Does dad life = no more Lambo?

Luxeous

I've been talking with my wife about this lately and would love to get some input from guys who have been in the same position as me. We had our first (and currently only) child last April and it's been the best time of my life. The one thing I never really ended up thinking of was how it'd effect my free time when it came to cars. Before I had a child I used to drive my 640 all the time but now I find I only get to take it out maybe 2-3 times a month. I absolutely love my car but there's a part of me that thinks I should just sell it, especially as we're thinking about having another child soon. Not using it just feels like I have money tied up for no reason as I don't see my ability to have more time changing with 2 kids.

On the flip side, keeping the car allows me to share this passion with my son as he grows up - this made me the most excited when I thought about how kids and cars worked together. My dad and I always bonded over cars so to have one that's this special to me really makes me feel like it's the kind of car I should just keep forever, no matter how much I drive it.

If I sell the car, I don't think I'd replace it with anything. A Monterey blue Murci roadster has been my dream car since I moved to LA and there honestly is nothing else out there that I find myself lusting after with it in my garage. (I look at this as a plus since it keeps me from constantly trying to find the next great thing lol.) I think my biggest concern now is that I could be making that money work for me instead of having it in a car I use so rarely.

Would love hear your thoughts.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I drive my gallardo every other month now. I am single. It has been raining a lot and the roads are a mess.

If you at least drive it a few times a year, the car is worth keeping. It won't depreciate in value and is a solid investment. Money can always be made.

Priorities change. I put close to 30,000 miles on my Gallardo in the 10 years I owned it, probably 3,000 miles in the last 4 or 5 years as my kids were growing before I sold it. Haven't missed it. Didn't have time to drive it. No replacement interested me, previously I always had a sports car in my garage going back to the early 90's. Panameras are on my radar, but that's about it. I bought an old Bronco instead and fixed it up, great for short trips to school and their after school activities around town. Something like that would probably be a handful in the hills where you live.

Think about it. How much do you need the $ and garage space the Lambo takes? Mine was just in storage for 18 months. No driving at all while we were between homes. I didn't care. It's a different life for you now and as long as you accept that your life and priorities changed then keep the car even if you only drive it once a month. If that's unacceptable then sell it and buy another in 10-15 years when you're kids are old enough to appreciate it.

Jason, please sell it to me, then in 5 years you'll want it back and I'll have to then double the price! Kidding aside you're in the early stage of Father hood, as they get older they do become easier and start to have more activities that eventually get old. Such as a Birthday part for a friend every other weekend...these are the times that I have a car life, while still participating on 90% of all their activities I do find the time for me time which is very important. As mentioned above I believe our specific cars will begin to appreciate more so in time, so if you look at it that way you sell now for X, while holding on to it value goes up as if your money was being put to work. I have two girls ages 6 & 8, one shows interest in the cars the other does not, I do hope shes's my car enthusiast.. moral of the story you'd regret selling it, this was and is your dream car!

My philosophy with the kids, they joined my life I didn't join theirs, I love them to death but I still do the things I love to so I sneak a bit of time here and there to drive the car, what stops me is working :(

Now if you need the money out of the car for different investments that's different, I always put investments before toys so the decision is simple, get rid of it there will always be another one.

Good luck with whatever you decide :icon_thumleft:

I've been talking with my wife about this lately and would love to get some input from guys who have been in the same position as me. We had our first (and currently only) child last April and it's been the best time of my life. The one thing I never really ended up thinking of was how it'd effect my free time when it came to cars. Before I had a child I used to drive my 640 all the time but now I find I only get to take it out maybe 2-3 times a month. I absolutely love my car but there's a part of me that thinks I should just sell it, especially as we're thinking about having another child soon. Not using it just feels like I have money tied up for no reason as I don't see my ability to have more time changing with 2 kids.

On the flip side, keeping the car allows me to share this passion with my son as he grows up - this made me the most excited when I thought about how kids and cars worked together. My dad and I always bonded over cars so to have one that's this special to me really makes me feel like it's the kind of car I should just keep forever, no matter how much I drive it.

If I sell the car, I don't think I'd replace it with anything. A Monterey blue Murci roadster has been my dream car since I moved to LA and there honestly is nothing else out there that I find myself lusting after with it in my garage. (I look at this as a plus since it keeps me from constantly trying to find the next great thing lol.) I think my biggest concern now is that I could be making that money work for me instead of having it in a car I use so rarely.

Same position, don't get to really use the car, can afford to sit it there but seems ridiculous to have it and not really use it like before, love it when i'm out in it but the effort it takes to do just kills some of the pleasure. Child not old enough to have any appreciation of such things, have been looking at 4 seaters FF, etc but its just not the same.

Doing the Lambo Euro tour round the Italian lakes in a couple of months and will decide then. Maybe just buy something a lot cheaper and then not concern myself about it sitting, trouble is everything these days used seems ridiculous prices!

You have seasons in life, and as we all know seasons change. The older your kids get the more you will have time for cars. My son and I spend most of our time doing something with cars. I couldn't imagine not having cars as a hobby in our life.

So keep the car. The fact that you are driving it a lot less just means you are spending more time being a good father .

I agree with Fortis, but to build on what he said...

I think it's important for your kids to see you how you really are and doing what you enjoy. That's modeling something healthy rather than showering them with 110% attention...teaching them that the world does not revolve around them, that you are not a helicopter, and that you can have a full and loving life together with branching interests. They can then grow up and see you as a whole person rather than as just a face that is always looking at them.

you guys are scaring me into not wanting to have kids lol

I see lots of my friends juggle both, so I don't think it has to be one or the other. but I'm not talking from experience.

Well, how about a Jeep?

Room for wife and two (yes two) child seats in the rear.

Off roading across your neighbors landscaping can be fun...haha.

Best wishes

Keep the car!!!!

I have 4 little ones and some of my cars don't get driven for a month. But I always find time to spin the wheels around. Additionally my kids don't have much interest in my cars. But cars are my passion and my wife is kind enough to let me keep them. I do take 1 of my kids to car events with me and sometimes they get bored. But I try to integrate them into my hobby.

I remember doing The Tour d''Orange New Years drive with my 3 year old in a bolster seat years ago. He fell asleep.

Then another time I took my 4 yr old on a canyon run and he threw up in my Murcie roadster (thankfully predicted this and had a bag in the car). Awww great memories you make with them.

With an infant (or toddler), it's hard to look into the future and see these things, but they will be important. Your time enjoying the car will fluctuate. Your kids' interest in the car will fluctuate, but it's your thing -- exactly as it should be.

In the last few decades we've moved to a parenting style in the West that perpetuates an attitude that good parents sacrifice everything for their kids. I've seen how moms are more susceptible to this outlook than dads (maybe because they grew that little baby inside their body!). They might drive dads into it more out of teamwork and dads don't want to disappoint. You might be a forward-thinking dad who is projecting what sacrifices must be made on your own. Sacrifice is a must and is inevitable, but the key word is "everything." Everything is a lot, and what will be left when they're grown? Are you planning on just being a couple of empty husks, but with wonderful well-adjusted children to show for it? Everything includes money, sex, time...your marriage. Because today, it's the car. Tomorrow it will be something else. The next day something else. Parental sacrifice has a snowballing effect, but it's hard to discern which sacrifices are necessary. I know a lot of suburban parents who have this idea that they will go through this phase of their lives where everything gets sacrificed and somehow they will simply resume their lives when it's over. Except that it's never over and this IS life. There's nothing to resume. I'd say your chances of launching well-adjusted young adults into the world is slim if you've sacrificed everything "for them." It's like turning off the engine, lights, and wipers 3/4 of the way home, at night, in the rain, and hoping to coast into your driveway without even as much as a practice run. You might come up short. Like Fortis said, they really just joined your life as it was going.

Somehow, the two of you found each other and discovered the wonderful things about each other that you fell in love with. Certainly you see each other as whole people and are confident enough in each other to value the other as a parent. Just think of all the things you both have to offer your children if you are wholly yourselves. You see it in each other, so why would you deny your children of that? Let them see you as adults. Let them see you love each other, and let them see you find your way to enjoy life and bring them along for the ride. When it comes time for them to find their way, they will be ready.

Keep the car and enjoy it on those days when you take it out. Don't count on your kids to become part of your passion for fine cars or cars in general. I am a car nut and both of my kids grew up in an environment where I was racing cars with SCCA and IMSA every other weekend at tracks all over the US. They saw all of this first hand and my wife would bring them to the track. Today they are 26 and 20 and don't care about cars in any way shape or form. They recognize this is my passion and not theirs and have told me as much. That's cool with me. They are brilliant children and well adjusted to life. Your children will find their own way and you should just provide all the love you can and watch them develop. Keep your passions though. Your passion about cars will be noticed and will have an impact on them. My daughter went to Road America with me last year to see some old friends and I was able to get on the track with her beside me for several laps. She told me later that she understands my passion for cars and enjoyed our day together. That's all you can ask for. Congrats to you on parenthood. It is the best thing going.

I was in a similar situation many years ago when my kids were little. I bought my first Viper when my daughter was 2 and was very involved with the Viper Club of America for 10 years. It was a great experience and my kids were part of it but not overly involved as it was "my thing". Years passed and I seemed to drive the Viper less and less and felt very guilty about it, so I sold it and bought my DD C63. My daughter cried the day I sold it!!

Years passed and I found myself really missing the "car" scene and wishing very much that I never sold it!! However, this led me to buying my LP570, so can't complain to much. My suggestion, keep it unless you have to sell for financial reasons. You will find that your life will change over the years.....

I have a two year old boy and 6 month old daughter-- my kid loves the cars and I don't even take the car seat out of the gallardo. He comes with me just about every time. Like someone mentioned above, the kids are joining my life and I guess they have to live with my boost addiction. :) I actually bought the GTR so I can put everyone in the car and cruise around.

I have and always will be a car guy. My 2 sons ages 9 and 11 are car guys too. I take turns dropping them off in the lambo and they love it. I teach them to wrench on my truck and the JEEP. All 3 of us race go karts and dirt bikes. When they were really little I used to bring them to the race track and sit them in a high chair with my wife when I did track days on my ninja ZX10. The point is that you can keep all your toys and have your kids share your passion. If I had daughters I would've done the exact same thing I'm doing with my boys.

Once you become the corny minivan dad you will look back one day and hate what you have become. Enjoy life, be an amazing dad, and enjoy your kids, it goes by fast

Dont sell the car. I have 4 kids and I have had toys in the garage since the day they were born. The kids do take up a big chunk of time. My 5 yr old 7 yr old love going for rides in the cars. My older son LOVES soccer and he has excelled at it. He was always the one I thought would be a car guy. Sports wasn't his thing but all of the sudden a light switch went off and he decided soccer was better than anything. I thought he would be the car guy but my 5 yr old is taking over that roll. I coach both their soccer teams as well so finding time for the toys can be a challenge but sometime I need a break as well and going out to the man cave is a stress relief. Kids are awesome and for me nothing is better in this world than being a dad. I also realize that dad's need some dad time too and even you neglect the toys for a while they are always there and for the few times they get used it's so worth it to have them. We also have sea doos, boat, atv and dirt bikes and I have other cars as well that rarely get driven but when they come out it puts a huge smile on my face and makes it worth having them. :icon_thumleft:

I have 3 kids.. all of them are lambo and car nuts because of my passion. I have bought and sold cars, but always come back to owning a lambo. the kids love the cars and it's a treat worth behaving for to go on a cruise with dad. Children love alone 1 on 1 time with dad. What better way to make them behave than the incentive to spend time with dad in the lambo. We get a treat at the gas station, go for a drive, and enjoy the car together.

You need to make sure you have your own passions and find time to enjoy them (even if it's a little bit each month). That will keep you sane because no matter if you're married or how many kids you have, you are still you and you need to do some things for just you to keep the batteries recharged.

I have 3 kids.. all of them are lambo and car nuts because of my passion. I have bought and sold cars, but always come back to owning a lambo. the kids love the cars and it's a treat worth behaving for to go on a cruise with dad. Children love alone 1 on 1 time with dad. What better way to make them behave than the incentive to spend time with dad in the lambo. We get a treat at the gas station, go for a drive, and enjoy the car together.

That is so cool!

That's an easy one: Keep your car. You have such an amazing car with that blue color. I would always prefer it to my white LP640. Even if you only drive the car once a month it's still worth it. Your kid will get older and want to drive with you in the Lambo. I have a 4 year old daughter and she loves driving with me in one of the Lambos. Last Friday I asked her if she wanted to join me picking up the Diablo GT a the dealership as it got a big service. She didn't hesitate a second or asked the mother if there was an alternative.

I think sharing the passion of cars with your kid(s) is something of the best a father can do. And the mother usually is quite happy as well as she has some spare time too. Even if you should have two kids later on that wouldn't be an issue.

Talking about using the car not that often: As I live in Switzerland I can't use my Lambos for about four to five months each year due to the winter. Would I sell them because of that? No way!

You see many reasons to keep your fantastic Lambo.