Need help buying a mattress

lambornima

So my mattress is really old and I'm getting back pain when I wake up. I need a new mattress. The mattress buying process is the most annoying and tedious goddamn process ever. There's a zillion types and each one is 1/2 an inch different than the other.

What's everyone's experiences with pocketcoils, memory foam (or a combination) and the three big brands (Sealy, Serta, Simmons)? What's with the super cheap memory foam mattresses that are 200-500 bucks? Am I asking for trouble with those?

Thanks,

Nima

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what you like. Asians, old people and Tiger Woods seem to like rock hard beds. I'm the opposite. I like plush as possible. In my opinion the memory foams are too firm till you get to the top of the line ultra plush $5000 mattress. Thats what I have and even then I feel it could be even plusher. I dont know much about others. I rented a condo last year that had a really nice and plush mattress, I had a look at it and it was a Stearns and Foster.

Get the best one you can at Ikea. Just make sure it is made in USA. It's made by seally or serta or whoever and it's pretty stellar.

Nima,

I've been in the mattress business for about 15 years. I have a six store chain and I would be happy to help you though this with no BS sales pitch. PM me if you want to discuss it. I recommend Tempurpedic. I can have everything delivered to your home in just a few days, and I can save you a few bucks as well. Several members here have gone through this process with me and can also give you some suggestions.

how is the sleep number? im thinking about pulling the trigger before Christmas.

I only used a sleep number bed a couple of times at a hotel (Radisson) so I assume it wasn't a high end model but I didn't like it. If you want a really soft mattress and lower the number a lot you end up feeling like you are on a 1/4 deflated air mattress.

I have the memory foam Serta icomfort because the budget wouldn't allow for a tempurpedic. I really like the memory foam mattress. When I first laid on them I thought they were too stiff but its because I wasnt used to memory foam.

how is the sleep number? im thinking about pulling the trigger before Christmas.

I have to say that I have trouble sleeping almost anywhere besides my own bed EXCEPT when I'm staying at a Hilton brand hotel and I believe they are all Sleep numbers. I don't even adjust them but I seem to sleep well. My home mattresses have been fairly cheap. Eventually I think I will just bite the bullet and go the Tempurpedic route.

Depends what you like. Asians, old people and Tiger Woods seem to like rock hard beds. I'm the opposite. I like plush as possible. In my opinion the memory foams are too firm till you get to the top of the line ultra plush $5000 mattress. Thats what I have and even then I feel it could be even plusher. I dont know much about others. I rented a condo last year that had a really nice and plush mattress, I had a look at it and it was a Stearns and Foster.

Did you own a memory foam or only trying in the store? I ask because I felt the same at first. That memory foam was too firm. but once we got used to it I realized that while firmer than my old mattress they are very comfortable and don't leave me with sore joints.

but as you said its really a matter of personal taste/comfort

I just got a sleep number a few months ago and have been very happy with it so far. Nice that it adjusts the head and feet up and down as well. Not sure what your budget is though.

I love my temperpedic!

imo worst beds ever. When i lay in them after about 5 minutes i feel dizzy and like i am on a rock.

We all have different experiences for sure.. lol

I just got a sleep number a few months ago and have been very happy with it so far. Nice that it adjusts the head and feet up and down as well. Not sure what your budget is though.

the sleep numbers run about 10k right?

the sleep numbers run about 10k right?

I didnt get the memory foam but the level down and I'm about $8500 in with their high end sheets.

We just got the top of the line Tempurpedic, I think it's the same one Allan has Cloud Luxe Breeze.

Softest one is still fairly firm. My wife sleeps on her front, no idea how she does it, sometimes I have to poke her to see if she is alive.

I sleep on my back. One of the best mattresses I've slept on, including Four Seasons and that shit. Stays cool all night, apparently some technology wicks heat away and disperses.

Don't like Tempurpedic pillows, have half a dozen of them. Got a gel pillow that removes heat and is constantly cool, does the trick.

I have a mid range Tempurpedic, and I will never waste money on any normal mattress again. My Tempurpedic is 5 years old and just seems to get better where as previously I was replacing $1000 mattresses every 16-24 months because they just felt dead after 12 months.

I think people that find Tempurpedic uncomfortable never bother trying one for more than 5 minutes in a store which doesn't give a good idea of the comfort level. You kind of have to take a leap of faith and allow the bed to break in before you come to realize just how comfortable they are.

I have minor lower back problems that I never notice after a nights sleep in my Tempurpedic, but after just a couple nights on a traditional mattress I notice the lower back pain returns and worsens until I get back to my bed.

i buy mine through costco. free delivery and if i dont like it, they pick it up from your house for free. they have great prices too around $1-2k for the whole set

i got two mattresses recently - full foam and a foam top. i like foam top more because it feel more normal. the full foam one feels like too much of a sponge. the foam top is a bit tall so make sure that works for you.

Did you own a memory foam or only trying in the store? I ask because I felt the same at first. That memory foam was too firm. but once we got used to it I realized that while firmer than my old mattress they are very comfortable and don't leave me with sore joints.

but as you said its really a matter of personal taste/comfort

I went from a regular spring mattress to the Tempur Cloud Luxe which is the most plush model. I rolled around on some of the lesser expensive Tempur modes and they just seemed really stiff to me. I would have went with another type of mattress before I bought one of the cheaper Tempur models. That's just me. To each their own.

I think Tempur needs to make couches. That material could make great couch cushions.

I sleep on my stomach so it is hard for me to find a bed I like. I have a bob-o-pedic. It's a knock off tempurpedic but it is fine for me. I have the soft one and it is much better than the firm.

I think Tempur needs to make couches. That material could make great couch cushions.

:iamwithstupid:

The manufacturer used memory foam in the custom couch I had them make for us, most comfortable couch ever!

The only thing I don't like from Tempur are their pillows.

I bought a new mattress about 8 months ago. I just bought the first one I liked. I think Mattresses are always "on sale", looked at two different places(before I decided to just buy) and they both had the sale of the century.

Thanks for the input guys. I gotta play in my budget too, can't be spending 5k on a mattress lol.

Depends what you like. Asians, old people and Tiger Woods seem to like rock hard beds.

My trip to Korea taught me that. I like a firm mattress but damn they like to sleep on plywood! The hospital beds were like wrestling/gymnastic mats....was so uncomfortable!

Came here to post the like to Allan's thread with Gary Javo but I see it has already been done! Go LP!