Just moved to a small town that is rapidly expanding. What avenues should I invest in?

IanMan

Hey all. I just moved to Sioux Falls South Dakota. It's a town of about 180,000 people. It is RAPIDLY expanding and seems like an incredible place for business. I currently have a few projects I'm working on, but would be interested to find out what most people here would look into if they were to move to such a place. Thanks for the help!

Real estate if you can find it. Especially if there is raw land that isn't sub-divided out. If there are hipsters in town go towards opening a brewery :lol2:

Ahh yes, real estate. The ultimate "I wish I was born 10 years earlier than I was" paradox for most people living in the big cities. :icon_mrgreen:

Hopefully no hipsters!

Real estate if you can find it. Especially if there is raw land that isn't sub-divided out. If there are hipsters in town go towards opening a brewery :lol2:

That trend started here about 3 to 4 years ago.

The problem with a lot of the raw land, is that a lot of the big companies have the outskirts already bought up. Some of the areas I have seen sit empty for years has all of a sudden been built up by the big real estate companies in town.

Definitely going to look into that! Trying to buy two properties this year and rent them out! And there are definitely some hipsters here, hahaha. I Love IPA's. Not a bad thought. ;)

Ahh yes, real estate. The ultimate "I wish I was born 10 years earlier than I was" paradox for most people living in the big cities. :icon_mrgreen:

Hopefully no hipsters!

Lots of hipsters! Lol!

I think this town will be one of those places, like you said! I sure hope it is, for my sake!

That trend started here about 3 to 4 years ago.

The problem with a lot of the raw land, is that a lot of the big companies have the outskirts already bought up. Some of the areas I have seen sit empty for years has all of a sudden been built up by the big real estate companies in town.

I can't believe it. I've never moved somewhere so small/big that so many new apartments and businesses were being built at once!

What's the reason for the growth?

I can't put my finger on it yet. People seem to be flocking to the area, but I don't know why. There is no oil boom or mineral boom in this state, so your guess is as good as mine. :read:

I can't put my finger on it yet. People seem to be flocking to the area, but I don't know why. There is no oil boom or mineral boom in this state, so your guess is as good as mine. :read:

there must be a reason, when you figure out what that is you will have a better idea what to invest in.

Google "South Dakota economic growth" and a bunch of articles come up. It has been America's fastest-growing state (economically) for some time now. Apparently the state has more bank assets than any other state except New York because the credit card and financial companies are all there, something due to a specific regulation they have (or don't have). Also a generally lax regulatory climate and low taxes. Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting are the largest contributors to the state's economy.

Google "South Dakota economic growth" and a bunch of articles come up. It has been America's fastest-growing state (economically) for some time now. Apparently the state has more bank assets than any other state except New York because the credit card and financial companies are all there, something due to a specific regulation they have (or don't have). Also a generally lax regulatory climate and low taxes. Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting are the largest contributors to the state's economy.

That's right...credit card companies.

But they've been there awhile, no?

Moves there himself.

Cannot figure out why other people are going there too.

Good luck with those projects but if the places is growing or expanding I would invest in light bulbs for street lights as they build roads they will need lights.

Speak to wheels for a supplier of light bulbs

Moves there himself.

Moved here on behalf of the Navy.

Good luck with those projects but if the places is growing or expanding I would invest in light bulbs for street lights as they build roads they will need lights.

Haha. Thanks. :icon_thumleft:

(Not sure if Wheels actually has anything to do with lightbulbs or if it is a joke. Frankly, nothing about Wheels surprises me anymore). ;)

Hey all. I just moved to Sioux Falls South Dakota. It's a town of about 180,000 people. It is RAPIDLY expanding and seems like an incredible place for business. I currently have a few projects I'm working on, but would be interested to find out what most people here would look into if they were to move to such a place. Thanks for the help!

a friend of mine made a killing making websites for small businesses in small towns, as well as providing web presence.

I hope the Navy made it worth your while , you are going to be in for a schock weather wise coming from Hawai

That's right...credit card companies.

But they've been there awhile, no?

Roughly 25 years. We can thank our longest ever serving Governor for that. Good jobs for low skill workers.

I hope the Navy made it worth your while , you are going to be in for a schock weather wise coming from Hawai

Global warming has been good to us this year. We had a stretch of very cold before doc got here, now it's spring like. But compared to Hawaii yea.

Moved here on behalf of the Navy.

Just curious, but what interest to the Navy is South Dakota? It's land-locked isn't it?

Haha. Thanks. :icon_thumleft:

(Not sure if Wheels actually has anything to do with lightbulbs or if it is a joke. Frankly, nothing about Wheels surprises me anymore). ;)

I made a big deal about the government banning the incandescent light bulb.

Moves there himself.

You're a trip! :lol2:

And don't speak to Wheels or you will have candles instead of light bulb's throughout the town.

Just curious, but what interest to the Navy is South Dakota? It's land-locked isn't it?

We have places in areas you wouldn't suspect.

I'm stationed at a reserve center here. I'm in charge of the medical department there.

Thanks for the advice, everybody!