Carbon Ceramic Brake Dust?

JanDaMan

Another funky question, but for those with CCB do you get grayish color stuff on your wheels over time? I am just now looking into new tires and I noticed each of my wheels has grayish color dots on just certain inside sections of the wheels as shown in the couple photos. It rubs out with some polish & effort, but I was just curious if anyone else gets this on their wheels. I don't think it is overspray, but it has the appearance of such in trying to describe what it looks like. The car was never repainted, and it is just odd that it is only on certain inward parts of the wheel spokes of each wheel. For instance, in the two photos shown below those gray dots are only on one side of each wheel spoke but not on the other side of each spoke. Yeah, its a good day if that's all I have to worry about in retirement huh. If I could get some new tires I would drive it more and then be able to see if more stuff shows up.

33227011433_984bcb35bc_b.jpgMurci Wheel by JanDaMan, on Flickr

33881907692_ea47803b17_b.jpgMurci Wheel by JanDaMan, on Flickr

Looks like sand blasting from normal driving to me. I have CCB on mine and hardly any dust and no build up.

I initially thought the same, but when buffing it off the wheel it comes off grey on the cloth and the polished section is completely smooth and flat. No big deal, I will just polish my last wheel and see if it returns over time.

I've seen that before, it is carbon ceramic material that somehow got baked on. Maybe high heat conditions. If you want to eliminate it permanently, put a ceramic coating on your wheels. I put Ceramic Pro on mine and it makes them super easy to clean. Actually put it on any wheels, it is an awesome product. I coat my cars also.

I've seen that before, it is carbon ceramic material that somehow got baked on. Maybe high heat conditions. If you want to eliminate it permanently, put a ceramic coating on your wheels. I put ceramic pro on mine and it makes them super easy to clean.

Thanks for the info. I figured it may be coming from the brakes due to it being on each wheel and the one side of the spokes. Googled the Ceramic Pro which looks like interesting stuff for the entire car as well. When I drive it more I will look to see if more shows up on the wheels. I usually wipe them down after a drive, but this stuff required a good deal of polishing to get it off. From what I read, it does seem like that Ceramic Pro would work well.

Had the same on my 560 with steels, always assumed it was road dust and grit doing it, but don't know the answer.

The cars I had later with ccb do t seem to do it though, maybe just the wheel design