Meanwhile, In Oregon.

Kerplop

Winter storm warnings for the next 3 days.  Several feet of snow, and 14 more inches between today and tomorrow.  Historical reports are saying this is the worst storm since the storm of 92-93, which was one of the worst storms in a century here.

3 major, multicar accidents on the way to work this morning.  Leaving town, entering another town, and decided to take a backroad... and another accident there.

People coming to d**n near stops on icy hills (you'd think people would have a basic understanding of momentum and force, but apparently not), and people nearly getting stuck from losing momentum.

People turning too fast and sliding into plow banks.  People hitting yield signs on roundabouts.

10 fatalities in 1 week from driving in this crap and people driving too fast or too stupid.

ol' reliable is still truckin' along in this stuff, and the turbo is still tearing it up.  Granted, I don't drive like an aggressive moron who thinks he is ken block. 

BP7DuiJ.jpg

asvT6Lb.jpg

ITLya7Q.jpg

Pro tip for driving a turbo on the ice

V8H6yVM.jpg

We've been suffering with snow and freezing temps up here in Vancouver for the past month.

Same. The cold snaps have been pretty crazy. Seen everything from -20F to single digits during the night and day. Today it's finally "warm" at a wonderful 34F.

I was in VT a couple weeks ago and they got some snow and I was surprised to see people in things like Priuses attempting to make it up hills. Of course they didn't and caused huge backups. Stay safe!

I was in VT a couple weeks ago and they got some snow and I was surprised to see people in things like Priuses attempting to make it up hills. Of course they didn't and caused huge backups. Stay safe!

You totally could make it up a hill with a prius, with the right equipment. Snow tires, chains, etc. A lot of people do not seem to understand that standard tires harden at these temps, and even with decent tread, the grip is not nearly as good as dedicated winter tires.

There's a really fantastic series of videos that demonstrate the differences:

I was at our ski house in VT over Christmas. Was nice that it snowed a bit but it gets old quick.

Kerplop, I think its time for an SUV!

I was at our ski house in VT over Christmas. Was nice that it snowed a bit but it gets old quick.

Kerplop, I think its time for an SUV!

I love my little Porsche cars. They do great in the snow. My main issue lately is cold start issues on my Turbo car, the 931. CIS issues of some sort. I suspect either a warmup regulator problem or a cold start valve/injector issue. It's very stubborn to start in the single digit or negative temps. The other car, my '79, will fire right up. Sadly though, it has all seasons, the turbo has snow tires. Though I DO have chains for the '79 in case shit gets really bad.

I was having starter issues, and the starter was actually getting stuck at freezing temps, along with a shitty main ground. Replaced the starter, the battery, all main grounds, and added an extra ground from the engine to the firewall where the main battery terminal connects. Brand new bosch starter, now it cranks like a king all day long.

But in incredibly cold temps... it was sputtering and barely firing. Cleaned out the cap and rotor, replaced all the plugs, and it'll cough at me. Shoot a little starting fluid in the air box and it'll usually start. Today it was above freezing, about 34F. If I turn the key and let the pump prime, then crank a few times, back off, prime again, it'll stubbornly, after several cranks, start.

It's entirely possible it /could/ be a weak fuel pump but I doubt it, since my AFR once it starts at idle is ideal, as is the AFR under the load, and the AFR under boost. The warmup regulator is responsible for controlling the fuel at cold temps while the car warms up. So I'm thinking it's very very lean at start, or the extra warmup injector isn't firing for cold start. I've got all of next week off, and the car is finally going into the body shop for repairs then. After I get it back with the shiny new paint job, I plan on troubleshooting my cold start issues. Last summer, when the car was warming up at certain altitudes in the valley, I noticed the AFR was a lot more lean, and it'd have a stumbling idle until the warmup reg was completely warmed up, and it'd return to normal. So I'm suspecting that could be an issue. There is also a fuel screen on the warmup reg, and I haven't checked to see if there's any debris.

Aside from that, i've only got stuck once this entire winter and that was due to a plow having moved all of the plowed snow into a turn lane on a main highway. I wasn't the only one stuck though, as the subaru in front of me, and the 4x4 pickup were trying to move, the light turned red, and once the momentum was gone we all were sitting there like idiots. The city finally must have got enough complaints because last time they plowed it, they finally pushed the snow out of the turn lane.

My wife has been pushing for a move to Oregon to be closer to her brother and his wife, as they are about to have their first child. They live in Portland. I don't do well without the sun, and I love Bend, so she has been pushing for a move there. I follow all the Bend websites, I have been there several times and love it, but the recent one with all the snow had me scratching my head.

SoCal is always nice, and I can fly to Portland for 70 bucks. Might have to do that instead.

My wife has been pushing for a move to Oregon to be closer to her brother and his wife, as they are about to have their first child. They live in Portland. I don't do well without the sun, and I love Bend, so she has been pushing for a move there. I follow all the Bend websites, I have been there several times and love it, but the recent one with all the snow had me scratching my head.

SoCal is always nice, and I can fly to Portland for 70 bucks. Might have to do that instead.

We tend to get a shit ton of snow every winter. This one is worse than most, but still, winters are crazy here. A lot of people choose to be snow birds and bend is a summer get away. Unless you really don't mind ice, slush, snow and sleet, then moving here permanently would definitely be something to think about. On top of this, the population boom here has been nuts. There's a lot more people than there used to be so the cost of living is rather retarded at the moment.

We tend to get a shit ton of snow every winter. This one is worse than most, but still, winters are crazy here. A lot of people choose to be snow birds and bend is a summer get away. Unless you really don't mind ice, slush, snow and sleet, then moving here permanently would definitely be something to think about. On top of this, the population boom here has been nuts. There's a lot more people than there used to be so the cost of living is rather retarded at the moment.

How many months a year do you have that though? I don't think it is that many.

How many months a year do you have that though? I don't think it is that many.

Varies. Seen winters where it's snowed once or twice mildly. Other winters where it's gone december to april. Others where it's snowed into july, albeit not much, but still did it. Super sporadic and never the same year to year lol.

You totally could make it up a hill with a prius, with the right equipment. Snow tires, chains, etc. A lot of people do not seem to understand that standard tires harden at these temps, and even with decent tread, the grip is not nearly as good as dedicated winter tires.

There's a really fantastic series of videos that demonstrate the differences:

there is a cult following of winter tire enthusiasts

there is a cult following of winter tire enthusiasts

One of my 924s has snow tires, the other has all seasons. The 931 with snow tires gets around 10x easier. While it isn't required, the extra peace of mind, along with the extra grip really is quite nice.

Looks like our "typical" winter weather of gloom and rain is returning up here in Vancouver next week. Hopefully the same weather heads down to Oregon soon because the winter we've been having up and down the coast isn't normal.

Looks like our "typical" winter weather of gloom and rain is returning up here in Vancouver next week. Hopefully the same weather heads down to Oregon soon because the winter we've been having up and down the coast isn't normal.

It's almost like the climate is changing. Funny thing that.

What I can't get over is when we have a big snowstorm and people get stranded on the road, and you see on the news the people stranded saying, "We were stranded out here with no food or water!" well um it's Upstate, NY, we get big storms occasionally and they don't just pop in out of nowhere, the weather authorities alert you to them ahead of time, usually a couple of days. You should never venture out into snowy weather or a severe storm without food, water, long underwear, salt, shovel, snow shoes, etc...basically you should be able to live in your car for a few days at least without the engine running without freezing to death or get out and walk on top of the snow if necessary (you don't want to walk through deep snow as any significant distance and you might drop dead due to exhaustion, hence the snowshoes). Maybe all of that sounds excessive, but IMO, it can save your life.

My mom and sister slid off a road and she being an idiot (my sister) had worn SANDALS, and my mom had to turn the engine off because of how the car was angled or something (I forget the exact reason), so he feet were starting to freeze.

I almost got killed driving home about a month ago. There is a road that can be clear but it goes through fields and these fields, due to the winds, cause big patches of snow to blow out over the road. I thought I was going slow enough, but this turned out to be an extra thick patch, so the car went out of control. I skipped into the opposite lane right into oncoming traffic. The car was turning leftward in a spin. I remember looking out the passenger window at the oncoming pickup truck and thinking the following:

1) Oh crap, this is it

2) Oh crap, this is gonna hurt

3) Crap, now the car is gonna get totaled and everything is gonna be ruined!

LUCKILY, however, the car kept rotating and managed to do a full 180, so the pickup truck, as it swerved, just barely managed to avoid hitting the car as the combination of the car finishing the 180 and the pickup swerving allowed a miss. The pickup then had to correct again to avoid skidding off the road, but I imagine it was a huge scare to the pickup driver as well because from their vantage point, for a second or two at least, it would have seemed 100% that they were going to smash straight into the side of a car.

Never driving any faster than 20 - 30 mph over that kind of snow patch from now on! Then there is the occasional problem of black ice in the mornings as well, where you can't see it but it can turn the road into a skating rink.

Yes, put four winter tires on my vehicle. The tread is also much better than the all-seasons.

I lived in Portland for a little over two years. Now back in LA... would never move back there again. Beautiful for sure.. but like you said can fly there for next to nothing.

I almost got killed driving home about a month ago. There is a road that can be clear but it goes through fields and these fields, due to the winds, cause big patches of snow to blow out over the road. I thought I was going slow enough, but this turned out to be an extra thick patch, so the car went out of control. I skipped into the opposite lane right into oncoming traffic. The car was turning leftward in a spin. I remember looking out the passenger window at the oncoming pickup truck and thinking the following:

1) Oh crap, this is it

2) Oh crap, this is gonna hurt

3) Crap, now the car is gonna get totaled and everything is gonna be ruined!

LUCKILY, however, the car kept rotating and managed to do a full 180, so the pickup truck, as it swerved, just barely managed to avoid hitting the car as the combination of the car finishing the 180 and the pickup swerving allowed a miss. The pickup then had to correct again to avoid skidding off the road, but I imagine it was a huge scare to the pickup driver as well because from their vantage point, for a second or two at least, it would have seemed 100% that they were going to smash straight into the side of a car.

Never driving any faster than 20 - 30 mph over that kind of snow patch from now on! Then there is the occasional problem of black ice in the mornings as well, where you can't see it but it can turn the road into a skating rink.

Damn Wheels, stay safe man!

NAAH PUSSIES!

Studded winter tires, more pedal to the metal and more opposite lock. Enjoy while it lasts! ;)

NAAH PUSSIES!

Studded winter tires, more pedal to the metal and more opposite lock. Enjoy while it lasts! ;)

We have a deadline on studded tires. They absolutely must be off by april 1st. With winters as crazy as this one, I'd rather just roll regular snow tires. The studs are only good for ice anyway.