Remove the HEAT SHIELD?

GQ IMAGE

So I have noticed on eBay a couple of LP-560's that have removed the factory heat shield in the engine bay where you can see the aftermarket exhaust. Is this safe? I know in the past, I did this to a couple of my Ferrari's because the aftermarket exhaust holds allot less heat then OEM. So I have a the Lamborghini Factory Racing Exhaust on my car, so is it safe to remove the heat shield?

Thoughts? Have you done this? Any melt or heat issues?

Thanks

GQ

So I have noticed on eBay a couple of LP-560's that have removed the factory heat shield in the engine bay where you can see the aftermarket exhaust. Is this safe? I know in the past, I did this to a couple of my Ferrari's because the aftermarket exhaust holds allot less heat then OEM. So I have a the Lamborghini Factory Racing Exhaust on my car, so is it safe to remove the heat shield?

Thoughts? Have you done this? Any melt or heat issues?

Thanks

GQ

Hi GQ,

if you do remove the heat shield, make sure you completely wrap the exhaust system with titanium heat tape, so heat does not crisp your rear bumper and wiring!

I have also gone one step further and completely shielded all of the inside of the bumper and diffuser with the following adhesive heat shield.

http://www.jegs.com/i/DEI/186/010399/10002/-1

Call me paranoiac, but no crispy bumper, fittings and wiring for me!!

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt and paid dearly for it!!

just my two cents worth.

cheers,

john

I ran my Gallardo without a heat shield and never had an issue despite not doing what Lamboperth suggested (which is a good idea). The factory exhaust is literally a boat anchor (75 pounds or so) and much larger compared to most aftermarket offerings.

• 1 month later...
I ran my Gallardo without a heat shield and never had an issue despite not doing what Lamboperth suggested (which is a good idea). The factory exhaust is literally a boat anchor (75 pounds or so) and much larger compared to most aftermarket offerings.

I would have to add that I am running a twin turbo setup, so you would expect heat to be generated in the rear part of the engine bay.

With all the heat tape wrapping on every hot component associated with the exhaust and turbo system, engine bay temp usually sits around 44 deg C.

cheers,

john