Anyone driven the Nordschleife?

cake

I'll be there this summer for a two day track event.

A friend shipped his 997.2 GT3 to Europe for 6 months. He's already driven the Nordschleife 4-5 times. He knows it quite well (with help from many hours on a simulator in preparation).

I've driven his car extensively on the highway but never on a track. He has modified it significantly including LW single mass flywheel. The clutch is VERY stiff and the shifter extremely "notchy".

I have his simulator (with 3 pedals/manual gated shifter) and can drive the 'Ring to my heart's content in prep for the trip. He did this for a couple months and memorized the circuit which helped him get up to speed quickly. I'm hoping to have it memorized.

I can choose from several cars on the sim, and the closest to his car is a 911R (I can also choose a GT4 ...options are endless including several Lambos!).

I'll have the first hour of each morning under yellow to get oriented. The event is limited to track cars (no public, no busses/motorcycles/tourists/ring taxis). The track time is continuous and only limited by the gas tank and my ability to focus. These are continuous laps (not the "tourist" laps where you must pit in and then pit out each time.

This track is HIGHLY intimidating at over 13 miles per lap. I'll only drive under good conditions (no rain).

Any advice?

It's fcuking terrifying! I've not done any laps of it on computer games etc and didn't have a clue where the next turn was. Lots of blind corners, undulating etc etc etc!

Did a few laps in a rental car as my 911 had a bad alternator. Rent a car - safer.

Get some passenger laps with someone that you trust with your life (seriously), know's the place well and you'll see that turns and corners you thought were...corners when you drive are almost straight with a competent driver! I went with a mate who has done hundreds of laps there in his 996 GT3 which is fully dialed in and heavily modified and we did a low 7 minute lap. It was unbelievable.

THANKS^

My friend will be in the right seat coaching me at every turn. He was coaching me on the simulator.

He said it'll help immensely - but it doesn't give a realistic idea of elevation change (which is enormous). I wouldn't attempt this without him in the right seat and I do trust him with my life (seriously). He's a great driver and coach and very dear friend.

If I can know whether the next turn is right/left I'm hoping it won't be so overwhelming.

One big concern is holding up others (no passing under yellow). I'm gonna try to grid last (or toward the back). He says I'll be fine and he knows my driving better than anyone.

I'll look into renting a car rather than drive his. We'll have a rental out of Paris (where we land) but it won't be appropriate for this event. I'll have to see about renting a more track suitable car that's insured for the purpose.

I'm appropriately terrified already :unsure:

Definitely intimidating, it's not called the green hell for nothing! But also incredibly awesome! Congrats!
thanks!

If you want to talk to someone local DoctaM3 has driven it.
J - I will reach out to him! Thank you!

That sounds like a great adventure, I hope you will have a tone of fun.
thanks Fortis! It will be fun no matter what! We also have VIP tickets for WEC 6 hour race on GP circuit. The racers will be there during our track days. I think the paddocks aren't too far apart (long walk or short drive) so there will be lots of cool stuff to look at!

If you haven't already, make sure you ask on Rennlist. There are lots of Europeans who spend a lot of time there.

Not surprisingly, it sounds like you are doing your homework and will do great no doubt. Have a blast.

If you haven't already, make sure you ask on Rennlist. There are lots of Europeans who spend a lot of time there.

Not surprisingly, it sounds like you are doing your homework and will do great no doubt. Have a blast.

Thanks Chad. I haven't yet^ but will. That's the only other forum I frequent and I've learned a lot from that community.

I raced a group A M3 there in 2000 and 2001, great track, took me 10 laps to get somewhat oriented, very fast and fun . If you have track experience, and you do, nothing to worry about. Just take your time learning the track and you will have a great time, simulator will definitely help.

I raced a group A M3 there in 2000 and 2001, great track, took me 10 laps to get somewhat oriented, very fast and fun . If you have track experience, and you do, nothing to worry about. Just take your time learning the track and you will have a great time, simulator will definitely help.
Thank you. I appreciate your opinion!

Drove 3 laps on the sim this evening.

Over 13 min first lap

12 min second lap

Crashed third lap and it wouldn't record the time. It wasn't a "lap-ending" crash but it was a lot of cosmetic damage type crash.

I was shifting (although not heel/toe- the pedals are awkward) and finally able to find gears without having to look (which caused several crashes a couple days ago).

I'm just starting to figure out the sim controls. At first all braking caused screeching tires and if this was reality I would have flat spotted tires several times.

Lost my post twice.........damn internet connection!!

Forcing me to type less and less, LOL:

http://nurburgring.org.uk/ring-taxi.php

Try out one of the Ring Taxis......I haven't done it but it seems to be a lot of fun. Sabine Schmitz is harder to track down now, Miss Queen of the Ring....she is famous for giving some of the more entertaining rides both on the driving and commentary end.

I feel you should be fine.....only a handful of corners are truly technical and Eau Rouge level tricky. As long as you know which ones those are, it doesn't seem to bad.

I need to know more about your friend's simulator.........off the shelf or custom?

It wasn't many years ago that 3 pedals & h-pattern shifter in a sim was asking the world!! :lol2:

I bought a couple laps and drove the Nordschliefe during the tourist days last year, but it was raining. Made it two turns before coming upon a car buried into the barriers.

Obviously nothing can really prepare you for the real thing because of the immense size and the ever changing surface, but my advice would be anywhere you see large spectator crowds in the distance, there are likely danger zones. They congregate in areas where good YouTube videos are waiting to be made.

It's a great experience that every car nut should cross off.

Try out one of the Ring Taxis.....

I feel you should be fine.....only a handful of corners are truly technical and Eau Rouge level tricky. As long as you know which ones those are, it doesn't seem to bad.

I need to know more about your friend's simulator.........off the shelf or custom?

It wasn't many years ago that 3 pedals & h-pattern shifter in a sim was asking the world!! :lol2:

I'll post some photos of the simulator. I don't think it's anything "special" - he said about $1000 all in. We opted to use our smart TV instead of his puny monitor (size matters in this case :icon_mrgreen:)

No time for ring taxi. We'll arrive the evening before the event which is closed to non-registered participants. I either have to rent a car specifically for the track (I'm checking to see if allowed) or drive my friend's car (preferably with track insurance).

I'm below 11 second laps as of this morning.

I am glad you are going to Germany, gives you a chance to see what sandwiches the German women serve up
I'll be taking copious notes and asking for recipes and cooking tips on how to feed a captain in captivity (after all....you'll need your strength)

Nothing to add, just have a fantastic time and be safe!
Thank you!

I bought a couple laps and drove the Nordschliefe during the tourist days last year, but it was raining. Made it two turns before coming upon a car buried into the barriers.

Obviously nothing can really prepare you for the real thing because of the immense size and the ever changing surface, but my advice would be anywhere you see large spectator crowds in the distance, there are likely danger zones. They congregate in areas where good YouTube videos are waiting to be made.

It's a great experience that every car nut should cross off.

Thanks DBK. The simulator actually reflects this^ with crowds of people at certain corners (like "youtube corner".

I doubt I'll drive at all in the rain - just not worth the risk. It's two full, open days and I'm hoping at some point conditions will be good (but if not I'll still have a blast and make the best of it).

Think of road Atlanta, Mosport , the glen and tremblant all in one go . The elevation change going down is a little tricky as the some of the corners are tight but after that it is all about remembering the track as there are a ton of blind sweeping corners . As I said , not too difficult for someone who has track experience and hardly a death trap at 8/10 .

Think of road Atlanta, Mosport , the glen and tremblant all in one go . The elevation change going down is a little tricky as the some of the corners are tight but after that it is all about remembering the track as there are a ton of blind sweeping corners . As I said , not too difficult for someone who has track experience and hardly a death trap at 8/10 .
^Very helpful! I've not done Tremblant (yet - on the list) but this puts it in a perspective I can relate to.

With enough laps on the simulator I'm fairly certain I can have it memorized beforehand. I'm already recognizing certain sections and corners.

Most of my crashes (so far) are at Tiergarten between km 19-20 and it's simply because I'm going too fast and my vision can't go far enough ahead for inputs. I drop two wheels because I'm misjudging the turn, and at those speeds there is no chance of recovery.

Thanks Aram!

• 4 weeks later...