First time buying a lambo

Hey guys,

Just looking to get my first Lamborghini.

It's a 2004 gallardo manual with 45,000kms on the clock.

Just wondering what things usually tend to fail on these or what I should look out for?

I'm based in Australia and the car is a U.K. Import.

Also how often should they be serviced?

I'm sure this has already been covered before but searching off my iPhone I couldn't find it. Only a link from 2009 that must of been removed.

Many thanks in advance

Hey guys,

Just wondering what things usually tend to fail on these or what I should look out for?

I'm sure this has already been covered before but searching off my iPhone I couldn't find it. Only a link from 2009 that must of been removed.

Many thanks in advance

Let's move this to General Discussion and get some answers for you.

Craigbuckley welcome to LP.

Being a manual you won't have many issues, the older E-gear cars had issues with the original clutches but they were all replaced under warranty, the other thing to look out for are dirty throttle bodies other than that they are pretty bullet proof.

Look for a good independent mechanic or a Lamborghini dealer and give it a good PPI, also U.K. cars Aussie delivered cars are exactly the same and come from the same factory so don't let the "grey market" BS put you off, buy cheaper sell cheaper.

I am sure other more technical guys will chime in with more info.

Good luck with whatever you decide :icon_thumleft:

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys,

Many thanks in advance

Hiya there.

I have had my 2004 E gear G for a year and a half.

I love it to bits and have done a lot of repairs and mods to it myself to give it a personal touch and keep it running.

Look, its Italian, its a supercar - an old supercar with higher k's, like mine.

Its not a boring Jap car that runs everyday and has no sole.

Unfortunately my G wasnt looked after and I have spent more on maintenance than I was hoping to in the early stages but thats life.

Just to give you an example, I need to replace ALL the plastic wheelhouse trim above the tyres.

They are thin plastic 'nothings' which cost a couple of hundred dollars on your average car - even though they cost cents to make.

They cost around NZ$4000 to replace on the 2004 G - absolutely criminal.

The common faults are;

Front lift kit failure,

E gear system failure - mainly hoses - wont be an issue for you though,

Power steering hose failure - GET GOOD INSURANCE as this is fatal for the car as it catches fire! ( most cars should have had these replaced by now though ),

Heated seat circuit failure - GET GOOD INSURANCE........,

Active spoiler failure,

Front suspension lower arm ball joint failure - ball joint is NOT replaceable like most other vehicles and cost.......NZ$3000 to replace the whole arm!!!!!! - after considerable looking around I managed to get mine rebuilt,

Dirty throttle bodies - although this is a maintenance issue NOT a part fault.

There are a few others that escape me but these are the main ones.

Just get it checked out thoroughly first - my rear diff / gearbox was as black as old diesel engine oil and it is, surprise surprise, expensive also.

Do a lot of online searching, I found diff oil on E bay directly from Italy for a quarter of the price that thieving Lamborghini NZ charge for

( NZ$100 a litre - 6 litres needed in total ) and even with the expensive shipping per bottle it still cost me less than half that.

Personally, if I could start over again, I honestly would go for the later version 2009 which are a lot better than the previous models as most faults have been ironed out as is the norm in later versions.

This is the best place for all your needs - [email protected]

They have been a life saver but still have a look around for possible better deals.

Best of luck and we hope you join the family.

Mark.

Check the reverse mirror. If's it's a self-dimming one, get it replaced with a manual dimming one a.s.a.p. The fluid inside the self-dimming one tends to leak and is highly corrosive; it will ruin the A/C control panel directly below. Lambo cancelled the self-dimming one on the later cars. Also check for condensation on the taillights, some of the earlier cars have sealing issues resulting in moisture getting inside the lens.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome! Finally a new person with some sense :eusa_dance: Best of luck on your search!