The Porsche 919 beats F1 car...

woocasz

Cool stuff. I wonder, if you gave an engineer an unlimited budget to build a car with no restrictions with the sole objective of setting the fastest lap time around the greatest road courses in the world, what that car would look like.

Cool stuff. I wonder, if you gave an engineer an unlimited budget to build a car with no restrictions with the sole objective of setting the fastest lap time around the greatest road courses in the world, what that car would look like.

Probably not something a human being would be able to ride in for any appreciable amount of time.

Heard of the Red Bull X2010? Much aligned with your thoughts.

Theoretical of course, but pretty sweet none the less.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull_X2010

EDDB5820_D672_49A9_AA97_F372FEA86585.jpeg

Heard of the Red Bull X2010? Much aligned with your thoughts.

Theoretical of course, but pretty sweet none the less.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull_X2010

EDDB5820_D672_49A9_AA97_F372FEA86585.jpeg

I've driven that thing on my simulator a bunch of times. I think I did a lap around the 'Ring in under 4 minutes if I remember correctly.

I wonder if, 8 years on, the specification of that purely theoretical vehicle would be any different. Would it be hybrid? Would it be pure electric?

IMO it will resemble an F1 car over other designs, and will have a lot more fancy aero tricks than they do now.

I agree with Nima that they can probably already exceed the human capability to drive it if they wanted to, or hit the plateau of usable performance.

Jesus christ. Faster than the 2017 F1 cars?!

Derestrict an F1 car and see what happens. 919 going to the ring, it will shatter Bellof's record of 6.11 , my guess around 5.30

Rumor says it is going to Nordschleife next.

BTW.

Derestrict current F1 from fuel starvation and it will go much faster...

• 4 months later...

A few things. The recent Spa race the top three all broke that record. Also and I am not belittling the monster that this Porsche is but the warm up lap consisted of the 919 driving out of the pits and then turning left driving a few corners back then turning around and starting the lap with a run up.

That is because the tyres would not last a warm up lap and a hot lap.