My wife likes to play the lotto

Roman

I know, I know.... A tax for people bad at math....

She damned near won a big one.

Winning numbers:

1 6 11 17 33 M-13

Our numbers

1 6 12 17 33 M-32

As it is the tickets worth seventy someodd bucks....

If we had 12 instead of 11 it would have been $60K+.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well we can surely say you are seventy dollars better:)

Not to thread jack but this reminds me of my fathers crazy "almost" story

For about a week, he had this set of numbers going through his head. (Combination of birthdates, certain digits in SSN's, etc) He had no idea why they kept coming up and for some strange reason, he couldnt forget them.

One night he and my step mother go out to get gas for the next day because he had to leave early the next morning and didnt feel like getting it then. The night was rainy and windy, just bad weather. He figures what-the-hell and he tells Cindi (my step mother) "go inside and run these numbers for Mega Millions" She had never done it before so didnt know how and didnt want to go out in the rain. She told my Dad to, he didnt know how either and also didnt feel like getting out in the rain. (My family doesnt really play the lottery hence their ignorance about playing)

When falling asleep, the lottery comes on and they were watching in bed. Hit EVERY FUKIN number!!! Mega ball and all

BUUUT he didnt buy a ticket..... fcuk

He still gets mad everytime that is brought up around him. He'll be kicking himself in the ass for the rest of his life...

Not to thread jack but this reminds me of my fathers crazy "almost" story

For about a week, he had this set of numbers going through his head. (Combination of birthdates, certain digits in SSN's, etc) He had no idea why they kept coming up and for some strange reason, he couldnt forget them.

One night he and my step mother go out to get gas for the next day because he had to leave early the next morning and didnt feel like getting it then. The night was rainy and windy, just bad weather. He figures what-the-hell and he tells Cindi (my step mother) "go inside and run these numbers for Mega Millions" She had never done it before so didnt know how and didnt want to go out in the rain. She told my Dad to, he didnt know how either and also didnt feel like getting out in the rain. (My family doesnt really play the lottery hence their ignorance about playing)

When falling asleep, the lottery comes on and they were watching in bed. Hit EVERY FUKIN number!!! Mega ball and all

BUUUT he didnt buy a ticket..... fcuk

He still gets mad everytime that is brought up around him. He'll be kicking himself in the ass for the rest of his life...

OH MAN!! That's a tough one to live with!

I have a couple stories about lotto wins (almost wins)

A few years ago a friend of my dad won a decent lotto but it could have been so much more. He was in a group of 16 people at work. They all played the same number week after week. One week the lotto is about 10 million. as per usual they all had their money in for a group buy.

the number came in and the treasurer of the group checked them. She damn near had a heart attack as they had gotten 6 of 7 numbers (good for about 10% of the 10mil jackpot).

The next day they all went to the lotto center to collect the cheque, only to be told that not 1, but 4 other tickets also won. so the 1mil was then split in 4, and they they had to split their portion by 16. He eneded up winning the lotto and recieving 16grand. nothing to sneeze at, but talk about a waisted chance. It doubtful he will ever had another large win in the lotto.

another story was told to me by my neighbor.

Several years back this guy who worked with my neighbor went out and bought about $100 worth of lottery tickets. The jackpot was one of the largest to date in Canada (something around 20million). Later that day when doing the laundry, he forgot to empty his pockets and the tickets go destroyed in the wash.

Now i'm sure thats happened to the best of us once or twice but here's the real kicker:

The winning ticket was sold in our city and was NEVER collected. They allow you 1 year to claim the prize. About a month before it expired the news paper reminded everyone to check their old tickets. No one ever claimed that prize so it went into a bonus pool for a much larger lotto a few weeks later.

That guy couldn't help but think that he washed away 20million in the washing machine that night.

I myself used to play the lotto all the time. i have since decided that unless the jackpot is over 10 mil, its not worth the 5 bucks for a ticket. When it gets over 20, i generally make a point to try.

I know several people that have won, here's a rundown of their situations:

1- won 9 million, all her adult children quit their jobs and pursued careers in acting and other bs. Milked the poor woman dry and in the process she lost almost all of her real friends.

2- won 28 million, purchased 6 million dollar home, about 4 million in yachts and another 600k in cars. within two years was near broke and in up to his head in a massive fraud scheme. Ended up getting run over by another boat while diving off of Key Biscayne and sawed into three pieces just before he was to be indited.

3- won 20 million, closed his multi generation family business and moved to florida. Lived modestly over the past decade and a half but is now nearing the end of his lottery payout and is near broke.

I'd love to say I knew someone that did well with the money!

I know several people that have won, here's a rundown of their situations:

1- won 9 million, all her adult children quit their jobs and pursued careers in acting and other bs. Milked the poor woman dry and in the process she lost almost all of her real friends.

2- won 28 million, purchased 6 million dollar home, about 4 million in yachts and another 600k in cars. within two years was near broke and in up to his head in a massive fraud scheme. Ended up getting run over by another boat while diving off of Key Biscayne and sawed into three pieces just before he was to be indited.

3- won 20 million, closed his multi generation family business and moved to florida. Lived modestly over the past decade and a half but is now nearing the end of his lottery payout and is near broke.

I'd love to say I knew someone that did well with the money!

And then theres guys like me... If I won, I wouldnt change a fcuking thing about my lifestyle....

And then theres guys like me... If I won, I wouldnt change a fcuking thing about my lifestyle....

Warren Buffet style!

I get the impression you live reasonably well to begin with.

that's the thing, most people who win are in the sub $50k/yr income level and think this gave them the keys to live like Katzenburg. If they would scale it back just a wee bit, they wouldn't have a financial care in the world for the rest of their lives.

LIAR! You'd pay someone to gain weight for you!

He had a Verde Ithaca LP640 :icon_thumleft:

If I won, I wouldn't change too much. I would buy myself a modest home, a couple nice cars, pay them cash, and relax. I also wouldnt take the lump sum. I would divide it over 30 years.

LIAR! You'd pay someone to gain weight for you!

No... But I might pay somebody to exercise for me.

Funny thing is too Romandad, the very first time I played, I hit 4 out of 6 numbers for $87.00 on an $88 Million dollar lotto. I was SOOOO pissed I missed it by 2 numbers that I almost didnt collect the $87.00. I show up to the supermarket, and hand in the ticket and the cashier thought I won, and looked at it again.

Funny thing is too Romandad, the very first time I played, I hit 4 out of 6 numbers for $87.00 on an $88 Million dollar lotto. I was SOOOO pissed I missed it by 2 numbers that I almost didnt collect the $87.00. I show up to the supermarket, and hand in the ticket and the cashier thought I won, and looked at it again.

I won 120 Once a long time ago..... I think that must have been 4 out of 6 as well.... But this is by far (one fcuking digit???) the closest Ive ever gotten to a big one.

He had a Verde Ithaca LP640 :icon_thumleft:

YEP! He drove the piss out of it, the US Marshals service had it for a while, then to the dealer, wrecked twice in the interim!

I thought about the "if you dont play, you cant win" thing, hell someones gotta win....but when i finally almost bought a ticket i just felt ghetto all over. i dont know why, and i certainly dont have anything against people who play...but it just felt so weird that i couldnt do it.

I buy tickets on cars and bikes in malls and stuff like that (for some reason i actually think i have a chance on those), but for now i avoid the big power ball/649 style lotteries.

Is it better to take the payments? Is there a chance you stop getting them 10 years out?

Playing the lotto is similar to playing slots for me - I can lose my money on roulette and black jack, thank you very much.

I think it's better to take the lump sump, but I'm not sure how they do the Net Present Value calculations [i think the full amount is for the future calculate value].

I'd take lump sum

Some of these lotteries are making it into $3XX,000,000 amounts (albeit rare but $100M+ is not too incredibly rare)

Take whatever you happen to get after Uncle Sam bends you over and if nothing else, live off the interest the money generates...