Lamborghini's Racing History. Does it even exist?

Chris987

I was thinking about this the other day when it occurred to me: I don't think there are any Lambo's racing, and what have they done with themselves.

Most of the great auto makers race. Porsche are the endurance kings with the most Le Mans and Targa Florio wins. Ferrari has the most Formula One victories. But what about Lamborghini. Have they ever won Le Mans, the Mille Miglia, F1 or any other big races (I know they tried F1 briefly and it didn't work out). I am just wondering, since I don't know that much about Lambo. Does VW just let Audi and Bently racing do all their talking for them?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lambo as a company did not like racing.Which means,there are no racing trophies or history.Not much has changed since the new ownership with Audi.

Furrucio set out to make the worlds best ROAD cars.

Furrucio set out to make the worlds best ROAD cars.

Exactly..he wanted Lamborghinis to be the best road cars that could beat the race cars. I love that man...in a plutonic sort of way...

On the streets i would say their racing history is 2nd to none !  :twisted:

On the street it's quite true that VAG is the one to beat but their brand that's the one to beat ain't Lambo it's Bugatti.

That said there are a lot of street based racecars that leave Lambo's street based race cars far behind. Aston, C orv ette, Ferrari, Porsche, etc., etc.

The only street based car to have ever won Le Mans outright remains Mc Laren.

Lambo has built a few cars strictly for racing (e.g. Diablo SE30 Jota, SVR, GTR and Murcie R-GT), but has as a company never competed, and probably never will.

That said there are a lot of street based racecars that leave Lambo's street based race cars far behind.  Aston, C orv ette, Ferrari, Porsche, etc., etc.

In terms of performance, maybe yes for some, but Lamborghini is synonymic to exotics and fast supercars probably more than any other brand. hb

Lamborghini is wild...sure some cars are faster, less expensive...but what poster was on your wall when you were ten? Let alone every other boy in your neighborhood... it was Lamborghini. Not Corvette, Not Aston.....it was and always will be the Lamborghini

On the street it's quite true that VAG is the one to beat but their brand that's the one to beat ain't Lambo it's Bugatti.

That said there are a lot of street based racecars that leave Lambo's street based race cars far behind. Aston, C orv ette, Ferrari, Porsche, etc., etc.

Jota , I think you and I simply differ when it comes to street credibility or what we think a street car is. Your mind set of street cars are the ones that run on at road Atlanta with decals all over them that have as much in common with the car they represent at the dealership as an Apple and a watermelon. I am talking about turn key , drive it home from the dealership street cars. I am talking about Air conditioned, grocery getting , take it out on the strip bar street car.

and I repeat...on the street bone stock I will put my 5 year old lambo up against any of current Aston, C orv ette, Ferrari, Porsche, etc., etc. When I am running down 1-75 or at the red light you can bet your ass that no Aston will strike any fear in me.

Jota , I think you and I simply differ when it comes to street credibility or what we think a street car is. Your mind set of street cars are the ones that run on at road Atlanta with decals all over them that have as much in common with the car they represent at the dealership as an Apple and a watermelon. I am talking about turn key , drive it home from the dealership street cars. I am talking about Air conditioned, grocery getting , take it out on the strip bar street car.

and I repeat...on the street bone stock I will put my 5 year old lambo up against any of current Aston, C orv ette, Ferrari, Porsche, etc., etc. When I am running down 1-75 or at the red light you can bet your ass that no Aston will strike any fear in me.

CGT?

Enzo?

Veryon?

Those are pure street cars no? Current? While the Enzo no longer is the CGT still is and Veryon will be available for years. I think Lambo's are great, but they are by no means the fastest bone stock street legal cars.

A Veryon could spot your car to 125 and still beat it to 200. That is fast.

As far as street cars go, I like Porsche the best because they are the most reliable exotic. I know my 987 isn't exotic, but I would rather commute to and from Gainesville in a 911 Tubro than in a Diablo. I would love to have a Diablo, but I would have to be a second European sports car.

CGT?

Enzo?

Veryon?

Those are pure street cars no? Current? While the Enzo no longer is the CGT still is and Veryon will be available for years. I think Lambo's are great, but they are by no means the fastest bone stock street legal cars.

A Veryon could spot your car to 125 and still beat it to 200. That is fast.

All 3 cars are world class supercars , not even considered as an exotic by most, including myself. Its a supercar and should be that fast as reflected in the price and the pecking order to buy one. Pure breed specialty car .... Compare any non specialty/supercar street car of any of the above brand to any street lambo and i say again....... my 5 year old lambo will run with or outrun any of their current car's on the street. Any aston , GT2, GT3, Z0--6, 360,430, ETC . I can run with or outrun any of them on the street with a 5 year old lambo and thats the only racing history i care about when i go to the dealership with my cash !

As far as street cars go, I like Porsche the best because they are the most reliable exotic. I know my 987 isn't exotic, but I would rather commute to and from Gainesville in a 911 Tubro than in a Diablo. I would love to have a Diablo, but I would have to be a second European sports car.

I owned a 993 TT and a 993 cab for a couple of years. Both wonderful cars but neither one are exotics. More of a thoroughbred sports car . Both very easy to drive and both reliable and fast but a lambo they are not. I know a lot of guys on here drive their lambos quite a lot. Mine were always bought just for recreation and i only drive them on occasion. No way would i consider driving them as a commute car uness i went with a Gallardo.

Lamborghini is wild...sure some cars are faster, less expensive...but what poster was on your wall when you were ten? Let alone every other boy in your neighborhood... it was Lamborghini. Not POS, Not Aston.....it was and always will be the Lamborghini

This pretty much says it all....

Regardless, I was gutted when they pulled the R-GT's from the ALMS. That about made my season seeing those car in person shooting fire lap after lap. I for one will miss seeing them compete and hope at some point Audi makes up their mine to do it again and do right. Perhaps with the Gallardo. Whether they race or not has never waivered my desire to own one and never will. Does not mean I still would not like to see them on the world stage being competitve.

I think what Jota is trying to say is that boys race on the street, while men race on the track.  

:)

So what your saying is...... since Toyota has a race program that makes every Toyota Celica owner a man and every Zonda or CCR owner a boy. Gee what were they thinking for buying a POS like that with no racing heritage? Of course I could have bought a nice Monte Carlo or beretta out of the auto trader and got myself tons of racing heritage and saved myself $200,000 to boot. Geezz what was I thinking ? :roll:

I think what Jota is trying to say is that boys race on the street, while men race on the track.  

Thats because too many people have a myopic thought process that the "ultimate road car" has something to do with "street racing" or "being the fastest." NOTHING could be farther from the truth... Its about getting from point A to Point B BETTER than everybody else... Not neccesarily FASTER... You want fast, go get a POS and put 10 grand of aftermarket shit on it... Youll go REAL FAST. Ill still feel sorry for you because youre driving a POS...

To me the Lamborghini is DEFINITELY the ultimate road car, for the reasons already stated. And also, think about why the company began producing CARS in the first place... Its a perfect example with the SHORTCOMINGS of over-relying on race technology on a road car.

The Clutch in the Ferraris SUCKED ASS... Which combined with Enzo's response to the problem (basically, "go fcuk yourself.") caused Ferrucio to create the cars I LOVE.... Enzo cared as much about the road cars (which were already built by FIAT) as Ferrucio did about racing.... NONE.

Case in point- A clutch that only lasts 1000 miles is not a big deal for a race team... You'll put a new one in before each race... but on a ROAD CAR, thats completely unacceptable. An engine that needs to be rebuilt every few thousand miles- not a big deal for a race car...Youve got three spare engines to throw in it... BUT ITS A MAJOR fcuking HEADACHE ON THE STREET. Body style- A race car ONLY has to be FAST... NOTHING ELSE MATTERS... Not looks, styling, beauty or anything else... In my opinion, Lamborghini wins that contest HANDS fcuking DOWN to every other mark mentioned... The Veyron is fast as hell... A hell of a lot faster than most of its owners will ever be able to drive... It looks like a VW Beetle after its been squeezed through an ANUS.

So what your saying is...... since Toyota has a race program that makes every Toyota Celica owner a man and every Zonda or CCR owner a boy. Gee what were they thinking for buying a POS like that with no racing heritage? Of course I could have bought a nice Monte Carlo or beretta out of the auto trader and got myself tons of racing heritage and saved myself $200,000 to boot. Geezz what was I thinking ? :roll:

No, you misunderstood. I didn't mean to " quote Jota"....I was really speaking from my perspective on this issue, and was trying to be funny.

I'm referring to the OWNERS of these cars, not the heritage of the cars in question. So to me, I respect the philosophy of an NSX/POS/Viper owner who autocrosses, does track events, and maybe races his car there as well.....vs. say the king of all "racing heritage" a Ferrari owner who never takes his car to the track, and prefers to race his car on the street.

I'm knocking the whole drag race on the street mentality. Sure, I guess it's fun to mess around from time to time on the street, but to make that your home of racing and to neglect the race track, is to not fully appreciate what these cars are capable of.

Thats because too many people have a myopic thought process that the "ultimate road car" has something to do with "street racing" or "being the fastest." NOTHING could be farther from the truth... Its about getting from point A to Point B BETTER than everybody else... Not neccesarily FASTER... You want fast, go get a POS and put 10 grand of aftermarket **** on it... Youll go REAL FAST. Ill still feel sorry for you because youre driving a POS...

To me the Lamborghini is DEFINITELY the ultimate road car, for the reasons already stated. And also, think about why the company began producing CARS in the first place... Its a perfect example with the SHORTCOMINGS of over-relying on race technology on a road car.

The Clutch in the Ferraris SUCKED ASS... Which combined with Enzo's response to the problem (basically, "go **** yourself.") caused Ferrucio to create the cars I LOVE.... Enzo cared as much about the road cars (which were already built by FIAT) as Ferrucio did about racing.... NONE.

Case in point- A clutch that only lasts 1000 miles is not a big deal for a race team... You'll put a new one in before each race... but on a ROAD CAR, thats completely unacceptable. An engine that needs to be rebuilt every few thousand miles- not a big deal for a race car...Youve got three spare engines to throw in it... BUT ITS A MAJOR fcuking HEADACHE ON THE STREET. Body style- A race car ONLY has to be FAST... NOTHING ELSE MATTERS... Not looks, styling, beauty or anything else... In my opinion, Lamborghini wins that contest HANDS fcuking DOWN to every other mark mentioned... The Veyron is fast as hell... A hell of a lot faster than most of its owners will ever be able to drive... It looks like a VW Beetle after its been squeezed through an ANUS.

I agree that a cool road car should have compromises in its styling and suspension to be liveable on the street.

And with respect to the notorious clutch in Ferruccio's Ferrari(s), are we positive that Ferrari was using racing clutches in a street car?? It might have been subpar for sure, but I doubt it was longevity that was the issue.

BTW, Lamborghini's original big gun Engineers were Ferrari walkouts......and Ferruccio has admitted to have taken talent from Ferrari over the years. So with the technical aspects all taken care of, it was all a matter of having a different philosophy on styling, and road compromise.

Thats because too many people have a myopic thought process that the "ultimate road car" has something to do with "street racing" or "being the fastest." NOTHING could be farther from the truth... Its about getting from point A to Point B BETTER than everybody else... Not neccesarily FASTER... You want fast, go get a POS and put 10 grand of aftermarket **** on it... Youll go REAL FAST. Ill still feel sorry for you because youre driving a POS...

The Clutch in the Ferraris SUCKED ASS... Which combined with Enzo's response to the problem (basically, "go **** yourself.") caused Ferrucio to create the cars I LOVE.... Enzo cared as much about the road cars (which were already built by FIAT) as Ferrucio did about racing.... NONE.

A clutch that lasts only 1000 miles would be a problem in mine where it went 3000+miles in 24 at SPA.

You ever own a 60 Ferrari or do you just make this bulls hit up? I drove my 66 GTB Comp car 65K miles on the street never changed the clutch. Never rebuilt the engine either.

I have driven Ferraris over 400K miles on the street and never needed to change a clutch.

This thread is Lambo Racing no? Lambo has never won a major race ever.

That isn't the reason people buy them because if the people who cared about how Lambo's did in real racing they wouldn't buy them.

As for being Lambo's being the ultimate road car meaning:

"Thats because too many people have a myopic thought process that the "ultimate road car" has something to do with "street racing" or "being the fastest." NOTHING could be farther from the truth... Its about getting from point A to Point B BETTER than everybody else..."

If you think Lambo's are great GT cars I agree that the M is but If I was driving from NY to LA I wouldn't be taking a CT.

Thats because too many people have a myopic thought process that the "ultimate road car" has something to do with "street racing" or "being the fastest." NOTHING could be farther from the truth... Its about getting from point A to Point B BETTER than everybody else... Not neccesarily FASTER... You want fast, go get a POS and put 10 grand of aftermarket **** on it... Youll go REAL FAST. Ill still feel sorry for you because youre driving a POS....

[racing] isn't the reason people buy them...

Isnt that what I just said?

NOBODY GIVES A SHIT whether Lamborghini races or not, and NOBODY GIVES A SHIT that Ferrari DOES, except for the rubes who buy into all that "racing heritage" shit and the snakeoil salesmen who sell it to them.