Murcielago Appreciation

RobberBaron

Hello everyone,

The investment potential of the Murcielago comes up in threads very often, but I couldn't find one dedicated to the topic. I know that to many of us these are just cars and they are meant to be driven, but I can't think of a better gig then essentially getting paid to own a Lamborghini through its appreciation. With that being said I am curious what all of your thoughts are on if the cars will appreciate, what trims, the value difference between E-gear cars and 6mt, LP640 vs 6.2 value curves, where is the SV in three to five years, etc.?

Personally, I think now is the time to buy. The car market is soft and the Murcie checks almost all of the right boxes for some serious future appreciation. Having the last of the original V12s, the last of the manual NA v12s, the last true Lamborghini flagship poster car (I realize the Aventador is a poster car, but not from the bedroom wall and more though video games and YouTube), the production numbers, etc. all make it poised to double in value. Obviously the holy grail Murcielagos are the three (and really more the two clean titled ones) manual SVs, and the clean manual LP-640s. However, after those I think any manual 6.2 will skyrocket in value. I can't see the early E-gear cars going down, but I don't see them appreciating that much because of the transmission. I am not sure on the roadsters. Personally I think they are one of the sexiest top down options ever built, but it seems like so many people wouldn't consider one because of the top. My guess is that over the next three years clean 6mt 6.2s (OEM, reasonable milage, and no stories) will be $250,000.00-$300,000.00 depending on the color combos. The only other great buys I can think of right now that should appreciate quite a but would be the CGT and the 360 CS.

Anyway, curious what you guys think...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thread!

I won't speculate on market values, but will speak to the general status of the Murcielago.

Now that the Aventador has been out a few years and taken the fire from the M's #1 status, it's a good time to evaluate how we feel about this car right now.

To me it's started to age gracefully as a formidable Lambo V12 supercar. The Aventador does look nicer/fresher in most instances, but not by a lot. And where the M lacks in styling freshness it certainly makes up for in the other areas you stated (original V12, stickshift availability). The cool part here is I believe for the most part an M is now cheaper than most (all?) Diablos, so in many cases for those on a tighter budget this is the go to car.

I slightly prefer the car styling wise with the roadster configuration, but the coupe is still very good (compared to the Diablo where I feel the exact opposite). Don't think the roadster top is a major deficiency to a prospective buyer, it just means the car will be more of a special affair than it would be on a typical drop top.

With respect to the LP640 in particular, supposedly the quantity of manual roadsters are in the single digits (3?)?? I believe Adnan's white 640 roadster was a manual. This could drive the 6.2 roadster market upwards.

As for minor tweaks it seems like the RWD conversion process is well established at this point for those that wish to partake in that route. Having had enough time pass as well, it just seems like it's not quite as big a deal to do it on an older car versus doing it on say a brand new Av (same analogy for Gallardo vs. Huracan).

To my ears I feel like the Murcielago might be one of the best sounding Lamborghinis ever made. That V12 can rev pretty high and makes a pretty melodic sound. I haven't listened to an Av lately, but I do feel the M sounds better.

Another minor note on pretty much all the Lambos so far is that the Murcielago and Gallardo are the last to have steering wheels without buttons on them, so you could make a swap without worry. RAID makes a few wheels equipped with airbags, and since they were OEM on the Countach and Diablo, preserve that shape of the old school.

It's starting to feel like the Diablo has crossed into Countach territory in terms of being special. The Murcielago feels like that proper tweaker car right between the Diablo and Aventador.

The Murci 670SV is in a league of its own perhaps but must treat that car like a collector status (cough, cough Wiggs), so it may or may not be worth the massive premium IMO (consider the Diablo GT and SE30 Jota versus the more garden variety Diablos). And it still kills me that it's not a RWD car.;if it was, it'd be perfect.

I see good things happening, if this market uptick sustains.

The truth is that it's anybody's guess as to what will happen with any car's values. It's no different than betting on horses.

I have the manual Murci, and another car that is surprisingly low in value, the Lotus Esprit.

Both haven't been "discovered" yet by collectors. Not sure if they ever will be. If you look at the Esprit, it's a real head scratcher. It has all the right elements to take off in value: The Lotus heritage, Hollywood exposure in big time movies, poster car for high school and college dorm walls, significant winning racing history, incredible handling and speed performance for it's time, and in reality despite the reputation, a very reliable and low cost to car to maintain compared to its peers. But it sits on the bottom end still while POS cars like the DeLorean and Ferrari 308 skyrocket.

We'll just have to wait and see if we placed our bets well.

Murci is a sure bet and now is the time to buy since market is soft.

manual will command premium as usual along with rarer paint colors like green/white.

It can go up 5-10% a year or jump to 20+ . Only time will tell, this is just my guess anyways.

No doubt the Murci will go up, and no doubt the the manual cars will lead the rise. That being said inmo its at-least 10 years off before you see much going on.

I own a manual roadster. This is a fairly rare car in the UK. So I have some interest in the debate.

I nearly agree with Allan-Herbie except I think it will slightly sooner. I reckon 7 years until any upward movement occurs. This is based on when I think the AV will be replaced plus a bed in period for the new car. The caveat is that my prediction is based on economic conditions remaining generally steady. If there was a recession or crash then all bets would be off.

10 years, 7 or another number. It doesn't matter. Potential appreciation is at the bottom of the list for getting a Murcie. There are plenty of other better reasons as noted by Robber & Fellippe.

As long as it is tidy then £ for £ (or $ for $) there is little else out there at the moment that gives such great value as Murcie.

This is an interesting webpage for this conversation:

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools...ing/August-2017

We are nearing a 5 year low in the pricing of collectible cars, basically losing all the run up that peaked a couple of years ago.

The Market Index is particularly interesting at the bottom of the page. The big question is how would you draw the lines for the next 5 years?? It could dip down to the lows of 2007, or bounce up to new highs. If you knew for sure, you wouldn't be wasting time posting on this website, you'd be busy being a billionaire with your crystal ball.

IMO, in this order, the cars will appreciate sooner than later. Obviously a Manual Murci SV is a unicorn and is probably already worth 7 figures. I'm positive Roy Cats would be the one to talk to on this subject. He currently has a manual lp640, and a Murci SV in his inventory. He also has a Manual Murci SV thats not for sale.

1.) Murcielago SV Manual

2.) Murcielago SV Egear

3.) LP640 Manual

4.) 02-06 Manual

5.) LP640 Egear

6.) 04-06 Egear

IMO, in this order, the cars will appreciate sooner than later. Obviously a Manual Murci SV is a unicorn and is probably already worth 7 figures. I'm positive Roy Cats would be the one to talk to on this subject. He currently has a manual lp640, and a Murci SV in his inventory. He also has a Manual Murci SV thats not for sale.

1.) Murcielago SV Manual

2.) Murcielago SV Egear

3.) LP640 Manual

4.) 02-06 Manual

5.) LP640 Egear

6.) 04-06 Egear

Is that your order based on the % of appreciation over the current selling price? If so, I think the Manual SV has already had a pretty good run up, as well as the LP640 Manual, based on asking prices. Not sure they are the best choices for % of increase.

No doubt the Murci will go up, and no doubt the the manual cars will lead the rise. That being said inmo its at-least 10 years off before you see much going on.

Yup your spot on.

I sold my Murci for 150? I think or right around there +/-$5,000. It was a hell of a lot of car for that $$$. I was just tired of it. Had it 8 years and drove it 18K miles iirc.

Anyone who asks me I always say the Murci is the best car for the $.

If I'm betting $ on cars to go up Lambos wouldn't be my point of entry. However since i have some i think the Diablo is next and as Allen said in time the Murci's will go up but that's gonna be a long time from now.

Is that your order based on the % of appreciation over the current selling price? If so, I think the Manual SV has already had a pretty good run up, as well as the LP640 Manual, based on asking prices. Not sure they are the best choices for % of increase.

You are right about manual lp640s, based on this thread over at F chat http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/lamborghi...al-gearbox.html

i didn't realize how low the production run was on manual LP cars.

This would make manual lp640s more rare than an Egear SV.

With only 3 Manual SVs ever made, its apparent why they are worth so much.

1.) Murcielago SV Manual

2.) Murcielago SV Egear

3.) LP640 Manual

4.) 02-06 Manual

5.) LP640 Egear

6.) 04-06 Egear

How about adding current price vs projected price 5 years and 10 years from now? Here's what I have seen for the current market:

1.) Murcielago SV Manual $1M?

2.) Murcielago SV Egear $500K

3.) LP640 Manual $350K

4.) 02-06 Manual $150K

5.) LP640 Egear $180K

6.) 04-06 Egear $140K

What do you all think for 5 years and 10 years?

I could see the 02-06 manual doubling in price, but I don't think you'll see the LP640 manual going to $700K and the Manual SV going to $2M.

How about adding current price vs projected price 5 years and 10 years from now? Here's what I have seen for the current market:

1.) Murcielago SV Manual $1M?

2.) Murcielago SV Egear $500K

3.) LP640 Manual $350K

4.) 02-06 Manual $150K

5.) LP640 Egear $180K

6.) 04-06 Egear $140K

What do you all think for 5 years and 10 years?

I could see the 02-06 manual doubling in price, but I don't think you'll see the LP640 manual going to $700K and the Manual SV going to $2M.

I completely agree with that. 6.2 6mt cars (IMO) will be trading for between $250,000.00 and $350,000.00 based on the normal factors (milage, originality, specs, etc.)

I am not sure if all of the LP-640s have the CCBs (I don't think they do), but I think those will sendup hurting their values (nothing crazy though) because of the replacement costs. Though someone might come up with a low cost options over the next few years.

I actually want to be in the market for a Murci, and not for something more mass produced live the 'Vent or Huracan. I currently own a 5,8xx mile '08 Superleggera that I would say I got a good deal on from a local owner, and To re-direct all that value into a well maintained lower mile Murci seems like what I'm leaning towards. I'm sure the consensus is probably going to be to just unload the SL and get a clean spec Murci, but I was also hoping for a little bit of the splash when it comes to appreciation in the near future with very low-mile, fully loaded example.

Anyone suggest I hold off or at this point the values are pretty much here to stay? I want an LP Murci, and a few more have started popping up lately. Don't want to catch a falling knife on one end and buy at the rise on the other. Any feedback would be quite helpful.

Thanks guys!

I actually want to be in the market for a Murci, and not for something more mass produced live the 'Vent or Huracan. I currently own a 5,8xx mile '08 Superleggera that I would say I got a good deal on from a local owner, and To re-direct all that value into a well maintained lower mile Murci seems like what I'm leaning towards. I'm sure the consensus is probably going to be to just unload the SL and get a clean spec Murci, but I was also hoping for a little bit of the splash when it comes to appreciation in the near future with very low-mile, fully loaded example.

Anyone suggest I hold off or at this point the values are pretty much here to stay? I want an LP Murci, and a few more have started popping up lately. Don't want to catch a falling knife on one end and buy at the rise on the other. Any feedback would be quite helpful.

Thanks guys!

It doesn't feel like anything big is going to change in the values of the Gallardo or Murci any time soon, so it's not a rush for you IMO, unless there is an unforeseen crash in the market.

So you can take your time to find a good buyer, and then a good car to buy. If a long shot crash happens after you sell but before you buy, you'll win. If a crash happens before you sell, you will just be selling lower, but also buying lower, so it won't hurt you. If a crash happens after you sell and after you buy, you'd still be in a world of hurt like you would have been if you still had the G.

It's been a while since we've had a crash in the collector car market. I think it was early 90's. Not to many people are predicting a crash in the collector car market.

However, if you look at the attached graph, and the graph of the collector car market, one could say we might be in the "bull trap" right now.

psychology_of_asset_bubbles.jpg

Think the curve will follow suit of the Countach and the Diablos.

Agree with Allan, nothing drastic will happen for 5-10 years.

Market is soft in this price range and perhaps a correction next couple years.

My $.02... 1 thing I am pretty positive in saying.. I dont see the manual 6.2's getting back to the $115k range.. the 6.2 egear cars absolutely.

Bottom for the lp640 e gear cars..possibly as low as the $135k range (imo).. Should they be, no.. will they be.. possibly..

This is for decent cars. Not salvages or wrecks etc.. but decent overall cars.

The truth is that it's anybody's guess as to what will happen with any car's values. It's no different than betting on horses.

I have the manual Murci, and another car that is surprisingly low in value, the Lotus Esprit.

Both haven't been "discovered" yet by collectors. Not sure if they ever will be. If you look at the Esprit, it's a real head scratcher. It has all the right elements to take off in value: The Lotus heritage, Hollywood exposure in big time movies, poster car for high school and college dorm walls, significant winning racing history, incredible handling and speed performance for it's time, and in reality despite the reputation, a very reliable and low cost to car to maintain compared to its peers. But it sits on the bottom end still while POS cars like the DeLorean and Ferrari 308 skyrocket.

We'll just have to wait and see if we placed our bets well.

I agree ,I have owned a few Lotus Turbo Espirits and they were a great car for the money. The fact that the 308's are demanding high dollar surprises me, I've owned quite a few of them in the past, they were pretty....BUT SLOW,

Interesting thread when I'm about to sell my very rare lp640 roadster manual in a very rare Verde Draco Colour. I'm pretty sure it's a 1 of 1. It was a 2008 sydney motor show car. It's my second manual lp640.

Does anyone know how many manual lp640 roadsters were made ? I thought there was 10-20 of them.

My car is RHD.

Thanks nico

I agree ,I have owned a few Lotus Turbo Espirits and they were a great car for the money. The fact that the 308's are demanding high dollar surprises me, I've owned quite a few of them in the past, they were pretty....BUT SLOW,

The look, sound and shift gate go a long way as does the Ferrari name.

A 4 cylinder, no motor how fast hurts it a little.

So while the 308s shouldn't be worth $100-150k, neither should Countachs be worth half a million, Miuras a million, etc. Any Ferrari 2 seater V12 250/275 is essentially butt up against a million+, if not well past that. Again, they're just cars.

The 308/328 used to man a 1:2 spread against a Countach/Testarossa, so why now is a Countach that much more valuable? I'm not buying supply and demand.

Even Singapore has some rationale behind their tariffs. :lol2:

The scary thing is that in 1988-1989, a 308 was a six figure car....so technically all of these car prices have happened before. :shock:

Of course we never know how things will go, but fun to speculate. Took many years before the Panteras finally kicked up a bit only recently. I hope the egear LP640 coupe remain level or decline, as some day I would love a pearl white to go with greenie. Have too many stick cars & the egear is a blast to drive. Once the Murci becomes rare as a collector car (such as museum piece, low mileage, then maybe they will ride up a bit).

The look, sound and shift gate go a long way as does the Ferrari name.

A 4 cylinder, no motor how fast hurts it a little.

So while the 308s shouldn't be worth $100-150k, neither should Countachs be worth half a million, Miuras a million, etc. Any Ferrari 2 seater V12 250/275 is essentially butt up against a million+, if not well past that. Again, they're just cars.

The 308/328 used to man a 1:2 spread against a Countach/Testarossa, so why now is a Countach that much more valuable? I'm not buying supply and demand.

Even Singapore has some rationale behind their tariffs. :lol2:

The scary thing is that in 1988-1989, a 308 was a six figure car....so technically all of these car prices have happened before. :shock:

My Esprit has a Lotus designed twin-turbo V8 that was the highest output per liter V8 at the time of production, so that's out the window.

Lots of people like the Esprit's look. It is originally an Italian design after all, so that's out the window.

Lots of the peer cars of the Esprit that have double, tripled, or quadrupled in value over the past five years don't have shift gates and their name isn't any better, so those are out the window too.

I am sure it will catch on eventually, like the Murci.

I will be selling my LP640 and may put it up on eBay. Anyone interested let me know. 2007 coupe with just under 10k miles. Most likely $174k with alot of factory options.

• 3 weeks later...

Heads up putting my LP640 with 10k miles up for sale on LP for $162k. message me for details or see my classified on LP. This should be a quick sale!

Murcielago prices will go up for sure. Give it a few years it will go up like Diablo. A few years ago, my Diablo Roadster was worth a little over $100k. Now it has doubled in value. My Murcielago will also go up in a few years... not in a rush... enjoying the car in meanwhile.