New Bentley market

abolfaz

I've been looking at buying a new W12 flying spur on and off over the last six months or so. Surprisingly, the dealers are sitting on the exact same stock today as they were when I started looking, the only difference being that they're marking them down off of sticker close to $60k without even asking.

What gives here? Why aren't these cars moving? They drive nice enough, is it cause they're too bland looking? What am I missing?

I like the fact that they're extremely understated and don't attract attention. Any '14+ spur owners here?

Just my guess but I suspect the current S class stole some thunder from them. The S Class is just so well designed. Been happy with our S550 and will move on to the S63 in the future. And I was also once considering the Bently at one point as well.

The local dealer gave me a new one to try for the weekend. It was very nice but I must say it wasn't spectacular either.

I am guessing the following: when the first-gen Spur came out, the BMW 7-series was in styling crisis and Mercedes-Benz S-class was in rough water at the beginning of the end of the Daimler-Crysler era. The natural evolutionary choice from the German über-mobile would be the Silver Spur --- old-world English charm coach work (not exactly but close enough) with German engineering and quality. The word Bentley had a natural ring to it. It was the obvious choice. Almost 10 years later, the Germans' own had caught up. The 7-series is still slightly questionable but the new S-class has definitely made a great comeback. And new players like Aston Martin and Maserati had entered the ring. The current styling is a nice evolutionary one but, again, there isn't anything worth writing home about either. The front looks cool but the back is questionable especially the new taillights --- it sort of lost its signature at the back. And we all heard about the controversy about Ford's Continental Concept resemblance. I am sure no Bentley owner would want to be mistaken as driving a Ford even if it is a Lincoln.

For the older clients who owned it, they likely won't be buying anymore especially when they likely no longer want to drive such a large vehicle. The styling just simply won't appeal to the younger crowd. And the one thing that Bentley still has not resolved from day one to today on the entire Continental /Spur series --- the W12's insatiable thirst! Gasoline prices aside (which really isn't an issue for clients of Bentley's); it's simply a nuisance to constantly visiting the pump if one enjoys the spirited driving. I guess there simply are more and perhaps better choices out there.

I looked at one because my wife likes them, if I had to describe it in one word would be "dated".

They aren't doing enough to pull in the younger crowd, like VCR said, they need to update the gadgets, the nav system is a relic, they need to get on with the program, I'd have a S63 over any Bentley, the only thing I like is the V8TT in the CGT but you can have that in a much better car the S8 for half the money.