LPDADDY

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Relax.

Actually...I tried to do a Fortis, and keep it quiet. So much for that. The entire exhaust system is being custom fabricated in a ceramic material similar to the iconel that the McLaren sport exhaust will have, CPU and hp tuning, sound modulation etc. is taking longer than expected. We expect it to have 650+ hp and sound like an F1 car when its done. Nothing like the straight pipe madness. More "bespoke" as you will... They've scrapped two set-ups already, and haven't even gotten the clutch in. THEN it still has to get a clear coat. At this point I have no idea how much longer now. Will probably be the only one like this in the world. Hoping its out in time for Kane's shindig but who knows, I just want it done right. This thread is exactly why I wanted to keep it under wraps until it's unveiled, but I let BwilsonUK pull it outta me.

In the meantime, will probably pick up a 70k G to scoot around in, I'm getting anxious.

What is the reason for going with a crazy alloy over good ole 321ss or 6/4 Titanium? You aren't putting that much heat through it and the weight savings are minimal for the $$$$ involved.

Relax.

Actually...I tried to do a Fortis, and keep it quiet. So much for that. The entire exhaust system is being custom fabricated in a ceramic material similar to the iconel that the McLaren sport exhaust will have, CPU and hp tuning, sound modulation etc. is taking longer than expected. We expect it to have 650+ hp and sound like an F1 car when its done. Nothing like the straight pipe madness. More "bespoke" as you will... They've scrapped two set-ups already, and haven't even gotten the clutch in. THEN it still has to get a clear coat. At this point I have no idea how much longer now. Will probably be the only one like this in the world. Hoping its out in time for Kane's shindig but who knows, I just want it done right.

In the meantime, will probably pick up a 70k G to scoot around in, I'm getting anxious.

I am very relaxed lol. Just curious since you have mentioned quite a few times so so much for keeping it quiet . The exhaust on the CGT is no rocket science so i hope whoever you gave the job to actually knows what they are doing and same with the clutch.

I am very relaxed lol. Just curious since you have mentioned quite a few times so so much for keeping it quiet . The exhaust on the CGT is no rocket science so i hope whoever you gave the job to actually knows what they are doing and same with the clutch.

Not really quite a few, just once. Every other time I had been asking PRE-buying questions.

I'll let you guys know when it arrives.

Not really quite a few, just once. Every other time I had been asking PRE-buying questions. I'm told its the actual fabrication of the material from scratch, the matching of engine cpu, different intake ratios and raising the hp while tuning the sound to exactly how I want it, like a musical instrument. The harmony of it all together, I guess. I'm not much of a mechanical guy though.

When I have it, I'll post it, vids an all..

Let me see if i get this straight. How do you tune the sound ? When you go with straight pipes, you have a sound that is proprietary to a specific motor. Now the only way that sound is going to change is if you are going to make a new set a headers which is no easy task to begin with, as if it is not done right you going to alter the torque and hp of the motor ,and i certainly would not let any shop, short of a full racing team with full access to a dyno even contemplate taking that on.

So you mean to tell me they scrapped 2 sets of headers already ? It sounds to me it is an awful lot of money spent on something that doesn't need it and i tell you what, the CGT does not need more HP, it needs competent drivers lol. It is dangerous enough stock.

Geez, just noticed you edited your post lol.

Let me see if i get this straight. How do you tune the sound ? When you go with straight pipes, you have a sound that is proprietary to a specific motor. Now the only way that sound is going to change is if you are going to make a new set a headers which is no easy task to begin with, as if it is not done right you going to alter the torque and hp of the motor ,and i certainly would not let any shop, short of a full racing team with full access to a dyno even contemplate taking that on.

So you mean to tell me they scrapped 2 sets of headers already ? It sounds to me it is an awful lot of money spent on something that doesn't need it and i tell you what, the CGT does not need more HP, it needs competent drivers lol. It is dangerous enough stock.

Geez, just noticed you edited your post lol.

FWIW, I bet the car has a better powerband with catalysts in place vs. straight pipes. I know it won't be as obnoxiously loud, but the wee bit of backpressure generally makes them much easier to drive 90% of the time.

Ferrari Challenge cars all use catalysts because they make more power that way.

I do love the sound of a CGT even at stock.

So I am really looking forward to some pictures and video.

Where did you buy it from swill as we all know you asked a few questions about them and you wanted to get the right one.

It sounds to me it is an awful lot of money spent on something that doesn't need it and i tell you what, the CGT does not need more HP, it needs competent drivers lol. It is dangerous enough stock.

FWIW, I bet the car has a better powerband with catalysts in place vs. straight pipes. I know it won't be as obnoxiously loud, but the wee bit of backpressure generally makes them much easier to drive 90% of the time.

Swil, I love sound more than most people so I totally appreciate what you're doing.

However, I have to agree with the guys here for a few reasons:

a. Getting sonic perfection, whether through stereo gear or car exhausts is TOUGH...especially if you want it done first shot out, and the level you have to exceed is already high.

b. You're robbing yourself of enjoying the purity of the stock CGT, and savoring for that upgrade. Even if you can pull off this upgrade to perfection, it still would be nice to enjoy stock then upgrade.

c. HP/TQ on such a highly tuned car from the factory will be hard to improve on.

Sound is as much an art as it is a science, and getting it just right is always harder than it seems.

I don't think your project should be scrapped, just put on hold. Go enjoy KM in the meantime.

I thought Swil was a long time owner of a CGT already. Between his posts and his avatar I guess I just made the assumption. Oops.

Congrats on the new purchase!

BMWRACER knows that lol

Of course he's going to lose power going to test pipes. I hope he doesn't live in a gated community or condo complex because a high revving V10 without cats even at idle will be obnoxious and will illicit complaints.

BMWRACER knows that lol

Sorry, to clarify that wasn't directly aimed at BMWRACER, just adding to what he stated.

Sorry, to clarify that wasn't directly aimed at BMWRACER, just adding to what he stated.

:icon_thumleft: Figured as much.

The remap may recover some HP loss from the cat delete but I'd be surprised if Porsche left anything on the table on their halo vehicle at the time that was at the edge of the performance envelope. Don't really understand why one would change the power profile but then again I don't understand why I married my first wife.

awesome car congrats!

what can you buy a nice under 8k mile CGT for these days?

i always loved that car and you can get hurt resale wise.

:icon_thumleft: Figured as much.

The remap may recover some HP loss from the cat delete but I'd be surprised if Porsche left anything on the table on their halo vehicle at the time that was at the edge of the performance envelope. Don't really understand why one would change the power profile but then again I don't understand why I married my first wife.

I'm with you buddy, an 8400rpm N/A V10 that starts at 12:1 compression likely doesn't have a lot left to go on pump gas. You might get a bit more in timing if you ran 100 octane but I would guess the HP wouldn't be worth the cost.

Without going into the motor and changing the cams in an attempt to get another 1000 rpm out of it (which would just be fishing anyway), I really don't see any significant gains coming.

The CGT really is one of the few cars that you should just not fcuk with.

I'm with you buddy, an 8400rpm N/A V10 that starts at 12:1 compression likely doesn't have a lot left to go on pump gas. You might get a bit more in timing if you ran 100 octane but I would guess the HP wouldn't be worth the cost.

Without going into the motor and changing the cams in an attempt to get another 1000 rpm out of it (which would just be fishing anyway), I really don't see any significant gains coming.

Agreed. Ran test pipes on my Ferrari and had Helms handle the cam timing. N/A V8 and I was getting complaints from the neighbors all day long. The fcuking droning in the cabin was ridiculous and no performance bump. Pulled them and took the weight hit by putting the cats back in.

I agree for the most part, but that GMG car did sound amazing. Was it dropped or do all CGTs have that lower, aggressive stance?

CGT...nice! Didn't know you were mad-ballin like that, Swil. :D

Is this your 1st exotic? If so, that's quite an entry into the expensive toy world! ($$$$)

The straight pipe setup I had I had on my Ford GT was amazing, but loud as hell. Had ford racing headers into an accufab x-pipe.