Is it time for a break-up??????

diabloking

Interesting discussion about Facebook's Senate hearing on Carl Tucker's show recently.

Seems to me an alternative to Facebook could do well. Even if they use a fee based system, say $10(usd) a month with a million users to start, a company should be able to compete; use a business model that does not sell,track or in any way monetize or allow surveillance of client data. All partisan programming would be allowed for the entire spectrum of poitical discourse with company policy on oversight or regiulation of user content determined by applicable law. Social media aspects would do likewise. Company's main revenue from subscriptions. What sayest thou??

Good idea, your answer is below:

People drop $100 on a nice meal but when they look at a 0.99 cents app they go, I think I will live with the free version LOL

I love it, so nonchalant: Compete with Facebook? Sure, why not. A million users paying 10 bucks a month can’t be that hard, right? And that’s the critical mass you need to take on Facebook? As Randy Moss says, come on man!

Interesting discussion about Facebook's Senate hearing on Carl Tucker's show recently.

Seems to me an alternative to Facebook could do well. Even if they use a fee based system, say $10(usd) a month with a million users to start, a company should be able to compete; use a business model that does not sell,track or in any way monetize or allow surveillance of client data. All partisan programming would be allowed for the entire spectrum of poitical discourse with company policy on oversight or regiulation of user content determined by applicable law. Social media aspects would do likewise. Company's main revenue from subscriptions. What sayest thou??

Client data is what drives these. And the small percentage of people who give a damn about their private information have already been avoiding or keeping a VERY tight lid on their publicly available data.

The Pay Wall system has been tried in the newspaper industry, and while it may have helped, i doubt it’s a permanent solution for something people think they “deserve”.

Facebook is one of the worst things to happen to society imho. Gave people who shouldn't have a podium a chance to speak, and those who shouldn't be validated a sense of acceptance among other outcasts for extreme or outright wrong views. Im guilty of surfing it whenever im bored. I don't post much these days. But with that said, the world doesn't need more social media platforms. Even google tried their own version of facebook.....that didn't do well.

Facebook is one of the worst things to happen to society imho. Gave people who shouldn't have a podium a chance to speak, and those who shouldn't be validated a sense of acceptance among other outcasts for extreme or outright wrong views.

+1

Facebook Social Media is one of the worst things to happen to society imho. Gave people who shouldn't have a podium a chance to speak, and those who shouldn't be validated a sense of acceptance among other outcasts for extreme or outright wrong views. Im guilty of surfing it whenever im bored. I don't post much these days. But with that said, the world doesn't need more social media platforms. Even google tried their own version of facebook.....that didn't do well.

FTFY

I agree to an extent. There is a lot of good things about it (Facebook), however Zuckerberg knew exactly what he wanted to do with Facebook from the very beginning and that was to exploit people's tendency to give away their personal thoughts / data to the masses. This was from the early day's at Facebook @ Harvard (back when it was only open to Colleges IIRC)

http://www.businessinsider.com/embarrassin...w-yorker-2010-9

In another exchange leaked to Silicon Alley Insider, Zuckerberg explained to a friend that his control of Facebook gave him access to any information he wanted on any Harvard student:

ZUCK: yea so if you ever need info about anyone at harvard

ZUCK: just ask

ZUCK: i have over 4000 emails, pictures, addresses, sns

FRIEND: what!? how'd you manage that one?

ZUCK: people just submitted it

ZUCK: i don't know why

ZUCK: they "trust me"

ZUCK: dumb fucks

Even before the days of Facebook, there seemed to be a sense of accomplishment with getting the top rated comment (Youtube, Reddit, forums), or the most amount of friends (MySpace etc.), most likes (Instagram, Imgur, tumbler) etc. Even though there wasn't any monetary gain, people got a sense of accomplishment / reward for this behavior which leads to a collective hive mind - Reddit is a great example of this.

People are dumber than a bag of bricks. Regulation is a necessity to save them from themselves.

Color me surprised:

https://www.wired.com/story/facebook-is-ste...cy-protections/

I said it many times before, privacy is one of your most valuable possessions giving it away benevolently is an idiocy IMO

The issues is, how do your protect your privacy best when you want to participate and not be left behind by the tech, we must admit that the tech and social media brought and still brings a tremendous amount of success and opportunities to many.

It’s a very fine line and you can only do what you think it’s best for you.