Allan-Herbie

Issues  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Whats sorts of issues have you had

• Transmission
    • electrical
    • engine
    • other

Looking into the reliability of the Aventador. Personally I wish they were manual transmission, but we cant everything. Specifically looking at 2013+ cars.

I had a early car it had lots of electrical gremlins that were gradually resolved, apart from that seemed reasonably solid. Most of its issues were when they updated stuff, it worked fine from the factory except for the heated seats which were wired wrong and if you turned them on tried to set fire to your ass!

Sold it after a year as hated niggles, nothing that stopped to working but lots of random lights for things, final straw was I went to shift up and it shifted down, odd, but gearbox was ok apart from that if a bit jumpy and horrible when cold. Assume that is all sorted with software & different fluids now though.

Original Aventador is not that great to drive for feeling, more of a gt car if that matters to you. Good ride but bouncy suspension

The newer the better, I had 2014 Roadster and there was a software update every year that brought something new + a few campaigns. Gearbox is the weakest point and it is much better in the SV and I heard even better in the S. In general I was surprised I could do 32K without any major issues, although once a year there was something with the electronics as I was getting a lot of weird messages / warnings.

Lets just say it isn't as bullet proof as the Gallardo/Huracan.

I had a number of fairly minor/frustrating issues mostly gearbox related, in the end they managed to have it sorted for me, some module(s) were changed and a bunch of software updates were performed and in the end it was working.

One other issue I had was with the start button, I'd push and hold for many seconds and nothing would happen, very frustrating because you'd want to take off and you couldn't LOL, the dealer checked it few times it returned no faults and so they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, they requested a new whole assembly under warranty and they immediately flew one over, installed it and I had no more issues with starting the car.

So there were few issues here and there, I guess just like with any other hand built car but I must say my dealer is on point, the guys here are fantastic, that's one of the reasons I like to stick with Lamborghini, to me the customer service pre and post purchasing is very important, I can't speak highly enough of my local guys! :icon_thumleft:

I had a 50 anniversary and didn’t like it much(other than the paint)

Have a 17 SV and love it. Like you said I wish it was a manual but it’s 2 prize. I prefer it to the gearbox I had in my f12 that was butter. I like butter in my luxury cars. The gear box in the SV sucks when it’s cold, but in LA not a issue. Also in traffic it’s ok when it’s up to temp, but not ideal. However for spirited driving I LOVE the gear box in the SV in manual mode(if you have to have a manual). I’ve had zero problems with mine to answer your question.

The only problems I’ve had is the CEL is on 50% of the time at random times, I took it in to service was told was a software issue. And was fixed, 20 miles later it was on again. Car isn’t missing shifts, running funny, seems 100%. So I ignore it.

The rest of the lights on the dash, which I have no idea what the hell they mean seem to light up like a Christmas tree now and then. Again I ignore them. Car has the right amount of power, no issues starting, steering is fine. I push it reasonably hard at times and everything is just fine.

I had the same issues with my Diablo’s, Murci, Gallardo’s every Lambo I’ve owned. And been fine.

I do l8ke the gear box in the 17 SV much more than the 50th. I mention this because to me this is the real question, not so much reliability. I think you’ll have your typical Lambo owner experience in what ever car you choose. And I respect your experience.

On another side note the SV hasn’t taken a price hit yet, that’s coming soon with the new car coming soon. So if you decide on a SV which I can confidently say you’ll prefer over a regular Aventador now isn’t the time to buy a SV. I like mine so much I’m holding it, or I’d sell it now and make a deposit on the SV-J.

Go drive a SV and others to see what appeals to you. Not worry about the reliability of the car, you owned plenty of lambos and know the deal.

Hope your well, looking forward to see what you buy

Best regards

Eric

Lets just say it isn't as bullet proof as the Gallardo/Huracan.

I had a number of fairly minor/frustrating issues mostly gearbox related, in the end they managed to have it sorted for me, some module(s) were changed and a bunch of software updates were performed and in the end it was working.

One other issue I had was with the start button, I'd push and hold for many seconds and nothing would happen, very frustrating because you'd want to take off and you couldn't LOL, the dealer checked it few times it returned no faults and so they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, they requested a new whole assembly under warranty and they immediately flew one over, installed it and I had no more issues with starting the car.

So there were few issues here and there, I guess just like with any other hand built car but I must say my dealer is on point, the guys here are fantastic, that's one of the reasons I like to stick with Lamborghini, to me the customer service pre and post purchasing is very important, I can't speak highly enough of my local guys! :icon_thumleft:

Oh yes the press and pray start button issue, could be bullshit I was told that was computer’s rebooting. In any case probably seem longer than it really is.

Or just push harder lololol

Best

Haha mine does that sometimes, key is to press once and just wait for it to start, it will start eventually but after a reasonable delay, never worked out why it sometimes does this.

It’s vital you don’t keep pressing or it confuses it, drives my wife mad and she just repeatedly jabs it if it doesn’t go immediately and this just stops it completely you have to go back to the start.

I’ve had zero issues with my SV, in 10k and 2.5 years. Welll actually they changed the wing brackets that were rusting and a leaking rear damper but nothing like the issues I had with the original. Gearbox seems fine now in all departments.

The problem with the av is the drivetrain or transmission , very clunky, shudders etc.

strangely my lp700 roadster is much smoother to drive (and takes off without any shudder ) than my SV roadster that is simply not as smooth. Also there is more backfire or whatever you call it noise than the SV and both have sport sw for exhaust..

I had a 2013 coupe with battery problems. I had the battery replaced three times in one year, and the dealer could not find the issue. Outside of that no real issues. I did however upgrade to a 2016 Roadster, and the car drives better. From my experience and what others have said, Id stay with 14+ models, they seem to have a lot less issues.

Haha mine does that sometimes, key is to press once and just wait for it to start, it will start eventually but after a reasonable delay, never worked out why it sometimes does this.

It’s vital you don’t keep pressing or it confuses it, drives my wife mad and she just repeatedly jabs it if it doesn’t go immediately and this just stops it completely you have to go back to the start.

I’ve had zero issues with my SV, in 10k and 2.5 years. Welll actually they changed the wing brackets that were rusting and a leaking rear damper but nothing like the issues I had with the original. Gearbox seems fine now in all departments.

I pushed and held it pressed until it started (if it started) I did not jab it repeatedly because that way it never worked so I understand your wife’s frustration or your frustration with her :icon_mrgreen:

Sometimes it wouldn’t start no matter how long I held it pressed, when that happened I used to turn the ignition off open and shut the door to reset the whole car then try again.

I pushed and held it pressed until it started (if it started) I did not jab it repeatedly because that way it never worked so I understand your wife’s frustration or your frustration with her :icon_mrgreen:

Sometimes it wouldn’t start no matter how long I held it pressed, when that happened I used to turn the ignition off open and shut the door to reset the whole car then try again.

Yep that was exactly what i used to do, ignition off lock doors then start again, and that sorted it, then worked out press once don't hold and after say 10-15 seconds when you had pretty much given it would just start that seems to work 99% of the time now.

Actually that also reminded me my early aventador has some sort of vacuum issue with the brake pedal it went rock hard when left overnight and then you couldn't start it because you weren't pushing it down far enough to trigger the brake sensor to allow it to start. Good times..

I've had the same anomaly with the start button. Dummy me I just thought it was normal! The car always does start but as mentioned one has to either wait for the starter to kick-in or re-cycle the start button. I found sometimes putting the paddles to neutral gear get the start right away. I know its supposed to automatically select neutral on the start selection however I've noticed that doesn't always happen so I just help it out.

But I'm thinking I might just get the tech's to look into this, perhaps a new start box or whatever it needs should be done since I'm still under warranty.

I have not have any problems with my 2012 Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4. The car have been working awesome in any weather, condition etc. Probably it is an exception :)

I’m surprised no one has put a shifter and clutch pedal in one yet. It’s just a manual 6-speed tranny back there operated by a Nintendo64.

I had starting problems with both Av. Push button and wait a long time or push twice to start.. Annoyingly true

I didn't have this issue with my 14 Roadster, but have with 16 SV Roadster. Also the SV Roadster takes a much deeper acceleration pedal push to make it move.

I didn't have this issue with my 14 Roadster, but have with 16 SV Roadster. Also the SV Roadster takes a much deeper acceleration pedal push to make it move.

My 700 roadster had the starting problems but parts were changed and fixed up. It is perfect now much smoother and more responsive on take off than SV which in addition to shudder has starting problems now where I have to press twice or a long time to start it...

Don’t let them fool you all that is normal- that is a typical factory response to avoid even acknowledging problems- it isn’t and can and should be fixed by dealer!

My 700 roadster had the starting problems but parts were changed and fixed up. It is perfect now much smoother and more responsive on take off than SV which in addition to shudder has starting problems now where I have to press twice or a long time to start it...

Don’t let them fool you all that is normal- that is a typical factory response to avoid even acknowledging problems- it isn’t and can and should be fixed by dealer!

Thanks, I asked the service manager for comments. Both issues are quite annoying to be honest.

Great thread!

I'm moving to an Aventador from my 06 Murcielago Roadster and this information is invaluable.

I drove a 14 Roadster but found it too smooth and the shifts without any drama. I recently drove a 12 Aventador and while everyone complains that it's too clunky and the shifts are too hard, I really liked it. It reminded me of the feel of the my 97.5 Diablo VT Roadster...full of drama and never let you forget what you were driving.

I hear that the 13 coupe and roadsters have the same hard shifting but can get software updates that the 12 cannot. If you do the updates, will it take away the hard shifting and make it more like the 14? ...hope not.

....and I thought going away from the Murcielago would be more reliable ;) lol

Great thread!

I'm moving to an Aventador from my 06 Murcielago Roadster and this information is invaluable.

I drove a 14 Roadster but found it too smooth and the shifts without any drama. I recently drove a 12 Aventador and while everyone complains that it's too clunky and the shifts are too hard, I really liked it. It reminded me of the feel of the my 97.5 Diablo VT Roadster...full of drama and never let you forget what you were driving.

I hear that the 13 coupe and roadsters have the same hard shifting but can get software updates that the 12 cannot. If you do the updates, will it take away the hard shifting and make it more like the 14? ...hope not.

....and I thought going away from the Murcielago would be more reliable ;) lol

I had a 97 Roadster, I loved it. That’s why I like the SV because it feels like a Lambo. When it’s cold it sucks for a few minutes then good to go. I’m a DIablo guy 1000%, and like that feeling Diablos give you that sadly is fading into the past with each new generation of cars.