Lets talk about something serious for a moment. Pandora vs Spotify

Steve K

Pandora vs Spotify vs (maybe) Apple Music

I've been a Pandora user pretty much since the early 2000's. I love it, but it seems like their "music genome project" isn't really all that special anymore, and might be surpassed by Spotify.

Anyone make the switch over to Spotify from Pandora? Likes/ Dislikes?

This is the first year I will have cancelled Pandora,I have been paying for a long time. I dont use it much for the $100 a year they are charging now. I did sign up for Google Music two years ago as I like they have more "foreign" music options, I am still trying to figure out how to use it though, they charge $10 a month. I was never a fan of Spotify for some reason. I am still up in the air on which is the best as I am a fan of foreign music, I was also told Apple play has the same options.

Spotify is the greatest streaming music provider of all time.....it's almost a crime for it to be so cheap.

:iamwithstupid:

I stopped using it for few months and tried Apple Music, just rubbish! I think Spotify has the ability to read my mind :lol2:

Spotify is more social, and the quality is better for sure. Plus I Shazam things and they show up in Spotify. Also the car integration is better for Spotify and I can remotely get speakers to play Spotify.

Anecdote:

Every Thanksgiving I listen to "Alice's Restaurant Masacree" as part of an old family tradition. Two years ago I was recovering at my mother's home after knee surgery. Across town at my home, my buddy just flew in from Ireland and he was dead tired. I could not sleep, I was in pain, so I went to play the song. I had no idea that the speakers I chose to default play were the ones at my home. I kept cranking the volume up in bursts. My poor friend was freaked out by the music randomly playing, in bits. My speaker install is stealth, so he could not figure our where these notes where coming from, he thought he was being home invaded, then thought he was hallucinating from jetlag/exhaustion.

I like the flexibility of Slacker. I have had it for 2 years now. Never looked back.

Spotify by a long shot but they need to step their game up on the lossless side for the serious listeners

100% agree. Otherwise, Spotify (and Soundcloud for the underground stuff) for me.

Spotify by a long shot but they need to step their game up on the lossless side for the serious listeners

I wish Tidal had better UI

100% agree. Otherwise, Spotify (and Soundcloud for the underground stuff) for me.

:iamwithstupid:

I travel with a DAC/AMP from Fiio for mobile listening. Lossless file size... net neutrality repeal... premium isp service fees on top of service fees and file purchases.... insert political argument here

I used Apple Music for about a year and really enjoyed it. That being said, i got rid of it after a while because i coudln’t Justify the cost long-term because i don’t listen to music that much where it works. I have XM for in the car, and i’ll YouTube others in the off chance i sit at a desk for any amount of time (rarely).

Spotify is more social, and the quality is better for sure. Plus I Shazam things and they show up in Spotify. Also the car integration is better for Spotify and I can remotely get speakers to play Spotify.

Anecdote:

Every Thanksgiving I listen to "Alice's Restaurant Masacree" as part of an old family tradition. Two years ago I was recovering at my mother's home after knee surgery. Across town at my home, my buddy just flew in from Ireland and he was dead tired. I could not sleep, I was in pain, so I went to play the song. I had no idea that the speakers I chose to default play were the ones at my home. I kept cranking the volume up in bursts. My poor friend was freaked out by the music randomly playing, in bits. My speaker install is stealth, so he could not figure our where these notes where coming from, he thought he was being home invaded, then thought he was hallucinating from jetlag/exhaustion.

:lol2: That's hilarious

I am not a fan of streaming services as I love to manage my own music (I am a bit of a recreational DJ) but I always love having my music be accessible and with streaming that's not always possible. Up until a year ago I sued to still buy music. Then I discovered NoteBurner, so I use apple music to get music and then this program to make my music more accessible. That first 3 month trail saved me an insane amount of cash, but now that it's over I pay apple $10 a month for an all-I-use buffet of music.

Pandora, wtf, they're still around?

I use Google Music, but Spotify is wayyy better than Pandora. Are you an early investor or something? lol

Music matching, UI, all better on Spotify. I think Spotify has the best UI. Like someone mentioned, if Tidal had a better UI, that also would be up there.

How much does Pandora run for? You are limiting yourself using Pandora. Especially if you love music and pay for it!

Spotify.

Although I dont really consume music as I rather try to discover music and then that's it. When I discover something that I feel I will buy and download them, process them with various softwares and put them into my Pioneer Rekordbox database for future dj use.

So there are a lot of times that I have not listened anything for a month or two and I feel stupid paying for Spotify but on other months I can use it heavily on bursts.

• 2 weeks later...
$60/ year. i thought the "music genome project" was state of the art bla bla bla

I like google music because besides the music, you get youtube red (ad free youtube, can download videos for offline), and youtube music, which allows you to download and store youtube songs, create playlists, etc.

Youtube music has a fantastic library, you can find many songs on youtube music which are not available on streaming services.

The Google music website is also very nice. You can upload whatever physical audio you have to into your music library, which then you can download and stream from your devices.

Started with Pandora long ago, liked the idea but hated commercials, didn't want to say and not be able to play what I wanted when I wanted.

Slacker is actually the "best" as actually DJs are making the lists +additional commentary is interesting. Easier to scroll through single tracks from artists, etc...

Spotify's library is by far the biggest though, and this is a music app so Spotify wins IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to share playlists in Spotify? Maybe we need some LamboPower channels curated!

My music has been too spread out. I started with Samsung phones (iphone now) so I used to buy all my music through Google Play and now it's all somehow been imported into Amazon Music. I bought a little bit using Apple Music so that's kicking around. Have some lossless downloads from live concerts I've been too. Been using Pandora at the office and at home (integrated with Control4 and the light switches are configured so that if I tap on 3x it turns on the speakers in the room and tunes to a Pandora station). I'm signing up and installing spotify while writing this, will see how it goes!

Is there a way to share playlists in Spotify? Maybe we need some LamboPower channels curated!

My music has been too spread out. I started with Samsung phones (iphone now) so I used to buy all my music through Google Play and now it's all somehow been imported into Amazon Music. I bought a little bit using Apple Music so that's kicking around. Have some lossless downloads from live concerts I've been too. Been using Pandora at the office and at home (integrated with Control4 and the light switches are configured so that if I tap on 3x it turns on the speakers in the room and tunes to a Pandora station). I'm signing up and installing spotify while writing this, will see how it goes!

yeah, you can share playlists. this is a roadtrip karaoke list I made. driving songs you have to sing along with:

https://open.spotify.com/user/1233674230/pl...PS6q11XaMIkdFPA

• 2 weeks later...
yeah, you can share playlists. this is a roadtrip karaoke list I made. driving songs you have to sing along with:

https://open.spotify.com/user/1233674230/pl...PS6q11XaMIkdFPA

Thanks! I've tried out Spotify for a week now and like the GUI and organization better than Pandora. I may even dump Sirius XM in a couple of cars and just stream from this with apple CarPlay.

I like the flexibility of Slacker. I have had it for 2 years now. Never looked back.

Shocked they're still in business. Spotify is the dominant leader in online streaming.

Pandora skews the numbers because of all the free users.