Real wheel drive conversion questions?

ComputerXpress

I'm curious to anyone who has done a real wheel drive conversion what the cost was? I'm going to go that direction, car is in the shop at Lamborghini Sarasota.

I have seen different kits, what is the best

and how much time should it take to install and an approximate total cost?

Finally, have you been happy with the results?

Whiteout. He does a titanium stub axle delete (like an sv stub axle) and an awesome customized piece that holds the transmission in place better than just leaving it hanging there by the engine.

I posted this in the other thread, but here's the info for LP.

There are two options for converting a Murci to RWD/2WD:

1. Run the Diablo kit. It is the cheapest method, but also the most basic. It consists of titanium axle delete stubs and for forum members I include titanium axle nuts. Simply pull out the driveline, stick the axle delete stubs in the hubs and you're good to go.

2. The Murcielago kit. It consists of titanium axle delete stubs and a transmission mounting system and again for forum members I include titanium axle nuts.

While the Murci is a variation of the Diablo chassis, which was originally designed to be RWD, there are some differences. For one, the engine/trans mounts are different between the Diablo and Murci. The Murci uses the torque tube and front differential to act as a front transmission mount. When removing the front section of the driveline it allows the engine/trans to move around.

My Murci kit uses a new transmission mount which stabilizes the driveline like the factory torque tube/front differential. This prevents the driveline from moving around under different loads, stops wheel hop at launch, makes the car easier to toss around in the corners, precise shifting for manuals, stops high RPM driveline vibration and stops the transmission from slapping the crossmember at full throttle. It also protects the transmission output shaft from the elements.

Adding the mount is day and night difference from running without it. Every person who has driven a RWD Murci without the mount and with it is amazed by the difference. Mondi, MW000, JonV and Luxeous on LamboPower have all had RWD with both no mount and mount on their cars and all of them rave over the difference. The difference is so great that I stopped offering the old Murci system.

For the past 15 years there were no transmission mounts available, so I offer the mount for people who already converted their Murci's to RWD so that they don't have to purchase a full kit to get the benefit of newer technology.

There are the Lambo Diablo stubs, which consist of painted steel axle delete stubs with orange filler. I originally used these but became unhappy with the quality, so I started making the titanium stubs.

Here are the Diablo titanium stubs with titanium nuts:

8A683320-E142-4ABB-8F65-90CC76E78F7A_zps

Here is the complete Murci kit (manual version):

9BC1566D-6FE3-4CFB-A72C-2B6B96835164_zps

installed on my car:

86060300-DFCF-452C-A064-FD634B791931_zps

100% vouch for the quality of Whiteout's kit. Had it on my 04 Murci and it transformed the car for the better. All parts are top notch and it is a clean, reversible install. I do recommend a big brake kit as you will notice extended braking distances after the conversion.

I was hesitant at first, but I think this is the best modification that I have done besides exhaust

Clutch engages easier, steering is still heavy but becomes more precise, power increase is noticeable

Tail can be kicked out under control

Definitely the new transmission piece is worth every cent

• 3 weeks later...

why are there only 2 options?

i know someone who did their 2wd conversion and they simply removed the inner shaft from the torque tube and reinstalled the tube--

there is no mount issue to deal with - other than the front shafts will always be freewheel turning is there any other downside?

i know someone who did their 2wd conversion and they simply removed the inner shaft from the torque tube and reinstalled the tube--

there is no mount issue to deal with - other than the front shafts will always be freewheel turning is there any other downside?

The downside to only removing the driveshaft is the car still has the 150lbs worth of AWD components, drag on the front wheels from the front diff and the process to remove the driveshaft literally requires removing two less bolts than taking out the entire drivetrain . . . so you're doing all the work without the benefit.

yes there will be drag - how much im not sure- and 150 lbs overall in a car this heavy isnt that much-

but there is some unsprung weight to save with the stubs .

removing the shaft still makes it rwd only.. so it will drive totally different than if it was awd.. so for someone who wanted to try the rwd conversion its a "free" way to see if they like rwd only..

id be interested if someone has driven a car done both ways to see how much you can tell the front drags - as i would think the PS would mask that.

the main benefit would be your not putting wear on the front shafts and diff .

yes there will be drag - how much im not sure- and 150 lbs overall in a car this heavy isnt that much-

but there is some unsprung weight to save with the stubs .

removing the shaft still makes it rwd only.. so it will drive totally different than if it was awd.. so for someone who wanted to try the rwd conversion its a "free" way to see if they like rwd only..

id be interested if someone has driven a car done both ways to see how much you can tell the front drags - as i would think the PS would mask that.

the main benefit would be your not putting wear on the front shafts and diff .

150lbs is very noticeable and the mass is unsprung and rotational. I was referring to the front wheels still having the rotational mass and drag of the axles and front diff more than the AWD binding in low speed turns.

It would be a free from a parts perspective but it is a 5-6 hour job compared to a 2.5-3 hour job for the 2WD conversion.

Jon had a thread on here about the sun gear on the rear diff not being strong enough on the 6.2, I think he ended up putting in a 640 rear end.. probably depends on how you drive it too

I still worry about doing this on the early Murci... Anymore feedback?

I logged tens of thousands of miles on two separate early Murci's with zero issues and I was hard on those cars.

Aside from two pre-LP rear diff failures, there have been no reports of any other failure. I have two clients with over 80k miles on their early cars and RWD with no issues. The conversion will make your Murci will be much quicker from a roll, have less understeer in the canyons and drive more in line with your other cars.

I still worry about doing this on the early Murci... Anymore feedback?

Don't you have an SV diablo? What are you worried about? it's practically the same thing.. I actually would love to see an SV underneath to see if they support the transmission.

Don't you have an SV diablo? What are you worried about? it's practically the same thing.. I actually would love to see an SV underneath to see if they support the transmission.

Im not worried about driving a rwd Murci. Im worried about breaking a rwd Murci.

Im not worried about driving a rwd Murci. Im worried about breaking a rwd Murci.

What I understand is that the extra hp in the murcielago is too much for the 6.2 rear diff alone...it breaks. "Stimpy" talked about his own experience with converting to a LP640 rear diff running rwd with no issues.

I did a rwd conversion myself on my former Diablo VT Roadster at the urging of George Evans of Evans automotive. I had OEM SV stub axles in front and no other modifications were necessary except for long bolts to the frame where the front diff mount was. I loved it and didn't feel so clunky anymore. I did miss the awd in the heavy Florida rain....as I drove it as a daily driver.

Literally two cars have broken. Two.

I have personally done dozens of launches, high rpm clutch dumps, burnouts, drifting, full throttle in low gears, 12+ hour road trips and long periods at high rpm. I owned two separate pre-LP cars and had zero issues.

What I understand is that the extra hp in the murcielago is too much for the 6.2 rear diff alone...it breaks. "Stimpy" talked about his own experience with converting to a LP640 rear diff running rwd with no issues.

I did a rwd conversion myself on my former Diablo VT Roadster at the urging of George Evans of Evans automotive. I had OEM SV stub axles in front and no other modifications were necessary except for long bolts to the frame where the front diff mount was. I loved it and didn't feel so clunky anymore. I did miss the awd in the heavy Florida rain....as I drove it as a daily driver.

Stimpy isn't 2WD. Jon converted his pre-LP to LP driveline (one of the two failed pre-LP diffs.)

don't you just use your cars to go get cigars and liquor? I mean, iv'e seen how you even drive on the track and I'm pretty fuckin sure your car is safe bro. :icon_mrgreen: :eusa_dance:

Literally two cars have broken. Two.

I have personally done dozens of launches, high rpm clutch dumps, burnouts, drifting, full throttle in low gears, 12+ hour road trips and long periods at high rpm. I owned two separate pre-LP cars and had zero issues.

Stimpy isn't 2WD. Jon converted his pre-LP to LP driveline (one of the two failed pre-LP diffs.)

Yep, I am still driving the bus version!

don't you just use your cars to go get cigars and liquor? I mean, iv'e seen how you even drive on the track and I'm pretty fuckin sure your car is safe bro. :icon_mrgreen: :eusa_dance:

Is there anything else to use them for? :icon_fU:

You are wasting your time leaving the front driveline in and just pulling your driveshaft. Now you are shoving a full unpowered rotating driveline down the road. I would think it would

hurt power, be sluggish and not be a good experience at all.

• 2 weeks later...

The 150 lbs is definitely noticeable power wise.

As soon as the front diff was removed, I had to coil down the suspension 1/4" to get it back to the same height. The suspension in the front ended up being all the way down