Will Performantes Hold Value?

Fine2NR

I ordered a Performante that arrived at my dealership and now I am having second thoughts of whether or not to go through with it. My goal was never to flip or profit on the car, but I don't want to take a bath in terms of depreciation if I own the car for around a year to move onto another car. 720S seem to be holding value well and are going well over mark up (not sure how long that will last based on past McLarens). Outside of the Performante that I specced I have already been offered new Performantes in stock at msrp which concerns me since the car has only been available in the US for a couple months, not to mention the rumors of a Super Trofeo/Superleggerra version coming out next year. I am curious to hear your thoughts on how values will hold up over the next 6 months to a year based on what you see with current demand and production numbers? Being a limited production car much like a Speciale or 675LT, would value hold up differently?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Buy a mass produced McLaren they will hold value, said no one ever.

They are all losers, if you can’t afford the depreciation I’d stay out of it, that’s just me, also if that’s your main concern I wouldn’t go through with the purchase, you want to be comfortable enjoying taking the car out, why would you corner yourself in a stressful situation? Wait few years let someone else take the depreciation hit and buy a good used car which you can comfortably enjoy. Good luck with your decision.

They are all losers, if you can’t afford the depreciation I’d stay out of it, that’s just me, also if that’s your main concern I wouldn’t go through with the purchase, you want to be comfortable enjoying taking the car out, why would you corner yourself in a stressful situation? Wait few years let someone else take the depreciation hit and buy a good used car which you can comfortably enjoy. Good luck with your decision.

Well said.

:iamwithstupid:

Spot on. The bigger the number of the car produced the bigger the depreciation, and the Performante is no exception. Sounds like you shouldn’t go through with it, you’ll sleep better at night.

I have to admit it ...

You're always the voice of reason ...

He'll thank you in a couple of years ...

I have to admit it ...

You're always the voice of reason ...

He'll thank you in a couple of years ...

The voice of reason is always boring ...

The eternal question, what’s the key to happiness?

Everyone has a different idea, some say money some say health, love, positivity, etc. etc. to a certain degree all of the above but I say, eliminate stress, you get rid of all your stress and stop giving a f*ck I bet, rich or poor you will be damn happy LOL

The voice of reason is always boring ...

The eternal question, what’s the key to happiness?

Everyone has a different idea, some say money some say health, love, positivity, etc. etc. to a certain degree all of the above but I say, eliminate stress, you get rid of all your stress and stop giving a f*ck I bet, rich or poor you will be damn happy LOL

Great Advice!!! ...

You keep that up and we may have to start referring to you as ...

The Lambo Power Monk ...

Reminding us that most elegant solutions are considered boring, right up until we say:

Ahhh ... Now I get it ...

Nothing is as bad as McLaren depreciation - EYE WATERING !! - This I know from personal experience

As Fortis says - don't play if u can take a decent hit and not care

Nothing is as bad as McLaren depreciation - EYE WATERING !! - This I know from personal experience

How about BMW M5 depreciation? :lol2: Those are awful, like a rock slide.

:iamwithstupid: ive had pretty good luck so far with SV's and hopefully the perf!

I would do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you will love the car!

Thanks Everyone for chiming in. Logically, Fortis is totally spot on, but also seeing everyone enjoying their Performantes makes me want to pull the trigger! Now the inner battle of logic or emotion winning before giving my decision to the dealership tomorrow...

Also, out here in SoCal many of the dealerships are still selling the 720S at markup. It sounds like that will simmer down come March from what I am hearing.

Thanks Everyone for chiming in. Logically, Fortis is totally spot on, but also seeing everyone enjoying their Performantes makes me want to pull the trigger! Now the inner battle of logic or emotion winning before giving my decision to the dealership tomorrow...

Also, out here in SoCal many of the dealerships are still selling the 720S at markup. It sounds like that will simmer down come March from what I am hearing.

Yea, I've been offered 6 720's at sticker and 4 performantes. And that's only from the 2 dealerships I have contacts with. I'm sure if I actually sought it out, I could double or triple those numbers. And I totally hear you, for me its not about if I can or can't afford it. It's if I want to afford it. Just so many good options out there right now that won't depreciate. So it's hard to buy a new perf or 720 when I can just enjoy what I have at zero to little cost. But I really am having a hard time fighting the urge and currently I'm leaning more towards the 720.

If you are tossing between a Performante and a 720S

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features...rs-2017-autocar

Video

FWIW nobody wanted to go home in the 720S, the 720S really peaks my interest and curiosity but ever time I read reviews about it I become disillusioned, everyone raves about the fact that is extremely fast but other than that it’s quite boring, I saw a black one leave a car meet yesterday, it made no sound as if it were electric :( it did look good in black.

Perhaps getting something else to play with in the interim that won't lose money and wait a couple of years to scoop up the Perf once it depreciates. That's what I'm doing, unless the STS comes out soon and looks anything like the GT3-Evo or the new Ford GT that comes up on the market that's reasonably priced. Going off tangent...my bad.

Maybe I'm drinking the kool-aid but I don't think the Perf will depreciate much.

I think you can look at the LP570-4 Superleggera if you want to see the depreciation curve, what helps it locally is the fact that the Performante is cheaper than the standard offerings from the competitors, you pay more for a 488 and a 720S that’s why I think the local dealer delivered 6 to 8 cars already :shock:

Maybe I'm drinking the kool-aid but I don't think the Perf will depreciate much.

The Perf would depreciate just like the rest of the Huracan series. The soft top version is already a done deal. Lambo is concentrating on marketing the Urus of course but once that hype is over, rest assure that more potent versions of the Perf will follow not unlike the Gallardo STS & SC as there is plenty of life left in the H series. There are or will be too many of them so the rarity factor will not hold and likewise for its value.

That being said, the 720S will do worse, much worse. Just walk across the street and take a peek, there are at least half a dozen of them with an used one already in the showroom. And judging from the history of the Mac's value; added by its "distinct" look; their first owners are going to take a huge haircut.

The Perf would depreciate just like the rest of the Huracan series. The soft top version is already a done deal. Lambo is concentrating on marketing the Urus of course but once that hype is over, rest assure that more potent versions of the Perf will follow not unlike the Gallardo STS & SC as there is plenty of life left in the H series. There are or will be too many of them so the rarity factor will not hold and likewise for its value.

That being said, the 720S will do worse, much worse. Just walk across the street and take a peek, there are at least half a dozen of them with an used one already in the showroom. And judging from the history of the Mac's value; added by its "distinct" look; their first owners are going to take a huge haircut.

As one of those who took more than a huge haircut on a 6 month old 650S I can tell you- NEVER AGAIN. The HP even if it does follow the normal curve will fair far better IMO