How does the Aventador handle in the Canyons?

IanMan

Hey all. I just got done with an exciting week in LA, driving the canyons and various other routes in my M3 sedan and it was absolutely terrific! I know that V12 Lamborghini's aren't necessarily meant for that kind of driving, but I'm quite curious to know if anyone here drives the canyons in their Aventador, and how it handles. Can you go fast, or are you often putting a lot of effort in getting it to turn on the tight turns?

The few autocross events I've been to I noticed that the AWD cars were prone to terrible understeer and were shadowed by the RWD cars in the tight turns.

M3 is a different beast--goes without saying compared to the Aventador. I did canyon driving with the Aventador for 3 vacation seasons and I have a blast with the V12. the sound, the feel, the power but the M3 I would imagine is more nimble. SO at the end of the day, its all want you're looking for. Either car will be a joy to drive in the canyon over LA. ENJOY

In the Canyons the V12 is mind blowing and can be a little scary at times, because the power and speed of the car takes some adjustment. On the super-tight rides the size of the car gets very noticeable. On wider and longer sweeping turns the V12 is unbeatable fun. It really depends on the road. The M3 is a hell of a machine and was built for nimble quick turns. The Aventador really shines in places where you can open it up, so more sweeping straights are better suited for that car. My 2 cents.

In the Canyons the V12 is mind blowing and can be a little scary at times, because the power and speed of the car takes some adjustment. On the super-tight rides the size of the car gets very noticeable. On wider and longer sweeping turns the V12 is unbeatable fun. It really depends on the road. The M3 is a hell of a machine and was built for nimble quick turns. The Aventador really shines in places where you can open it up, so more sweeping straights are better suited for that car. My 2 cents.

Absolutely spot on!

Absolutely spot on!

:icon_thumleft:

Here's a video my friend shot while riding shotgun when I took the Aventador Roadster in the canyons of Monetery, California. The long, wide sweeping turns made it beyond fun and the sound of the V12 is beautifully primal :icon_super:

:icon_thumleft:

Here's a video my friend shot while riding shotgun when I took the Aventador Roadster in the canyons of Monetery, California. The long, wide sweeping turns made it beyond fun and the sound of the V12 is beautifully primal :icon_super:

Why are you guys so serious in the second part of the video? I would have a huge smile all the time. Perfect car on perfect road in great weather!

Why are you guys so serious in the second part of the video? I would have a huge smile all the time. Perfect car on perfect road in great weather!

That snippet edited out all of the giddiness and uncontrollable smiles and exclamations that occurred before and after :lol2: The Aventador has the strange power to reduce full grown men into giddy 5-year old kids :eusa_dance:

That snippet edited out all of the giddiness and uncontrollable smiles and exclamations that occurred before and after :lol2: The Aventador has the strange power to reduce full grown men into giddy 5-year old kids :eusa_dance:

I found the Aventador deeply disappointing. The understeer at the limit was ever present and the ISR gearshift, slow and not brutal.

Back to back - LP GSL was a much better drivers car.

Having owned an e90 M3 living in the Santa Monica (Malibu) mountains, I can categorically say it was a disappointment. Under braked, understeery, needs an auxiliary oil cooler and the car felt very top heavy, admittedly my point of reference was a lowered Gallardo, but it wasn't a satisfying car to flog in a canyon. Don't get me wrong, it was a fun car, but it always felt you needed to throw another $10k-$15k at it improving the suspension, cooling and brakes which on a leased throw away car pointless.

I found the Aventador deeply disappointing. The understeer at the limit was ever present and the ISR gearshift, slow and not brutal.

Back to back - LP GSL was a much better drivers car.

Having owned an e90 M3 living in the Santa Monica (Malibu) mountains, I can categorically say it was a disappointment. Under braked, understeery, needs an auxiliary oil cooler and the car felt very top heavy, admittedly my point of reference was a lowered Gallardo, but it wasn't a satisfying car to flog in a canyon. Don't get me wrong, it was a fun car, but it always felt you needed to throw another $10k-$15k at it improving the suspension, cooling and brakes which on a leased throw away car pointless.

Different strokes for different folks. Depending on what type of driver you are different cars will fill those needs better. The great thing about the car world is there is no "right" answer for everyone. I love the V10 cars, in fact I could see myself scooping up a Perfomante Gallardo or a Huracan Spyer as a fun daily. But when driving the Gallardo and the Haracan I personally missed the Aventador, and when in the Aventador the thought of anything else did not enter my mind. I'll admit biased since the Aventador is presently my favorite Lamborghini and car I've ever driven (and I've driven just about everything). For me it checks all the right boxes and is the best complete driving experience for what I love.

For the Malibu-type canyons I think the most fun car I've driven is a first gen Acura NSX, in the tight turns and twists it's an insane amount of fun. Great bang for buck even though by modern standards it's terribly slow and under powered. But if you want a dedicated canyon carver, it's a great way to go.

Different strokes for different folks. Depending on what type of driver you are different cars will fill those needs better. The great thing about the car world is there is no "right" answer for everyone. I love the V10 cars, in fact I could see myself scooping up a Perfomante Gallardo or a Huracan Spyer as a fun daily. But when driving the Gallardo and the Haracan I personally missed the Aventador, and when in the Aventador the thought of anything else did not enter my mind. I'll admit biased since the Aventador is presently my favorite Lamborghini and car I've ever driven (and I've driven just about everything). For me it checks all the right boxes and is the best complete driving experience for what I love.

For the Malibu-type canyons I think the most fun car I've driven is a first gen Acura NSX, in the tight turns and twists it's an insane amount of fun. Great bang for buck even though by modern standards it's terribly slow and under powered. But if you want a dedicated canyon carver, it's a great way to go.

Agreed 100%. I have owned a bunch of ferraris (including the 458), and a gallardo. Just got an Aventador. In non exotics I have owned the merc sl's, BMW m3, Nissan 370Z and an assortment of trucks and suvs.

Out of EVERYTHING I've driven and owned (and I'm like you, I have driven a lot of cars), the Aventador is by far my most favorite car of all times. At first, coming from a 458 I had some issues because it felt a little less refined and not as smooth and put together. The lack of a dual clutch bothered me at first. I didn't realize at the time that those were the exact traits I would come to appreciate and fall in love with.

Anyone who says the shifts in an Aventador are not brutal have not been driving it in corsa mode. Show me ANY other car with that sort of chiropractic jolt. There's nothing out there. Not to mention it looks absolutely stunning from every angle.

For canyon runs my all time favorite was the 360 spider followed by the m3. I haven't done a canyon run in the Aventador yet.

Agreed 100%. I have owned a bunch of ferraris (including the 458), and a gallardo. Just got an Aventador. In non exotics I have owned the merc sl's, BMW m3, Nissan 370Z and an assortment of trucks and suvs.

Out of EVERYTHING I've driven and owned (and I'm like you, I have driven a lot of cars), the Aventador is by far my most favorite car of all times. At first, coming from a 458 I had some issues because it felt a little less refined and not as smooth and put together. The lack of a dual clutch bothered me at first. I didn't realize at the time that those were the exact traits I would come to appreciate and fall in love with.

Anyone who says the shifts in an Aventador are not brutal have not been driving it in corsa mode. Show me ANY other car with that sort of chiropractic jolt. There's nothing out there. Not to mention it looks absolutely stunning from every angle.

For canyon runs my all time favorite was the 360 spider followed by the m3. I haven't done a canyon run in the Aventador yet.

:iamwithstupid:

The Aventaor is great in the canyons, but you need wide, long sweeping roads to really open up the car and let it run. In hairpin twisties the size makes it not as enjoyable and something like an M3 or NSX will really shine.

The Aventaor is great in the canyons, but you need wide, long sweeping roads to really open up the car and let it run. In hairpin twisties the size makes it not as enjoyable and something like an M3 or NSX will really shine.

I agree 100% with what you said, there is no car that I've experience which is more enjoyable than the SV on long sweeping roads, hairpin twisties are a bit more difficult to tackle going in but coming out it wants to rip your face off which is fantastic LOL

The car is a beast, now the S with 4WS will be a completely different animal in the sharper turns.

A small nimble car will always be quicker in the canyons. The Avey is far to wide to try and stick between the yellow lines. My old GTR would kill an Avey in the canyons, yet Id rather drive my old Countach in the canyons anyday.

• 2 weeks later...
Different strokes for different folks. Depending on what type of driver you are different cars will fill those needs better. The great thing about the car world is there is no "right" answer for everyone.

kinnsella is a more hardcore driver than most on LP, which is useful since he will actually push limits on cars that most wouldn't be able to.

To those of that ilk, none of the big V12 Lambos were ever anything special in the handling sense. The M.O. of the big Lambo I always felt was 5 to 7 tenths, pound it on the straights, enjoy the power and sound, rinse, repeat.

kinnsella is a more hardcore driver than most on LP, which is useful since he will actually push limits on cars that most wouldn't be able to.

To those of that ilk, none of the big V12 Lambos were ever anything special in the handling sense. The M.O. of the big Lambo I always felt was 5 to 7 tenths, pound it on the straights, enjoy the power and sound, rinse, repeat.

I was of the same opinion until I seriously drove the SV on the twisties, I've never had so much fun in a car.

Where it was not so pleasant was on very narrow roads where the crown of the road was quite accentuated, that's where I lost the sacrificial plastic trim from under the front bumper.

The SV corners so flat it's scary, it certainly is a better car than I am driver, it's so capable that it's is giving me doubt it my abilities because I don't know where my limit is.

The long sweepers are just mind bending, I wish there was a proper track near by where I could open it up properly and have a bit of room for error.

I'm more of that ilk as well (I track a lot and love pshing cars on the track). To me the V12's are beast and challenge that makes them so much more fun and special...I can't ever see myself getting a McLaren or a car like a 911 GT3 (though that 997 4.0 is another story...) they are fantastic machines, but for what I like from a car they don't deliver. To each their own! To this day the Aventador Roadster is still my favorite car I've driven, and I've driven a lot of cars. The total experience of the V12 is tough to beat :)

According to fresh EVO mag the new Aventador S is very good in tight corners too, thanks to multiple revisions and rear wheels steering. Absolutely my dreamcar!

• 2 months later...

That's why it necessary to buy everything:D

That's why it necessary to buy everything:D

Hey Eric! Been a little while since we hung out. Glad to see you back on the board!