G Wagon Impressions?

sprite

Anyone here have any impressions on the G Wagon? Trying to figure out what I should replace my Jeep Grand Cherokee with when it comes time to trade it in. Considering either G63, G65 or the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk. Is the V12 in the G65 worth the extra cash or is the V8TT in the G63 the best engine? Looking at the used ones listed the G65 seem to have dropped a ton more in value from original MSRP than the G63, at least as far as asking price goes.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk would be another fun option with 707hp and 0-60 in 3.5s. I think overall the Jeep is probably a better car than the Mercedes, but I really like the 'luxury' feel and also the additional cargo space of the G wagon.

Finally any specific things I should be looking out for when having a PPI done if buying a preowned G class?

In general, the 63 motor is superior to the 65. Its much newer, more refined, a ton better tech. You can tune the 63 to be just as powerful as well. One thing with the 65, its a good bit heavier, and in a terrible place (out over the front axle). I would bet the two drive substantially different, with the 63 being much sharper and more stable, based on nothing but motor weight.

They are novel but i cant say im a big fan. Get the track hawk and beat the snot out of it. :icon_thumleft:

In general, the 63 motor is superior to the 65. Its much newer, more refined, a ton better tech. You can tune the 63 to be just as powerful as well. One thing with the 65, its a good bit heavier, and in a terrible place (out over the front axle). I would bet the two drive substantially different, with the 63 being much sharper and more stable, based on nothing but motor weight.

They are novel but i cant say im a big fan. Get the track hawk and beat the snot out of it. :icon_thumleft:

That's what I suspected, so that rules out the G65. Will make the decision a bit easier. I really like the look of something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Mercedes-Benz...PR8&vxp=mtr

The listing mentions brabus and mansory updates but the only thing I can see is the front lip. Is there something I'm missing? Other than that it just looks like a lot of stuff has been painted black.

Front LEDs are the only thing I notice aftermarket, other than the extra black paint you mention.

The G is a polarizing vehicle and perhaps an acquired taste. Certainly not as comfy or fast as that Jeep but I think much more special. They are bullet proof so zero worries there, just drive them and buy the one you like.

And I agree with emanon, 65 is worse in every conceivable way, no idea why they still make them.

+1 on the G63. If I traded it, it would be for another G63 in a different color. I'm waiting eagerly to see what they do in 2018. There's supposed to be some cosmetic updates. Shorter and wider body. The current MY is timeless though.

Not sure the 65 is less refined than the 63.....it is a V12 compared to a V8, and if anything is throwing that off, it's the damn turbos.

Having said that, refinement for a G SUV is not as critical as an S class.

The 63 probably is sportier in the torque delivery of both the motor and transmission. The Benz V12s are more suited to Autobahn use IMO while the AMG V8 gives you that low end grunt. I drove an S600 several years ago and it didn't give off that muscle car feel whatsoever, and unless you do a lot of high speed driving it felt redundant on the street compared to a 550.

Generally speaking, I like the powerful SUVs, but don't think a high powered G gives you any more pleasure than a standard 550....ML, a different story....GL too probably.

Grand Cherokee, was made for monster engines.

Never owned one but have a good friend who is a diehard fan of G-Wagons and he owned like 7 of them each with a different engine and we go on drives in them once a while (he still has 2). He too likes the G63 and the G550 best. They seemed to have the best overall balance and finesse whereas the G65 is just pure brute force hp. The G-wagon is quirky though which is a plus and a minus. Plus being it's unique & iconic; minus being underneath it's a decades-old design. The "modern" ones are somewhat being force-fed with all the electronics and luxury stuff which the truck wasn't really designed for so it's a compromise at best. Even with Mercedes engineering, they can only do so much with an archaic design. From a straight truck vs. truck basis, the Trackhawk would be a far superior vehicle (although the parts quality would be less). But I suppose the G-Wagon is in a league of its own and it's the actual quirkiness that is attracting a somewhat cult following.

The G wagen is an ICON. It's not a good vehicle. It is The Mercedes w the highest resale value unless you included the sls.

The interior rear seats are too small (legroom). It rides like a truck.

Those are all it's quirks and charms. I used to daily drive my H1 hummer around town and I lobe my lp640 so I understand living a quirky vehicle.

You have to decide if you like quirks or comfort.

Hey sprite we owned the 63 and 550 at the same time, sold both after about a year.

With kids they suck, rear space isn't good and the kids kick the seats. The vehicles aren't luxurious by any stretch, and compared to the cars you've owned, they don't feel very quick and that includes the 65 but who cares.

On the positive the exterior looks awesome IMO, great for going out for dinner and also bombing around town doing errands. Also another positive, sold both for what we bought them for, they hold their values well. They look classy and rugged and also it's a statement vehicle that does all the talking for you when you pull up to the restaurant.

Regarding PPI, my 550 had water marks if you looked closely in the headliner. I checked it out and the little channels weren't venting the water properly, causing a leak. I had it fixed under warranty. When I checked online it turned out many other owners had the same issue.

I'll probably buy another one after my C43 as all "normal" cars are kind of boring now, so the only solution is switching it up often.

I drove the g550 and it felt slow yet fun. I would go with a new or cpo g63. The repair on these can't be cheap so the warranty would be worth the extra money if going used.

+1 on the G63. If I traded it, it would be for another G63 in a different color. I'm waiting eagerly to see what they do in 2018. There's supposed to be some cosmetic updates. Shorter and wider body. The current MY is timeless though.

Thank god for the consideration of wider body on the G. I was considering one but could never get used to the thin and vertical appearance of the car. Each time I saw one I really tried to like it, but it just looked odd to me. Saw a beautiful pearl orange G at Fletcher, but just couldn't do it. Ended up with a Jeep Sahara instead & you can trick the crap out of them too in making it your own.

As far as the G with 65, I would think you could do a simple & inexpensive ECU upgrade and have a real rocket if speed is your thing. My MBZ SL SL600 V12 has RENNtech ECU and it feels as fast as my Lambo, 725 torque. Faster than my stock SL65, so I know the chip upgrade works wonders & the engine is bulletproof to handle it.

The G wagen is an ICON. It's not a good vehicle. It is The Mercedes w the highest resale value unless you included the sls.

The interior rear seats are too small (legroom). It rides like a truck.

Those are all it's quirks and charms. I used to daily drive my H1 hummer around town and I lobe my lp640 so I understand living a quirky vehicle.

You have to decide if you like quirks or comfort.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I drove a 63 back to back with a LWB Range Rover and just couldn't justify living with 2 ridiculous cars lol.

My wife drives our G63 and she loves it! It definitely has character and as Assman said, it drives like a truck - not smooth. She also throws our 4 kids in it and shuttles them around. I'm pretty surprised she likes to daily it, as it's not the most comfortable ride. Definitely test drive one to see if you like the quirky driving characteristics.

I get a chance to steal it and take it out for what it's made for and it is verryy capable.

335BF374-5721-49DF-A1A3-283CAF24FFD0_zps

123CCFA9-A907-4F0C-A95F-C7801FAD37A3_zps

BTW, just saw your SV today - it looks fricking badass!

01B49B95-7EDB-4A03-8E5D-76A97C9D3795_zps

It's a niche SUV. Assman said it well. Mine lasted 6 months. I put the Renntecg ECU in it and it was like taking a wild beast on full acceleration. Be good 3rd or 4th car though.

Can't have it all - a serious offroader than rides/handles like a car. Just doesn't exist.

Surely if style and car ride quality is the goal, couldn't a GL accomplish the task?

Can't have it all - a serious offroader than rides/handles like a car. Just doesn't exist.

Surely if style and car ride quality is the goal, couldn't a GL accomplish the task?

GL is very different and much bigger. And don't call me Shirley.

You know I have one and you can drive it any time you would like to. Can swing by today if you are around.

You know I have one and you can drive it any time you would like to. Can swing by today if you are around.

I'm in Europe for the summer :) I have a feeling by the time I get back you will have something completely different lol.

I'm in Europe for the summer :) I have a feeling by the time I get back you will have something completely different lol.

Ah, duh. I knew that. Yeah, it may not survive the summer.

GL is very different and much bigger. And don't call me Shirley.

GL is big indeed but not meant to go off road.

ML does the 63 justice in the right hands:

Anyone here have any impressions on the G Wagon?

It is a seventies coachbuilt military tractor.

Trying to figure out what I should replace my Jeep Grand Cherokee with when it comes time to trade it in.

Have you thought about replacing it with any other 70's mil tractors? If not then why G?

Seriously I think they are cool in utilitarian use, but posh models only work on instagram pics, must be horrible to drive motorways...

My friends father has white original that is good for hauling stuff and has aerodynamics of brick.

Any lip or lightbar on top of the windshield will make aerodynamics and noise even worse, just look at salomondrin's videos.

It is a seventies coachbuilt military tractor.

Have you thought about replacing it with any other 70's mil tractors? If not then why G?

Seriously I think they are cool in utilitarian use, but posh models only work on instagram pics, must be horrible to drive motorways...

My friends father has white original that is good for hauling stuff and has aerodynamics of brick.

Any lip or lightbar on top of the windshield will make aerodynamics and noise even worse, just look at salomondrin's videos.

Lol I've driven older military G Wagons [with underpowered diesel engines] quite a bit in the military when doing my mandatory service 14 years ago. I've also driven my friends G550. They drive nothing alike.

This car would be used to haul stuff, grocery store and driving to my beach house [4-5 hour drive]. I know the G wagon has the aerodynamics of a brick, but I think it will do just fine at 90-100mph which is my normal cruising speed on US highways.

I'm still not any closer to deciding between the track hawk and a G63 though, but at least I ruled out the G65.