Alpine 7909 value?

Cabbe

I'm trying to sell my alpine 7909 and alpine 5959 CD changer. But I'm having a hard time finding how much they are worth.

Can you guys give me any leads?

This is the only other one I have found.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/162462345477

But mine has been in my closet for atleast 10 years, so I'm not even sure if it runs any more?

Any ideas what it's worth?

I'm trying to sell my alpine 7909 and alpine 5959 CD changer. But I'm having a hard time finding how much they are worth.

Can you guys give me any leads?

This is the only other one I have found.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/162462345477

But mine has been in my closet for atleast 10 years, so I'm not even sure if it runs any more?

Any ideas what it's worth?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/2...-291-300-a.html

700$?

7909 is probably the best sounding head unit Alpine has ever made.

It should be able to go over $1000, wouldn't surprise me.

I haven't been in that game in awhile, but it's a top 5 head unit for hardcore sound quality guys.

Wow, I'm almost positive I have one of those in the garage somewhere, I had no idea it was worth so much money. Thanks for the heads up!

Hi Cabbe, I'm interested in the head unit, could you please email me on [email protected]

Cheers

1 post and signed up this week......shows that this thread SEO'd well for the 7909, and that it's pretty well sought after. :icon_thumleft:

Wow, I'm almost positive I have one of those in the garage somewhere, I had no idea it was worth so much money. Thanks for the heads up!

Depends on your definition of a lot of money, but in the high end car audio SQ circles (in no particular order), the Alpine 7909, the McIntosh MX-5000, Denon DCT-R1, and the Nakamichi CD-700II are your top of the top head units (without utilizing an external D/A converter). They are good for car audio competitions where everything is played off a burnt CD and the inconvenience of no MP3/ipod connections, Bluetooth, etc. are irrelevant. Strictly from a pre-amp, D/A converter, transport point of view, this is as good as it gets.

As such they will all fetch low four figures in good condition typically, sometimes more. Compared to what's considered top of the top since around 2000 (e.g. Alpine F#1 CDA-7990), these are all vastly superior sounding. Another example of engineering over marketing/bean counting in the car audio world prevalent in the good ole days, but I digress....

The McIntosh MX-406 stock from the Ford GT is a pretty good head unit. Maybe not the car to do a nice system in, but if the hookup is there to get an OEM from Ford, it's good to know.

Depends on your definition of a lot of money, but in the high end car audio SQ circles (in no particular order), the Alpine 7909, the McIntosh MX-5000, Denon DCT-R1, and the Nakamichi CD-700II are your top of the top head units (without utilizing an external D/A converter). They are good for car audio competitions where everything is played off a burnt CD and the inconvenience of no MP3/ipod connections, Bluetooth, etc. are irrelevant. Strictly from a pre-amp, D/A converter, transport point of view, this is as good as it gets.

As such they will all fetch low four figures in good condition typically, sometimes more. Compared to what's considered top of the top since around 2000 (e.g. Alpine F#1 CDA-7990), these are all vastly superior sounding. Another example of engineering over marketing/bean counting in the car audio world prevalent in the good ole days, but I digress....

The McIntosh MX-406 stock from the Ford GT is a pretty good head unit. Maybe not the car to do a nice system in, but if the hookup is there to get an OEM from Ford, it's good to know.

Didn't some of the latter versions of the 7909 had issues with CD-R's? Or was it the other way around --- the earlier versions can't play CD-R's. Your thoughts on the Nakamichi MB-100?

• 1 month later...
Didn't some of the latter versions of the 7909 had issues with CD-R's? Or was it the other way around --- the earlier versions can't play CD-R's. Your thoughts on the Nakamichi MB-100?

OP, I was searching the net for some info on the 7909 and came across your post. I attempted to email and PM you but no dice since I literally just signed up.

If you still have this unit I might be interested in purchasing it from you. I'm not some crazy scammer... I can provide a litany of references from various forums and eBay. If you don't mind, shoot me an email at hardisj(at)gmail(dot)com so we can talk.

To everyone else, sorry for bumping an old post.

- Erin

Edit: Regarding some of the replies, keep in mind these units are indeed old. I've purchased some that were still BNIB and still had to send them off for capacitor updates (caps get old and leak and ruin the board) which can cost anywhere from $200-400 depending on how good/trustworthy the technician is. Running one without a cap update can potentially lead to a non-repairable unit. Outside of that, the power supplies are NLA and the lasers tend to go bad. So these are things that must be considered when dealing with older units with parts that are NLA.

Sorry I missed this post, but I'm sure you can understand given how quickly these threads die.

I believe you are right that the 7909s had some issues with CD-Rs, understandable given its age. At the same time, it cannot be too bad because car audio competitions historically (and probably still true today) burnt a CD-R as the source material. If it was that bad an issue, the 7909 would have died on the comp scene and I never heard such a thing.

Don't know about the MB-100 but I'm sure if it's of that era it is very good to great. Whether it is better or worse than an Alpine CD changer of that era I don't know.

Nakamichi to me was the Rolls Royce of car audio from the early '80s up to the early to mid '90s. Just about everything they made was best down to top 3-4 and rarely ever anything mediocre, at least on the sound quality end.

To this day I still try and source all old Nakamichi tweeters for all of my cars, and have a few goodies stockpiled as well. You would have to go home audio drivers (the good ones) to beat it, IMO.

OP, I was searching the net for some info on the 7909 and came across your post. I attempted to email and PM you but no dice since I literally just signed up.

If you still have this unit I might be interested in purchasing it from you. I'm not some crazy scammer... I can provide a litany of references from various forums and eBay. If you don't mind, shoot me an email at hardisj(at)gmail(dot)com so we can talk.

To everyone else, sorry for bumping an old post.

- Erin

Edit: Regarding some of the replies, keep in mind these units are indeed old. I've purchased some that were still BNIB and still had to send them off for capacitor updates (caps get old and leak and ruin the board) which can cost anywhere from $200-400 depending on how good/trustworthy the technician is. Running one without a cap update can potentially lead to a non-repairable unit. Outside of that, the power supplies are NLA and the lasers tend to go bad. So these are things that must be considered when dealing with older units with parts that are NLA.

This is the big issue pursuing this old gear. I guess the parallels to maintaining old cars with hard to find parts are on point. I've had to deal with parts going bad in some of my older Phoenix Gold MS series amplifiers which have driven me crazy but when working, the smile is worth it.

It's par for the course with these old units.

Wonder what happened to the OP's 7909?

Sorry I missed this post, but I'm sure you can understand given how quickly these threads die.

I believe you are right that the 7909s had some issues with CD-Rs, understandable given its age. At the same time, it cannot be too bad because car audio competitions historically (and probably still true today) burnt a CD-R as the source material. If it was that bad an issue, the 7909 would have died on the comp scene and I never heard such a thing.

Don't know about the MB-100 but I'm sure if it's of that era it is very good to great. Whether it is better or worse than an Alpine CD changer of that era I don't know.

Nakamichi to me was the Rolls Royce of car audio from the early '80s up to the early to mid '90s. Just about everything they made was best down to top 3-4 and rarely ever anything mediocre, at least on the sound quality end.

To this day I still try and source all old Nakamichi tweeters for all of my cars, and have a few goodies stockpiled as well. You would have to go home audio drivers (the good ones) to beat it, IMO.

No worries.

Agree with your analysis on the CD-R issues per 7909.

A friend of mine had the Nakamichi MB-100 setup. It consisted of the head unit, the CD changer and the outboard processor. After moving for 3X, he discovered that the processor was lost. So he ended up giving me the head unit and the changer. That changer is built like a vault and looks like it can play through a magnitude 8 earthquake without missing a beat! I ended up finding a replacement processor unit (where else but Japan) but I never really hooked up everything for a serious audition. I just knew everything was functioning as they should.

Nakamichi was a great brand with superbly engineered hardware until they sold it off to the Koreans who tried to take it mainstream and ended up killing the brand altogether! :crybaby2: Let's see if the current Chinese owner would be able to resurrect the brand to its former glory but I am not holding my breath. As you might have guessed, I am not too familiar with their car audio products but their cassette tape technology was on top of the world. For those in the know, who can forget their RX-505 unidirectional auto-reverse deck --- likely THE coolest cassette player/recorder ever made. They completely spun the concept of an auto-reverse deck around (pun intended :) ). And, of course, the Dragon deck is simply the ultimate deck to have. And, to this day, I still regret selling the 1000 DAT ensemble... :eusa_wall:

Regrets for the off topic but Alpine and Nakamichi were THE car audio gears to get for that era.

No worries.

Agree with your analysis on the CD-R issues per 7909.

A friend of mine had the Nakamichi MB-100 setup. It consisted of the head unit, the CD changer and the outboard processor. After moving for 3X, he discovered that the processor was lost. So he ended up giving me the head unit and the changer. That changer is built like a vault and looks like it can play through a magnitude 8 earthquake without missing a beat! I ended up finding a replacement processor unit (where else but Japan) but I never really hooked up everything for a serious audition. I just knew everything was functioning as they should.

Nakamichi was a great brand with superbly engineered hardware until they sold it off to the Koreans who tried to take it mainstream and ended up killing the brand altogether! :crybaby2: Let's see if the current Chinese owner would be able to resurrect the brand to its former glory but I am not holding my breath. As you might have guessed, I am not too familiar with their car audio products but their cassette tape technology was on top of the world. For those in the know, who can forget their RX-505 unidirectional auto-reverse deck --- likely THE coolest cassette player/recorder ever made. They completely spun the concept of an auto-reverse deck around (pun intended :) ). And, of course, the Dragon deck is simply the ultimate deck to have. And, to this day, I still regret selling the 1000 DAT ensemble... :eusa_wall:

Regrets for the off topic but Alpine and Nakamichi were THE car audio gears to get for that era.

Yeah, don't hold your breath. I stopped holding mine a long time ago and get along just fine these days!

For our friends looking for a metaphor here to explain car audio then and now, it's as if Lamborghini went from the Countach to Diablo and just made a bunch of GTRs.

On paper the marketing department will say "but hey, the specs are better....it's faster, it's cheaper, it's more reliable, it does everything better".......right.... :rolleyes:

Except I would go one up here and say imagine the Diablo still kicked the GTR's ass in every objective manner. :icon_super: