Went and test drove a 997TT Tip Cabrio

Allan-Herbie

So after our Supersports drive we decided to head down to the porsche dealer and drive 997 Turbo TIP..

The first thing I noticed is how much I love the look of the Gt3. Such an awesome looking car. The best inmo of the entire lineup. Also saw the new Panamera... Not so pretty to look at, but has a sweet interior and Im sure its a great drive... Anyways on to the TT.

Immidietely after getting into the 997, is like getting into an old friend. The immidiete feel reminded me instantly of my old 911's and 930's. Sure the car is 100X better, but if you were blindfolded and put into the car, you know exactly what you are in. It carries the 911 feel and heritage very well. While lets say, A murcielago doesnt feel anything like a Countach, or a Gallardo does not feel like a Jalpa.

Not having driven a 911 in awhile I was reminded how small the cabin really is.. You litterly sit one on top of the other in the car. A Gallardo is far more spacious. Everything is very well made, and the interior seemed to be EXACTLY the same as Deuces Cayman S. The tip works well, although I did find the shift buttons on the steering wheel rather annoying. They arent like paddle shiffters, instead you can up shift and down shift on each side of the steering wheel. Im sure its something you get used to.

After the Supersports, the power of the Porsche honestly did not impress. ( to be fair there were 3 of us in the car and it is Cabrio) We tried to launch it, but the salesman said the PSM button had nothing to do with the launch which i believe he was wrong about.. Initially it bogged, and about 4k rpm it started to go.. With the top down the noise from the turbos was pretty cool. Just a loud swooshing noise.

All in all, the car is a very good car, but doesnt feel special in the least. Hard to explain. Its nice, its fun, handles well, brakes well... but is it a car to lust after? Not for me. Doesnt mean I dont want one, as I certainly do. Great daily driver, with a few mods it will certainly be far more fun. But when you drive a Lambo, you bring it back home park it in the garage and take one last look at it, with the Porsche you just park it and walk away.

I look forward to driving the PDK version. I think that will be much better..

Great writeup allan, and I agree, it seems the 997TT really is a perfect DD/Cruiser, but doesn't make the blood boil like a true exotic. But a chip and an exhuast and you have a ferocious daily!

I drove the Panamera. I drove the S not the TT. Very good driving car. Cockpit is awesome. Its just ugly as hell. Not for me, but a nice car.

Good writeup. I saw the Panamera in the flesh the other day. Interior looks nice, but the hatchback absolutely kills it. I am sure it will sell, but not to company expectations. It looks like they took a 911, stretched out and widened the nose, and welded a cayenne trunk to it.

The new pdk tt is supposed to be way ahead of the one you drove. Like said above, it will have proper paddle shifters, which will eventually become ubiquitous in the 911 lineup.

I'm surprised that Lambo hasn't put dsg into the lp560.

Cab is slightly heavier and not as quick as coupe, tiptronic is sometimes slow to learn as it is an adaptive system so would have needed a couple of kickdowns to wake it up, in essence it's the same GT1 block as the 996 turbo but with variable turbine geometry (VTG).

PDK Turbo, well all the people I know who have driven it say it's the business, hopefully test driving one soon! I drove a PDK C4S and that was fun 0-60 in 4.3 not bad considering the 420hp turbo is doing 4.2!

allan you can always change out the steering wheel to one with paddles... and if you have tiny tym swiss cheese work his magic on it... fast DD ... I agree my 996tt does not have the exotic feel my gallardo had.... and the porsche wont turn heads like the lambos do...

I heard you have to PAY to have the paddles on the new PDK. What kind of shit is that?

Good writeup. I saw the Panamera in the flesh the other day. Interior looks nice, but the hatchback absolutely kills it. I am sure it will sell, but not to company expectations. It looks like they took a 911, stretched out and widened the nose, and welded a cayenne trunk to it.

exactly my thoughts looks like a botched up limo conversion job!

I had the opportunity to be taken for a ride in a panamera turbo with PDK. It was the factory test car so only the mechanic certified to work on it was allowed to drive it, not even the salesman. I was able to experience a TRUE launch with the new PDK and launch control on this car and let me tell you, it was like nothing I've ever felt before in my life. Truly something to lust after if your an adrenaline junkie like most of us. I was able to drive the S (400HP) and liked the car but I need something with more room for a DD and this car feels more like a MB CLS on the inside. A little small for me, other than than its a serious ride. I highly recommend checking out the launch control as it was something else.

exactly my thoughts looks like a botched up limo conversion job!

No, I actually think they did a great job grafting the face of a C0rvette onto a lowered Cayenne. :icon_mrgreen:

To be fair, the Panamera is a nice car and well-engineered for performance. But is it just ever soooo ugly!

To be fair, the Panamera is a nice car and well-engineered for performance. But is it just ever soooo ugly!

Exactly my thoughts, I owned a Turbo Cayenne and I loved the car but god it was ugly :icon_mrgreen:

I am sure Panamera is a great car to drive but it makes the Cayenne look like a supermodel