Creatures in your house.....what has surprised you?

cake

On Saturday (Christmas Eve) we discovered a bat in our dining room blind. Yes - inside the house, INSIDE the blind. Silhouette blinds: 3 dimensional. If you're not familiar - picture a front panel and a back panel connected by horizontal louvres that form a "ladder". All made from sheer fabric.

The bat was at the top louvre about a foot in from the edge.

The dining room is open to other rooms. No doors except laundry, master, study and powder room. If the bat chose to fly around the house it had plenty of rooms to choose from.

We tarped off dining room to keep it contained. Then we tarped off the bay window to keep it further contained. Then hubby opened an adjacent window and we were hoping Mr. Bat would fly out. It slowly crept to the opening but then turned around and went to the center of the blind. Moving VERY slowly.

At first we thought it was sick or injured but learned it might be sluggish from hibernation mode and very reduced metabolism.

Hubby got a retraction tool, grabbed the bat - put it out the window onto the hedge. It stayed there till dark. In the morning it was gone.

I have learned a lot about bats. They are very beneficial creatures and terribly misunderstood. They begin flight by dropping and catching air - so they cannot start flying from the ground. Always best to put them at least 8 feet up. I assume our little bat was either taken by a predator or crawled up to a sufficient height to fly away (I'm hoping the latter).

BEFORE

IMG_0637.JPG

AFTER

IMG_0638.JPG

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! That's quite an experience. I'd actually prefer the bat to the giant centipedes we get here, but that's just me. :lol2:

Photo isn't mine, just to show how big they get here.

post-210225-1482891693.jpeg

Wow! That's quite an experience. I'd actually prefer the bat to the giant centipedes we get here, but that's just me. :lol2:

I agree - I'd take a bat all day long over that thing! Yikes!!

bats

scorpions

snakes

iguanas

possum

raccoon

all kinds of spider

That's more of an assortment than I'd ever want.

We have everything you list (except iguana and scorpion) OUTSIDE, but never inside.

I agree - I'd take a bat all day long over that thing! Yikes!!

That's more of an assortment than I'd ever want.

We have everything you list (except iguana and scorpion) OUTSIDE, but never inside.

I'm fine as long as I don't have a crocodile come in.

hawaii is home to a lot of "NOPE" reasons to live there when it comes to creepy crawlies.

fcuk THAT SHIT

hawaii is home to a lot of "NOPE" reasons to live there when it comes to creepy crawlies.

Big Cane spiders too, but not one snake on any of the Islands.

We had a rattle snake in our back yard one year. A 6' long gopher snake another. A lot of wolf spiders about 5" in diameter.. tons of black widows.. thats about it.

My aunt had a Bat in her house once.. it got stuck to the screen door on the inside.. had to help it off and get it out of the house.. Ugh.

We had a wolf spider at our front door in Maryland. It was the biggest spider I'd ever seen! Had REALLY hairy legs!

Had a 4' northern water snake living in our water feature. Stayed a couple years and then moved on. It left after the frogs were depleted.

When I was living in Boulder CO. Have had a few bats in the house, snacks. my houses was located right at the base of the Flatirons. so my backyard was just empty mtn space. Have had a lot of bears, mtn lions, foxes, and hawks. Was fun and scary seeing them in the yard

I forgot about this little/big guy trying to get up the stairs of my house when I first moved here. He was really calm around me and let me pick him up with a letter. I let him go as I do with most things here.

The centipedes always ended up in the garbage disposal. If the centipedes bite you, you can get a nasty infection. The other thing I hate about living here is that there are cockroaches EVERYWHERE. Big ones too. It doesn't matter how clean your house is. They always get in and they fly too.

post-210225-1482997982.png

My dreams of Hawaii has been dismantled.

I can not stand cockroaches.

That tarantula hawk and centipede also need good amount of mixture of gasoline, candle wax, bariumnitrate, aluminium, white phosphorus, magnesium, thrown at them with shed built detonator.

ps. I dont take liability for accidentally destroyed property.

When I was living in an apartment complex in my younger years, in the dead middle of the night, I heard a something running around through my apartment. I was sorting through some documents on the floor earlier and whatever it was was running through the papers and making a ton of noise. I shot up out of bed, grabbed a gun, and flipped the lights on.

I am looking all around out the bedroom door, cant see anything. Out of nowhere, fcuking ferrett climbs up my comforter and jumps onto the bed. I honestly almost shit my pants. Comes up, starts playing with my leg. Little dude climbed in through my dryer vent and ate the cat food and then decided he wanted to chill. I guess the neighbor had moved out and let him go.

When I was living in an apartment complex in my younger years, in the dead middle of the night, I heard a something running around through my apartment. I was sorting through some documents on the floor earlier and whatever it was was running through the papers and making a ton of noise. I shot up out of bed, grabbed a gun, and flipped the lights on.

I am looking all around out the bedroom door, cant see anything. Out of nowhere, fcuking ferrett climbs up my comforter and jumps onto the bed. I honestly almost shit my pants. Comes up, starts playing with my leg. Little dude climbed in through my dryer vent and ate the cat food and then decided he wanted to chill. I guess the neighbor had moved out and let him go.

Heart attack material.

What do you mean? I thought that was just Erik in the photo. :lol2:

Couldn't be...no avocado! :icon_mrgreen:

Had bats at an apartment in college. They roosted (not sure what you call where they decide to live, but roost sounds good) in between the external siding of the building and the outside wall of my apartment. Bats like to eat tons of insects which was cool since there was a large parking light right outside their (and my) home and central Texas has a shit tion of insects. However as the old saying goes, with much insect eating, comes great gobs of bat poop (scientific term=guano) and that got quite smelly with our shared wall...plus the whole problem with Rabies and what not...anyway, we asked th apartment manager to do something about the bats, and their solution was to spray foam the opening in the siding where the bats got in and out of the wall...except they did it during the day...with the bats inside. So the bats got stuck, eventually died and their poor dead bat bodies added to the bat guano baking in the 105 degree Texas summer heat...we moved pretty soon after that.