Picked up an R8

RedGTS

I have driven R8's in the past but have never owned one, probably because the styling does not stimulate the emotional side of my brain the way a Lambo does. But after several years of Lambo ownership I know there are downsides to stimulating that level of an emotional response in others, especially living in an area where you can go years without seeing another Lambo. And it's not that I don't like the R8's styling; it's still very exotic looking out on the road, but with curves rather than the sharp angles and edges of a Lambo. So the rational side of me has been whispering "R8" for a year or so, and I'm glad I finally listened. It obviously drives very much like its sister, but is noticeably more comfortable and quieter with more headroom, etc. And of course the DCT is 2 or 3 levels of magnitude better than E-gear/R-tronic--it seems as smooth and quiet as any PDK I've ever driven, and makes me wonder again exactly why the DCT in the GTR is so clunky and noisy.

The other thing that caused me to go ahead and pull the trigger was that I am very underwhelmed with the pictures and video of the Gen. 2 that is coming out. Perhaps it will look better in person, but it looks more like another facelift than a new version, and not in a good way IMO. It looks to me like someone (possibly the same person/team who came up with the front and rear bumpers for 2013 Gallardo?) decided to spice it up a bit by adding a few sharper edges/angles here and there, which just doesn't flow very well with all the gentle curves IMO. And I particularly don't like the vertical fins they stuck in the front and rear vents, or the way they split the sideblades into two pieces, as the upper piece now looks very odd to me. Nor do I like the rectangular Lexus-like exhaust outlets. So no offense to anyone who buys one, and maybe I'll like the new car better once I see it, but I didn't see the new car as a reason to wait.

The color of the car is Suzuka Gray metallic, which is a really interesting color in that it looks like a white outside most of the time, but you can see the faint blueish gray at other times in lower light situations. Seems like maybe I remember Duhawks mentioning it one time, and I really like it. It is pretty well loaded with the diamond cut full leather interior and carbon fiber inlays, black optic package, etc., and really drives well. All it needs is a trip to Charlotte over the winter for some hormone replacement therapy. :icon_mrgreen:

R8as.jpg

R8cs.jpg

R8ds.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm going to do some cosmetic things like tint the lenses and probably add a c/f GT wing and diffuser, and I'm on the fence on whether to have the wheels powder coated black or get aftermarket wheels. iBoost, I sold the last TTG to a guy in TX.

Thanks guys. I'm going to do some cosmetic things like tint the lenses and probably add a c/f GT wing and diffuser, and I'm on the fence on whether to have the wheels powder coated black or get aftermarket wheels. iBoost, I sold the last TTG to a guy in TX.

Heffner did a 850 hp TT for my Last R8 major improvement but still streetable.

Heffner did a 850 hp TT for my Last R8 major improvement but still streetable.

Wayne was that a bolt-on I assume? I think UR's bolt on is around 800 whp on pump now, which is a pretty sweet option if you're not into racing liter bikes etc.

Wayne was that a bolt-on I assume? I think UR's bolt on is around 800 whp on pump now, which is a pretty sweet option if you're not into racing liter bikes etc.

Yes bolt on. One of the very few exotics I miss after selling it! Usually I just move on to the next ride

BUT I REALLY MISS THE TT R8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

r8kctrip.jpg

congrats! GT-R's DCT is super old these days, it's from 8 years ago now... lot's of time for the competitors to catch up and improve....

congrats! GT-R's DCT is super old these days, it's from 8 years ago now... lot's of time for the competitors to catch up and improve....

True, but the PDK came out in 2009 too, and it was smooth from the get go. I had an '09 Cayman S with PDK and I couldn't really tell any difference between it and the ones I've driven since then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Will update with some new pics once the weather clears up. Powder-coated the wheels black, added the GT c/f spoiler, and have installed black emblems and fuel filler door so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...