Roadster roof squeaking

rhyno

This is a question for all the Roadster owners. When I first got my car the roof made no noise, now with 7,000km of use the roof squeaks and rattles. It sounds the worst when from end lift is up and going over speed bumps or into driveways. Has there been any kind of recall for the roof and how much squeak is too much? Let me hear your opinions!

Ok! Few questions, did you post this exact thread a while back or the LP forum software is going haywire again?

Have you already traveled 7000 km in you SV ? :shock:

Is your roof carbon or the standard material?

There is a bit of grease/lubricant on the rubber seal which seals the area between the roof panels and the top of the fixed roof support at the back, is it possible that due to cold weather that lubricant was affected and needs to be reapplied?

Did you have a chat with the dealer?

I've only traveled 700 km in mine so far 95% of those without the roof, while the roof was on I didn't notice any noises, creeks or squeaks. I was actually very impressed the other day while driving over a notoriously bad piece of road when I looked up the roof was solid without any flex or movement.

Sorry to hear about your issues I hope you will resolve it quickly, rattles and squeaks drive me NUTZ!

You likely need to condition the seals. They are rubberized, and with the weather changes and the less humid air, they could be slightly dry. I am not sure if Lamborghini recommends a specific treatment for them, but I am sure you can use any silicone based treatment and it should solve it. Also, make sure that it is latching 100% tightly. Could the latch be slightly loose?

As with Fortis, I cannot stand having irregular noises in a car, I hear them all and they drive me batshit.

Have you tried using something like Sill Glide from Napa? It's very good for conditioning rubber and keeping it conditioned. It'll even pull the corrosion off of the rubber if any.

You likely need to condition the seals. They are rubberized, and with the weather changes and the less humid air, they could be slightly dry. I am not sure if Lamborghini recommends a specific treatment for them, but I am sure you can use any silicone based treatment and it should solve it.

This. I was given some sort of silicone spray (I think it may have been a 3m product) that I sprayed on the seals and all the noises went away.

Ok! Few questions, did you post this exact thread a while back or the LP forum software is going haywire again?

No I just posted this

Have you already traveled 7000 km in you SV ? :shock:

Yes I have already traveled 7000 KM :)

Is your roof carbon or the standard material?

I just got the standard roof

There is a bit of grease/lubricant on the rubber seal which seals the area between the roof panels and the top of the fixed roof support at the back, is it possible that due to cold weather that lubricant was affected and needs to be reapplied?

I haven't checked the roof to see if it needs any grease but that is a good idea

Did you have a chat with the dealer?

I have been too busy driving to take it to the dealer and have them check it out

I've only traveled 700 km in mine so far 95% of those without the roof, while the roof was on I didn't notice any noises, creeks or squeaks. I was actually very impressed the other day while driving over a notoriously bad piece of road when I looked up the roof was solid without any flex or movement.

Sorry to hear about your issues I hope you will resolve it quickly, rattles and squeaks drive me NUTZ!

Thanks for the replies guys. I have not tried anything yet, I will find out what the dealer suggests.

Is there even a possibility that the latch would not close 100%? You would think it was either unlatched or latched.

I drove my buddy's 15 Roadster sometimes, everytime the car going over driveway or anywhere uneven, doesn't matter slow or fast, its always squeaking. I asked him he said it's normal. Driving on road at normal speed is fine tho. I had that problem with my old California hard top as well.

rhyno, it seems like this is an issue.

I'm doing an event with the dealership and they offered me a MY16 roadster for it (LP700, non-SV). When I picked it up this afternoon, it had 6993km on it. By the time it reached the destination, it had exactly 7000km. And guess what, the roof squeaks during that 7km drive. Not very prominent squeaks but enough to announce their presence.

I wouldn't call this "normal" though as that's unacceptable. I will let the service manager know and perhaps he can find a solution for it and then apply that to your roadster as well. Let me know if you need additional info.

Thanks for the reply and information VCR!

If your talking to the service manager then let him know that my car will need his attention so he better find a solution. In my eyes my car squeaks more then it should! I will have my car back in Canada at the end of April and it will have over 10,000km. I think at the same time I will get the Race exhaust!!!!!!

Thanks for the reply and information VCR!

If your talking to the service manager then let him know that my car will need his attention so he better find a solution. In my eyes my car squeaks more then it should! I will have my car back in Canada at the end of April and it will have over 10,000km. I think at the same time I will get the Race exhaust!!!!!!

You are welcome!

I'll let the service manager know on Monday. He drove the car right before handing it over to me so he should notice the squeaks too. I'll inform him about your SV-r, its ETA and expected mileage. I'll see if I can find out the latest info. on the race exhaust too.

• 2 weeks later...
This is a question for all the Roadster owners. When I first got my car the roof made no noise, now with 7,000km of use the roof squeaks and rattles. It sounds the worst when from end lift is up and going over speed bumps or into driveways. Has there been any kind of recall for the roof and how much squeak is too much? Let me hear your opinions!

There is an additional problem when you store roof in trunk it gets damaged on the corner because of a protruding plastic piece at bottom of trunk that holds roof. It is a design problem that plagued all A roadsters including SV. I use a soft towel to cushion it. Ridiculous for such an expensive car!!

So if I were you, I would complain directly to the factory as it is the only way u may get some response. May!.

I found them very lazy or negligent to act on anything and prefer to ignore especially when all cars are sold! But more complaints from owners may yield something - I hope! Otherwise the only other way the factory reacts is when they are publically exposed in the media -but that would be a last resort!

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has recently started rattling and squeaking. Its f......g annoying and the mechanic finds it hard to fix . Definitely another design problem that the factory must address but I bet you they never will as usual... Unless we owners kick up a fuss about it with the factory which I have already done.

• 2 months later...

My dealer replaced all the seals and tightened up the latches. My roadster does not squeak anymore but my dealer did say that this fix is just temporary and the noise will come back. It's only a matter of time.

I have 12,000km at the time of the warranty work and will report back when the noise starts again

My dealer replaced all the seals and tightened up the latches. My roadster does not squeak anymore but my dealer did say that this fix is just temporary and the noise will come back. It's only a matter of time.

I have 12,000km at the time of the warranty work and will report back when the noise starts again

I've got the same problem. I'm getting a new roof.

did he replace seals on the car above windscreen you mean (not actual roof) or what exactly? It is driving me crazy especially since my other Av Roadster does not squeak at all after 7000 Km. Mechanic finds it hard to pin problem.

MY SV R squeaks after 2000 Km!!

NOt acceptable if problem will come back.

Gummi Pflege.... German company, Gummi is the brand name and is a superior rubber seal lubricant.

Else, use a generic di-electric grease.

Other comments in this thread seem applicable...tightening bracketry, protecting the roof corners when stored and lubrication.

So seems we have a maintenance item. Seal replacement would be the last step IMO.

Good luck.

This is all great info! That's why I love this place!

I driven my 2014 Av Roadster to about 4500 miles and never had an issue with my roof panels.

With my SV Roadster, I hope I don't get those issues!

The "standard" roof panels are also carbon BTW, just not exposed.

It would irritate the shit out of me if my roof panel rattles! I'm glad you've got it resolved for now Rhyno!

• 4 weeks later...
I had my seals replaced at 12,000km and I now have 15,000km and the roof is squeak free!

When you say seals do u mean the seals on the windscreen frame or the roof ?

I'm not a techno so I need to explain that to mechanic to do it thanks

It's annoying hell out of me that noise

When you say seals do u mean the seals on the windscreen frame or the roof ?

I'm not a techno so I need to explain that to mechanic to do it thanks

It's annoying hell out of me that noise

I'm not sure exactly what they did but my car squeaked with or without the roof on before, now it's perfect. It was fixed under warranty and is a know issue at the factory