Any ebay sellers here?

Roman

Need some help with the nuts and bolts of running a small ebay business...

Big question is on fees and shipping... I have a LOT of high value stuff... some of it is heavy.

Yes... Its come to this... :crybaby2:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need some help with the nuts and bolts of running a small ebay business...

Big question is on fees and shipping... I have a LOT of high value stuff... some of it is heavy.

Yes... Its come to this... :crybaby2:

It is about 15% top to bottom with ebay seller fees and paypal. It is expensive and a very lopsided equation. The buyer is the only entity that eBay cares about. I sell a fair bit of stuff there, but I am by no means a power seller or anything. If no one has further info, I know a couple guys that may be able to talk with you about it a little bit more if you need.

I don't know if he is a member here anymore, but Gil (the watch guy from New York, Watch Collector I think?), he is a big time seller on eBay. His number is listed in his ads with express instruction to reach out to him before hand to speak about terms of sale, which is just a way for him to use eBay as a marketing vehicle and sidestep the TOU of eBay and sell outside the site.

I have been selling on ebay for 16 years PM me with any questions

I think eBay is a great place to move merchandise that you may have difficulty selling in other venues or don't want to auction. I have sold several high end timepieces and art through eBay. Jewelry stores are not interested in your jewelry/watches and offer nothing. Art is difficult to move or find the right buyer, and sacrificing auction fees for minimal auction house work is just foolish. Shipping and packing, with proper insurance is not difficult. If things are too heavy, list them as pickup only. I have had to construct crates for some pieces to ship, but that is also not too difficult. Sign up and try listing a few simple items and see how it goes. You can always hire someone to do the work for you, but then you are just paying more fees for something that is really not that hard. You can limit the bidder field and take other actions, so you only have qualified bidders bidding on your items as well. Just have fun with it.

I use it as a place for free advertisement and as a byproduct I get a decent amount of sales through it. Overall cost with ebay/PayPal is close to 15%, so factor that in. Make sure you cover your basis on shipping fees, use the price calculators online to help give you an idea of a cost. USPS is awful for international and UPS/FedEx are quite expensive for international, but quick. I generally use flat rate boxes (FedEx & USPS) as it's easier for me to get a general idea of how much shipping charges are. The international shipping program is nice too, very easy for the seller.

List your items with specificity and take detailed pictures. There will be people trying to scam you, get shit for free, etc. you need to have good documentation to stand a chance against them when they make an eBay claim.

If you're shipping big, open a FedEx business account for some significant discounts. USPS discounts are good through eBay.

Have you looked into DHL for international shipping?

Have you looked into DHL for international shipping?

They are very good and reasonable rates, just have to find a pick up location for them. I should have included them in my post.

By the time you're done with Ebay fees and Paypal fees, its 11-15% like mentioned above ofcourse that depends on what you're selling also listing fees as well. That's without shipping.

By the time you're done with Ebay fees and Paypal fees, its 11-15% like mentioned above ofcourse that depends on what you're selling also listing fees as well. That's without shipping.

Like others have said Double (Howard) is an EBay master with his business.

That being said, I am a TRS (Top Rated Seller) myself and have been selling on there for 17 years. I have ran it as a side gig for many years. PM me any time with questions.

Used eBay and PayPal for over 15 years. Ill be honest, I recently closed my account. I used it quite a bit, but over time, their policy changed for the worse as a seller. I was got tired of their fcuking shit and absolute lack of protection as a seller, so I closed my account.

Ill never go back to buy or sell. When I decided I was done, it took 3 fcuking months to close my account. Such a pain in the ass. I would rather put a glass tube in my urethra and smash it with a hammer.

Used eBay and PayPal for over 15 years. Ill be honest, I recently closed my account. I used it quite a bit, but over time, their policy changed for the worse as a seller. I was got tired of their fcuking shit and absolute lack of protection as a seller, so I closed my account.

Ill never go back to buy or sell. When I decided I was done, it took 3 fcuking months to close my account. Such a pain in the ass. I would rather put a glass tube in my urethra and smash it with a hammer.

Same here. Used to sell tons on eBay. Kept getting ripped off. Buyers always found new ways to scam sellers. eBay only protects the buyer and it's like double taxation using them. However, it's still.the best out there imo. I've tried Amazon and it was worse. Best to follow all the rules using eBay and be smart about costs. And I always used USPS for shipping. Always worked out well for me.

Might be wise to set up your own online store and use eBay to advertise

Wow... MUCH bigger response than I ever expected.

A bunch have already reached out and given me great info.

So heres the deal... My dad died last year... And his entire life he collected Lionel model trains. He always tried to get me into it, but it just never clicked with me... So anyways... I have a one car garage FILLED with moving type boxes, filled with model train stuff dating all the way back to the 1940s.

I went to a local "train show" yesterday to talk to people in the business about taking it off my hands and as I'm walking around I keep saying to myself "oh... I remember THAT thing... How much? $350. $200, $1000," etc etc etc I HAVE 78 fcuking moving boxes full of this stuff and it occurred to me, I have enough inventory to be my own mother fcuking toy train store. I have the best collection in the room- I should have my own booth!!!!

So... Thats it... Im starting "fcuk you in the caboose -trains" on ebay.

How do I minimize fees...

How do I set opening prices/BIN/reserves so they sell but not get hosed?

How do I set shipping prices?

What dont I know that I dont know, I dont know?

Same here. Used to sell tons on eBay. Kept getting ripped off. Buyers always found new ways to scam sellers. eBay only protects the buyer and it's like double taxation using them. However, it's still.the best out there imo. I've tried Amazon and it was worse. Best to follow all the rules using eBay and be smart about costs. And I always used USPS for shipping. Always worked out well for me.

Might be wise to set up your own online store and use eBay to advertise

How do I do that?

How do I avoid a scam?

So... Thats it... Im starting "fcuk you in the caboose -trains" on ebay.

what about:

train owners take it in the caboose

ride that train

runatrain

money train

training day

To avoid scams, you want to make sure to keep your paper trail.

First, be sure to read ebay's seller protection policy. Use paypal only. Ship through USPS and buy your shippinh label through payal, get the insurance. I go above and also opt for signature confirmation. Be sure to keep a copy of everything, so if any claims are opened against you, you can provide proof of shipment and delivery. Your shipent through paypal will include insurance for free up to a certain amount. I think its $50-$100 Only ship to confirmed addresses. These are addresses paypal verifies through bank account deposits. This is another requirement from ebay to be eligible for their seller protection policy. Once the buyer pays, their address will show up and being confirmed through paypal. Throw in a policy in your item desctiption saying you will not ship to non-confirmed addresses. You can then refund the money and relist with no negative affect.

Now, you can risk it and take the initial free insurance claim for $50-100 and not buy extra insurance. Up to you. The label saying insured and requiring a signature confirmation migh be enough to deter someone from pulling a fast one. As long as you have your proof of shipment and delivery, I don't see a risk in doing this.

Be sure to be very detailed in your listing. Use good pictures, provide a good description, decide wether you want to offer a return policy or not.

Paypal charges 3% +.30 for the item sale. Ebay takes 8% of the first $50 plus 5% of the remaining balance. So, factor this into the equation.

This was your fathers collection, and I don't know where the fcuk to start with train values. I would look at the values and then list each item for a 30 day duration, good until canclled. I always start my listings high with the asking price also offer a "best offer" option, along with free shipping. Figure out what your item is worth, then add on the shipping cost (insurance, signature confirmation, packing supplies) and ebay and paypal fees. This is generally the price you should sell it no less for.

Ebay is free to insert and relist, so don't be afraid to hold out and drag on your listings until you get the price you want.

Ebay should be a very good marketplace for what you are trying to sell.

In the meantime, find some train forums and advertise yourself on there. Meaning, as a member, get settled into the community and then mention what you have, and advertise your ebay auction. Better act fast before this community dies off :D. Hell, they might not even have internet.

As far as shipping, I've always found USPS the best and cheapest. You also will get a discount buying your shipping label through paypal after the sale. I like to use the USPS flat rate boxes. USPS also provided most shipping supplies for free, which is a plus.

Another way to go about it is to buy cheap, bulk shipping supplies. Figure out the dimesions you will need for most items. Go very cheap on the boxes, hit up a dollar store, and you can send the packages using media mail/the slowest option and then be able to more affordably protect yourself because you went cheap on the shipment cost but went expensive on the insurance costs.

Basically, to protect yourself, just follow ebay's seller protection policy to a T. :D

Depending on how many items you think you might list, it might also be beneficial to look into opening an ebay store. You can save on fees this way, but you gotta figure out the costs and if it will beneficial for you.

Be sure to set up that ebay account and paypal account asap. The quicker the better.

Goodluck :D!

RATOY-TRAINS :D

To avoid scams, you want to make sure to keep your paper trail.

First, be sure to read ebay's seller protection policy. Use paypal only. Ship through USPS and buy your shippinh label through payal, get the insurance. I go above and also opt for signature confirmation. Be sure to keep a copy of everything, so if any claims are opened against you, you can provide proof of shipment and delivery. Your shipent through paypal will include insurance for free up to a certain amount. I think its $50-$100 Only ship to confirmed addresses. These are addresses paypal verifies through bank account deposits. This is another requirement from ebay to be eligible for their seller protection policy. Once the buyer pays, their address will show up and being confirmed through paypal. Throw in a policy in your item desctiption saying you will not ship to non-confirmed addresses. You can then refund the money and relist with no negative affect.

Now, you can risk it and take the initial free insurance claim for $50-100 and not buy extra insurance. Up to you. The label saying insured and requiring a signature confirmation migh be enough to deter someone from pulling a fast one. As long as you have your proof of shipment and delivery, I don't see a risk in doing this.

Be sure to be very detailed in your listing. Use good pictures, provide a good description, decide wether you want to offer a return policy or not.

Paypal charges 3% +.30 for the item sale. Ebay takes 8% of the first $50 plus 5% of the remaining balance. So, factor this into the equation.

This was your fathers collection, and I don't know where the fcuk to start with train values. I would look at the values and then list each item for a 30 day duration, good until canclled. I always start my listings high with the asking price also offer a "best offer" option, along with free shipping. Figure out what your item is worth, then add on the shipping cost (insurance, signature confirmation, packing supplies) and ebay and paypal fees. This is generally the price you should sell it no less for.

Ebay is free to insert and relist, so don't be afraid to hold out and drag on your listings until you get the price you want.

Ebay should be a very good marketplace for what you are trying to sell.

In the meantime, find some train forums and advertise yourself on there. Meaning, as a member, get settled into the community and then mention what you have, and advertise your ebay auction. Better act fast before this community dies off :D. Hell, they might not even have internet.

As far as shipping, I've always found USPS the best and cheapest. You also will get a discount buying your shipping label through paypal after the sale. I like to use the USPS flat rate boxes. USPS also provided most shipping supplies for free, which is a plus.

Another way to go about it is to buy cheap, bulk shipping supplies. Figure out the dimesions you will need for most items. Go very cheap on the boxes, hit up a dollar store, and you can send the packages using media mail/the slowest option and then be able to more affordably protect yourself because you went cheap on the shipment cost but went expensive on the insurance costs.

Basically, to protect yourself, just follow ebay's seller protection policy to a T. :D

Depending on how many items you think you might list, it might also be beneficial to look into opening an ebay store. You can save on fees this way, but you gotta figure out the costs and if it will beneficial for you.

Be sure to set up that ebay account and paypal account asap. The quicker the better.

Goodluck :D!

RATOY-TRAINS :D

Great response/advice.

To piggy-back on what others have said, the biggest issue with EBay nowadays is that it is 100% pro-buyer. When a seller gets screwed, it is very hard to get justice as both EBay and Paypal will usually side with the buyer. Selling collectible items under $1000, your biggest issues as far as scams go will be people requesting a return, then swapping out their old crap for your (nicer condition) crap, stealing/swapping parts, etc. Unfortunately, that sort of stuff is hard to prove as it is a he-said/she-said type argument in EBay's eyes (and like I said, they will always side with the buyer first). I know some sellers that have resorted to filming themselves boxing things up for shipment, opening returns, etc, but even that isn't a fail-safe. Scammers that have knowledge of the system are just very difficult to fight on that platform. As you are an Attorney, I have no doubt that you spent plenty of time in your career fighting liars and knowing that you can go toe-to-toe with them. Fighting liars on EBay however is a whole different ball game. And it can be infuriating.

The overall selling fees vary depending on whether you are a TRS (Top Rated Seller), own a store-front, etc, but the 13-15% that was quoted is going to be a very close estimate in terms of your "off-the-top" fees for doing business.

Speaking of returns, you basically have no choice but to offer a return-policy nowadays. Trust me when I say that if a customer is unhappy and wants their money back, they will get it. They have several methods of doing so including 1 - Requesting a return through EBay, 2 - Requesting a refund through paypal, 3- Filing a charge-back through their credit card company. Save yourself a headache and just offer a reasonable policy up front. The most infuriating part of returns is when a customer gets buyers remorse and decides they don't want something, instead of sucking it up and paying for the return shipping back, they will claim an INAD (Item not as described) or that the item is defective and open a case, thereby EBay will force you to pay the return shipping. Frustrating but as most TRS's will tell you, just a part of doing business on there now.

I sell way more on Amazon now then I do on EBay, but for used collectible items Ebay is still by far the best platform to use. Depending on how much time you want to invest in this venture, you can also look at putting some items into "Lots" rather than selling all individually (you'll get less for them of course, but can save time/effort). Again, just depends on how much time you're looking to spend on it.

You know how to reach me if you need me buddy!