The Aventador is so unreliable

SiamBeast

So I bought this 2012 Aventador 5 months ago, only 4,900 km on the counter. So far:

Month 1: After 3 days idle, car refuses to start - battery problem. We get a brand new battery in place, it now works. Took a week.

Month 2: I try to start the car after a night out... hear the initial sound, then the "vroom" sound, then the RPM goes back to 0 and the check engine light appears. The car starts after the 3rd time.

Month 3: Same problem, but this time, the engine stopped when I was backing into a parking space. I got the car towed by security measure, paid $2,000 in repairs, and they guaranteed the problem would go away.

Month 3: A week later, I'm driving forward into a parking space. As I slowly move forward following the security guard's motions, the engine stops again. It stopped when I was completely in the parking so I didn't have to start it again, but still, it shouldn't be doing that.

Month 4: I take the car to a nice bar downtown. At the end of the evening, the car, parked right in front of the terrace with everyone looking, just plain refuses to start. One time I just hear the initial sound with no "vroom", second time I get the Vroom but RPM goes to 0. Third time, engine starts, but as soon as I put it in gear, it stops. The next 40 tries were a combination of the above. I left the bar with the car on a towing, under the laughs of everyone at the place.

Month 4: Two weeks later, I stop the car at a police checkpoint, shut off the engine, and blow in the breathalyzer. I am under the limit, so I start the engine again, this time it starts on the first try but I get a "rear wing defective" message on the dash.

Yesterday: I was driving in Bangkok traffic, and I was stopped around 15 minutes at a red light, with the car on Neutral, on Strada mode. The engine just decided to shut down by itself, with "Low Voltage, Check Power Supply" message. I try to start the engine again, I just hear the initial sound, no vroom. The traffic starts moving and I have to put my emergency lights on. I start a second time, I hear the "vroom" but the RPM goes back to 0. Third time, it starts. I put it in gear, drive around 10 metres, and it shuts down again. I manage to start the engine and pull in a parking where I called the towing, who towed the car to the garage for free out of sympathy.

Now I'm still waiting on the mechanics to find the problem. So far, they're saying that it's because the car didn't have enough gas, but I was on the line where the red part starts - shouldn't be a problem, so I cannot believe them.

If anyone from Lamborghini sees this, it is unacceptable for a $900,000 car to be unreliable like that, please get your shit together.

My wife's sister offered to trade my Lambo against her Honda Civic, which she claims starts everytime.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very sorry to hear about your problems, it certainly sucks, I hope they will be able to fix it for you, it sounds like an electrical or electronic component fault.

My SV threw all sorts of codes and had all sorts of issues after the batterie got discharged from lack of driving, the dealer had to reset it, now it's working perfectly.

If you want an exotic which is more reliable then your sister's in law Honda Civic buy a Huracan.

I am very sorry to hear about your problems, it certainly sucks, I hope they will be able to fix it for you, it sounds like an electrical or electronic component fault.

My SV threw all sorts of codes and had all sorts of issues after the batterie got discharged from lack of driving, the dealer had to reset it, now it's working perfectly.

If you want an exotic which is more reliable then your sister's in law Honda Civic buy a Huracan.

I actually find the Huracan not so pretty - the fact that it doesn't have the scissor doors kinds of turns me off.

Very sorry to read of your experiences.

Wow - 15 minutes for a red light?? That's a LONG time to wait. I know of some people who would explode if they had to wait that long!!

Good luck - hope you can get it resolved and go back to enjoying the car.

Sounds like a low voltage problem. Maybe the alternator or the connection to it? Seems everything youre talking about it electrical. That would be where I would start. Also, make sure you keep the car on a battery tender when it is parked at home. Flat batteries will kill these cars, so keeping them going electrically is very important.

Sounds like a low voltage problem. Maybe the alternator or the connection to it? Seems everything youre talking about it electrical. That would be where I would start. Also, make sure you keep the car on a battery tender when it is parked at home. Flat batteries will kill these cars, so keeping them going electrically is very important.

I'll plug the GoPro on the dash and go for a ride in the city tonight - if the problem comes back, I'll post the video. The mechanic didn't seem to find the problem.

15 minutes at a red light is pretty common in morning traffic - I normally take my motorcycle to zip through the traffic at that time, but I wanted to bring the lambo because I got it back after a week at the garage. Which turned out to be a bad idea. Morning traffic is terrible, but in the evening, there are many expressways where we can safely drive over 200.

Just came back from 3 consecutive hours of driving in the city with a bit of traffic. I wanted to mostly check how the car behaves with frequent stop & gos. It didn't stall or refuse to start because I had my GoPro - if I hadn't brought my camera to record it, it would have misbehaved.

However, I came back with a check engine light on. Back to the garage tomorrow.

I'll plug the GoPro on the dash and go for a ride in the city tonight - if the problem comes back, I'll post the video. The mechanic didn't seem to find the problem.

15 minutes at a red light is pretty common in morning traffic - I normally take my motorcycle to zip through the traffic at that time, but I wanted to bring the lambo because I got it back after a week at the garage. Which turned out to be a bad idea. Morning traffic is terrible, but in the evening, there are many expressways where we can safely drive over 200.

is that kmh or mph?

Either of those would be illegal in the states.

Hope they figure everything out so you can finally enjoy your beast.

is that kmh or mph?

Either of those would be illegal in the states.

Hope they figure everything out so you can finally enjoy your beast.

km/h - but here the traffic laws are merely a book of suggestions.

I hope so, I'll drive the car to the garage tomorrow and see what they come up with.

Also, make sure you keep the car on a battery tender when it is parked at home.

Doesn't everyone do this?

There's a point in the front for easy connection.

No excuse not to do it.

I see three possibilities...

A. The mechanics working on your car don't know what the hell they are doing.

B. The mechanics working on your car are milking you for money.

C. Both A and B.

Yea I agree with the above , get better mechanics .

But I am sorry to hear all your problems . I bought my 2015 Aventador almost 2 years ago and have put 12,000k hard k on it and it's been problem free for me so far.

I love the car and I would say it's far more reliable as a platform then the old Gs or murci's were.

Are you getting your car serviced at a Lamborghini dealership?

2012 Aventadors are the oldest Aventadors out there, low mileage or not. The 2012 (2011 MY) have been know for their problems and if your particular car haven't had ANY factory recommended updates or recall campaigns, you'll continue to have issues.

I truly hope you're bring your car to an official Lamborghini of Bankok dealership.

Welcome to Lambopower!

Are you getting your car serviced at a Lamborghini dealership?

2012 Aventadors are the oldest Aventadors out there, low mileage or not. The 2012 (2011 MY) have been know for their problems and if your particular car haven't had ANY factory recommended updates or recall campaigns, you'll continue to have issues.

I truly hope you're bring your car to an official Lamborghini of Bankok dealership.

Welcome to Lambopower!

The only Lamborghini dealership in Thailand has been raided by the DSI for tax evasion, so I have to resort to small garages. The car importer is on bail now.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dsi-raids...xury-supercars/

The same company was responsible for Lambo, Ferrari, Lotus, Pagani, and McLaren imports - all the owners, including me, are without a dealership now.

--

I drove the car to the garage this morning without any problems. The scanner indicated EVAP system fault (I saw the scanner). The guy said that it was not urgent for now and said that it had nothing to do with the car stalling. He just cleared the codes, and didn't me charge anything. I left the garage with my car 30 mins later.

I am no expert but I think I am starting to have a clue where the issue comes from. As I was driving back, I hit a heavy traffic jam. It was around 30 minutes of stop & go and changing between N and 1 repeatedly. In the middle lane, the car decided to stop again. I put on the emergency lights on, and attempt to restart the engine - which trolls me with the "vroom" and going back to 0 RPM. After 8 tries, it just won't start. Someone helped me push the car into a safe place.

Here's a picture of the dashboard in which we can see:

- The car indicates an outside temperature of 46.0 C, which is a very hot temperature even for Bangkok

- The engine temperature is VERY high - in the red. Never happened in the evening though.

- The air conditioning was set to maximum, and still didn't cut it because of the hot weather

- I lifted the engine hood and felt the heat, so the gauge is probably right

I guess:

- Doing stop & go in the traffic for half an hour under a 46C temperature is probably overheating the engine

- Setting the air conditioning to max does probably the same effect

- The engine shutdown is probably a safety measure to prevent damage in case of excessive heat

One weird thing: When I was attempting to restart the engine after the first failure, the temperature gauge was jumping between the middle point and the red zone. No soft motion, just a "warp" motion. I also saw two different error messages appear on the dash during my 8 attempts to restart the car:

- ESC / ABS fault

- Rear wing defective (the wing was up)

- The speaker saying "low voltage, check power supply", although I'm pretty sure it came from my laser jammer's speaker

My hypothesis is that something is overheating the engine. I'll have it checked at a different place on Monday.

1497688535114.jpg

Unfortunately aventadors tend to do that . If u r unlucky and not have extended warranty the cost will be enormous. I had almost every part connected with starting changed in my first aventador but under warranty and it finally was ok .. welcome to Lamborghini reliability

As a senior exec at Lambo used to say : ' it's not a Toyota '

But get it all recorded on GoPro and send it to authorised mechanic or factory

Unfortunately aventadors tend to do that . If u r unlucky and not have extended warranty the cost will be enormous. I had almost every part connected with starting changed in my first aventador but under warranty and it finally was ok .. welcome to Lamborghini reliability

As a senior exec at Lambo used to say : ' it's not a Toyota '

But get it all recorded on GoPro and send it to authorised mechanic or factory

Someone in the thread mentioned a bad ground - the battery is acting like it's flat, which is very weird because it's was changed for a brand new one 2 months ago.

I plug in my battery tender - the positive pole on the charging + pole in the bay at the back, and the negative pole on the metallic hinge of the engine bay, and it doesn't seem to even acknowledge that there is a battery. Power is now totally flat in the car and not even a light will go on.

Tomorrow I have another mechanic coming to take a look at it.

The only Lamborghini dealership in Thailand has been raided by the DSI for tax evasion, so I have to resort to small garages. The car importer is on bail now.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dsi-raids...xury-supercars/

The same company was responsible for Lambo, Ferrari, Lotus, Pagani, and McLaren imports - all the owners, including me, are without a dealership now.

--

I drove the car to the garage this morning without any problems. The scanner indicated EVAP system fault (I saw the scanner). The guy said that it was not urgent for now and said that it had nothing to do with the car stalling. He just cleared the codes, and didn't me charge anything. I left the garage with my car 30 mins later.

I am no expert but I think I am starting to have a clue where the issue comes from. As I was driving back, I hit a heavy traffic jam. It was around 30 minutes of stop & go and changing between N and 1 repeatedly. In the middle lane, the car decided to stop again. I put on the emergency lights on, and attempt to restart the engine - which trolls me with the "vroom" and going back to 0 RPM. After 8 tries, it just won't start. Someone helped me push the car into a safe place.

Here's a picture of the dashboard in which we can see:

- The car indicates an outside temperature of 46.0 C, which is a very hot temperature even for Bangkok

- The engine temperature is VERY high - in the red. Never happened in the evening though.

- The air conditioning was set to maximum, and still didn't cut it because of the hot weather

- I lifted the engine hood and felt the heat, so the gauge is probably right

I guess:

- Doing stop & go in the traffic for half an hour under a 46C temperature is probably overheating the engine

- Setting the air conditioning to max does probably the same effect

- The engine shutdown is probably a safety measure to prevent damage in case of excessive heat

One weird thing: When I was attempting to restart the engine after the first failure, the temperature gauge was jumping between the middle point and the red zone. No soft motion, just a "warp" motion. I also saw two different error messages appear on the dash during my 8 attempts to restart the car:

- ESC / ABS fault

- Rear wing defective (the wing was up)

- The speaker saying "low voltage, check power supply", although I'm pretty sure it came from my laser jammer's speaker

My hypothesis is that something is overheating the engine. I'll have it checked at a different place on Monday.

post-220628-1497688838_thumb.jpg

There was a update to replace both coolers on my 2013 Roadster that may have applied to your 12 also. All covered by Warranty. Apparently the original coolers were too small

and there were overheating issues.

There was a update to replace both coolers on my 2013 Roadster that may have applied to your 12 also. All covered by Warranty. Apparently the original coolers were too small

and there were overheating issues.

I'll ask tomorrow when the garage opens.

Meanwhile, yesterday evening I plugged in a ctek battery charger on the car. This morning, it was still stuck at step 2 and wouldn't go further. The battery charger was hot as hell.

The car wouldn't even attempt to start.

Attempt #1: "ESC / ABS failure"

Attempt #2: "Low voltage"

Attempt #3: "Brake failure"

Attempt #4: "Gearbox failure, limit performance"

Attempt #5: "Rear wing defective"

Attempt #6: Nothing at all

Attempt #7: Low voltage again

Attempt #8: "Parking brake malfunction"

Attempt #9: Nothing at all

The towing guy said he remembers that car and he towed it before. Also a very bad sign. I am in the process of suing the seller, although I'm not expecting much out of it due to the current situation with the import fraud.

My 2016 roadster had the same problem before . the car just get shut off or won't start . sometimes the car start and rev the rpm and it die unless i keep rev the car for few second to keep the rpm up. i took the car to dealer and they told me it's the EVAP system issue and they fix it ... the problem go away after the dealer fix the EVAP system issue.

My 2016 roadster had the same problem before . the car just get shut off or won't start . sometimes the car start and rev the rpm and it die unless i keep rev the car for few second to keep the rpm up. i took the car to dealer and they told me it's the EVAP system issue and they fix it ... the problem go away after the dealer fix the EVAP system issue.

I had the EVAP error code show up once, but they cleared it. Now my ctek charger recognizes the battery but is stuck at step #2. Been like that for 24 hrs... tomorrow morning the towing is picking up the car.

I am loyal to the core to Lambo. 4 Avedntadors and every 2500 to 3000 miles or every 5 weeks. I am towed ... just saying. its a fact of life for me. I cary black tape so I don't see the freaking engine lights on all the time. In the first 100,000 miles between the my two first aventadors I was towed or serviced a minimum of 30 times. every 3k miles.

Day before goldrush ... (mid may) I was serviced... my car is in shop for 5 days now. again (2500 miles later and 4-5 weeks later.

Most people who drive them put 5k miles on em and sell them. they had maybe one problem. my last SV had 20k or more and was serviced 7 times and my current is same same

I love how I am treated and I'm dealing with it.

I love the cars and am 100% loyal

I "over-service" telling the shop... while its there do anything preventative each time...

My bently is actually the same... every 3k there is a bowel shaking fuking nightmare

I lease a Honda for my mom and every three years she returns it with 30k miles on it ... never an oil change never a service... never once a problem,

But I get naked chicks all over my lambo on a regular... I never get that on my moms Honda.. and I wont rally gumball3000 in any car but an aventador.

I am loyal

hot sexy exotic cars and hot sexy women are high maintenance and expensive to keep... I embrace it like a baller. If it was not this way.... everyone would have one or more of each.

It,s possible for your stalling issue it could be your carbon canister is full and needs replacing,if you take it to the dealer ,have them carry out recall campaign L73X-R-0117.Your car being a MY12 under this recall campaign would be upgraded with the following:

EVAP system(Robustness pack)

Purge valves

Fuel cap

After which your Engine ,Gearbox & Instrument software will be upgraded to work together with these new hardware.

This should solve your engine stalling issue when driving in traffic jam in hot weather.

Another possibility for your engine to cut out could be an issue with your complete engine wiring harness,this issue with wiring harnesses mainly is an issue in hot climate countries such as Bangkok.The problem with wiring harnesses is the connection issue with the main plug of the harness going to your engine ecu located in the RH rear wheel arch area.This wiring harness issue is very common in hot climate countries.

I think you may also have an issue with battery current drain on your car.

As for your temperature u need to check with your engine running if both LH & RH radiator fans are running,possibility with Aventadors sometimes a small pebble or stone is stuck in between the fan & the fan shroud,you should also get the dealer to carry out service campaign

L83X-A-0714 Coolers and air ducts replacement ,this replaces both radiators and new versions of air shrouds.

Most of the other fault codes which appear when you are just starting up your car is most probably mainly caused by low battery voltage during the cranking phase ,once your battery/current drain issue is fixed this should not appear while initial starting provide those systems are trouble free.

Best of luck with your car,let me know if you need any more info.BR.