Substituting an R8 for a Gallardo

StoleIt

Since finding the perfect Gallardo seems to be rather difficult these days (and mostly because I have such a specific color/transmission set up in mind). To the people that have owned both the G and an R8...pros/cons?

I know that they are "basically" identical cars but anything I should know about?

I almost like the interior better on the R8 than on the Gallardo and, obviously, the exterior is completely personality dependent. Another plus, is I have an Audi dealership that services R8's near me (they wont touch Gallardo's for some reason).

They are built with the same ingredients but they aren't the same cars if that makes sense, the R8 is softer in pretty much every iteration, test drive them back to back and you will see what I mean, I am an Audi fan but I've never really been a fan of the R8, it's a great car but it isn't an exotic, to me it's a 911 alternative.

the R8, it's a great car but it isn't an exotic.

That pretty well nails it for a quick summary. It's a superb alternate DD, albeit a pricey one, but it's not even close to being an exotic. Wow factor from the public is significantly down as well.

Not sure if this analogy helps but imagine a Tudor (R8) compared to a Rolex (G).

I just bought an R8 in January as I wanted a car that I can drive year round (even in the snow and up to the ski hill). I will be putting lots of miles on it and its way more comfy then a Gallardo! It just depends what you want. I have my straight piped Diablo roadster when I want to drive an exotic

I thought about these too since you can find newer and a manual fairly easy for similar money. And I think you'd like it until you happen to be next to a Gallardo in it. I'd keep looking! Honestly, I'd consider an egear that has everything else you want and then in a year or two, do a manual conversion

Thanks for the input.

Yea Chipster that's basically my exact reasoning. I was thinking it could get basically an LP Gallardo in manual for the price of a pre LP car.

Wait it out for a Gallardo. But also depends how much you will drive the car. R8 is more DD worthy and boring in that sense. Lambo is an event each and every time.

R8 is basically a much more comfortable and more understated looking Lambo. Same mechanicals with a much less aggressive (but still elegant and very sporty) exterior. Having had two Gallardos, the "event" aspect of having everyone else on the road freak out gets old very quickly IMO and becomes annoying, and I know for sure my lower back likes the R8 a heck of a lot more. The R8 still gets a good bit of attention, but more in line with say a Viper. Plus you can get a '14-'15 R8 with a DCT and still under warranty for under $150k, but it sounds like you're more interested in a manual.

It depends who you are buying it for. If it's for you, it's a 30% off Gallardo with less extreme exterior and much improved interior, including comfort. If it's to show off, it just won't snap the necks a G will. The interior and looks make the R8 much more comfortable to drive around. The G isn't exactly a raw V12 experience either.

The trouble with the R8 is you have to continually tell everyone it's 'just like" a Gallardo.

But nobody really believes it. Including yourself.

The trouble with the R8 is you have to continually tell everyone it's 'just like" a Gallardo.

Seriously?

Having had a lambo, I think it is less appealing to do the R8. Going to the R8 from the Viper, you might love it though. I WOULD consider an R8 for the purpose of finding one fairly cheap and sending it to UGR for turbos though.

• 2 weeks later...
Seriously?

After spending significant time in KMR's gallardos and R8, I could not agree with that statement more. The R8 is a great car. But it just leaves you feeling so unsatisfied when it comes to the experience. It is a Gallardo deep down...but everything is just....muted. And that really takes away from the experience. You become accustomed to the car and the experience too easily. And for me at least, that's usually when you start to get bored....

After spending significant time in KMR's gallardos and R8, I could not agree with that statement more. The R8 is a great car. But it just leaves you feeling so unsatisfied when it comes to the experience. It is a Gallardo deep down...but everything is just....muted. And that really takes away from the experience. You become accustomed to the car and the experience too easily. And for me at least, that's usually when you start to get bored....

I understand that point of view, but it's a double-edged sword, at least for me. After you've been followed by the same person or persons for 20 minutes or more at a time, and followed home multiple times, muted or toned down some can be a good thing.

I have an R8 (V8) and think its a great segue into a Gallardo. It's not the fastest, nor does it have the presence, but it's an enjoyable everyday friendly car with much better creature comforts. If I'm spending $100k on an exotic, I'd much rather spend it on a a Gallardo instead of a R8 V10 just for the "lambo" factor. So I'm now selling my R8 (my R8 for sale thread)to find a 6 speed Gallardo.

It's up to the individual.

I know a few individuals that feel the Gallardo is too flashy for them, but love the drivetrain and hence got R8s.

Money wasn't an issue either.

I understand that point of view, but it's a double-edged sword, at least for me. After you've been followed by the same person or persons for 20 minutes or more at a time, and followed home multiple times, muted or toned down some can be a good thing.

This is a valid point as well. So yeah depends where you live etc as well. Ive rolled home to only find a train of fanboys behind me in the their tricked out cars. Why couldnt it have been a train of hot women in bikinis damn it ha!

Why couldnt it have been a train of hot women in bikinis damn it ha!

Because you would've lost your house and the car along with it :icon_mrgreen:

Because you would've lost your house and the car along with it :icon_mrgreen:

Wise man you are my friend.... though I wasnt married with the first G.

• 6 months later...

Hillarious.

I battle with this decision daily but I just cant get over how ugly ( IMHO ) the R8 is. There is just something about it that I cant stand. I want a gated Gallardo but there is no way in hell I would pay 120+ for a non LP 08 and down.

Hillarious.

I battle with this decision daily but I just cant get over how ugly ( IMHO ) the R8 is. There is just something about it that I cant stand. I want a gated Gallardo but there is no way in hell I would pay 120+ for a non LP 08 and down.

There are a few pre-LP Gallardos for sale for under 120, mine included.

I don't think the R8 looks terrible but the only way I would do one is it it was FI because that would generally be a cheaper route to experiencing the higher power.

• 1 month later...

Friend of mine just got a brand new R8 plus. not only does it sound exactly like my huracan did its just as fast if not faster. Audi IMO screwed themselves on this one cause from a HP and performance perspective its the same car for $90 to 100k less.