991.2 GT3 or 570S

Luxeous

Hey guys - looking to get a new daily driver / 2nd fun car now that we've got two kids as of last Wednesday. :)

I've narrowed it down to two cars I really like right now - the new GT3 (manual) and the 570S.

I haven't gotten a chance to drive the new GT3 yet (working on it) but as a stick with a 9k redline it's pretty much a perfect daily / canyon carver in Malibu. The 570S, which I have driven, is incredible performance at a great price when buying used.

I am 100% new to the Porsche world but from what I understand a key takeaway from the GT cars is how well they maintain their value - I know the RS does even more than the standard GT3 so I just want to make sure that I'm not asking to lose a fortune when buying new compared to a used 570S.

Appreciate your input.

PS. New baby is perfectly healthy and the wife is too. Never thought I could love a second child as much as I do my first but the moment I saw him my heart literally expanded. Absolutely unreal feeling.

Congrats on the healthy baby!

GT3 without question. Beyond being awesome you can essentially drive it for free for the next few years in terms of maintenance, depreciation, etc. You'll likely take a bath on the Mac.

Congrats on the healthy baby!

GT3 without question. Beyond being awesome you can essentially drive it for free for the next few years in terms of maintenance, depreciation, etc. You'll likely take a bath on the Mac.

Thank you! That was my concern with the Mac as well, it's crazy how much they drop. Having a manual in a car like the Gt3 (a car I actually fit well in lol) is the best of both worlds.

Congrats again on the most important addition my good sir :icon_thumleft:

If a manual is a deal-breaker, then you have to go with the Porsche since McLaren doesn't offer it. The 570S is a fun machine, especially the Spyder, but I hates the brakes on that car. The feel is just off...

GT3's are beasts and the 991.2 looks way better than the 991.1. Might be worth slightly waiting for the 991.2 RS announcement to see what that will be like, but as far as daily's go I'd rate the Porsche 1 point above the McLaren in the sense that it's a bit more spacious and has the manual option.

My 2 Cents.

We need to do another cruise again soon :icon_thumleft:

I do not think the 991.2 Gt3 is generating the buzz of the previous model.

Because Porsche is actually doing what they should have done from the get go: Give their customers the car they wanted, a GT3 with a manual. Not a wingless GT3 (911R), not a 911 engine in a manual car (GT4), but an actual current GT3 with a manual. The new 991.2 is more like "It's about damn time" :lol2:

Any discount on the GT3 or expect to order at MSRP? What is availability like on the RS version, is that something I can put a deposit on or do I need to be an existing Porsche customer?

I've never owned a Porsche before but I am intrigued.

Any discount on the GT3 or expect to order at MSRP? What is availability like on the RS version, is that something I can put a deposit on or do I need to be an existing Porsche customer?

GT2RS :eusa_dance:

I also echo people's opinions on choosing the GT3 over the 570S. Porsche has been knocking it out of the park with the 991 generation of 911s (both the .1 & .2) and the .2 GT3s are no exception. I really like the new scoops over the engine on the .2 GT3s too. A family member of mine has a Macan S (I know that isn't very similar to the GT3) and it is a fantastic car. Porsche has also been great with any warranty issues/work that has needed to be done. Resale is another issue altogether, but as others have said, the GT3 will kill the 570S in that department.

I have heard both. I think it really depends on the dealership you are working with. I know they normally reserve the RS versions for their existing customers, but you can put your name on the list even if you aren't an existing customer. Supposedly Porsche is building as many GT2 RSs as people will order, but they will only build them for a year. I am not sure if that is something that interests you or not.

As far as discounts, I don't think there are any on the .2 GT3s. Lots of people/dealers are listing them for over MSRP, but who knows what they are actually selling for.

I have heard both. I think it really depends on the dealership you are working with. I know they normally reserve the RS versions for their existing customers, but you can put your name on the list even if you aren't an existing customer. Supposedly Porsche is building as many GT2 RSs as people will order, but they will only build them for a year. I am not sure if that is something that interests you or not.

As far as discounts, I don't think there are any on the .2 GT3s. Lots of people/dealers are listing them for over MSRP, but who knows what they are actually selling for.

Perfect. I will go try the GT3 at the PEC ( https://www.porschedriving.com/porsche-expe...hParticipants=1 ) and then visit dealer afterwards if I like it and see what my options are.

GT3s are selling over sticker and they are great cars. The RS is more extreme and will be very hard/expensive to get. 2016’s are hovering around sticker now. The gt3 is really refined with all the creature comforts and makes a great daily driver. They are available in 6sp and pdk now.

GT3s are selling over sticker and they are great cars. The RS is more extreme and will be very hard/expensive to get. 2016’s are hovering around sticker now. The gt3 is really refined with all the creature comforts and makes a great daily driver. They are available in 6sp and pdk now.

Yeah I was reading on rennlist, seems it will be impossible to find a GT3 @ sticker.

Yeah my dealer just sold mine and it brought good money, although it was a 6sp too. Sticker is a good year away I think.

Rumor on Reenlist is that GT3 will only be built for 2018, have you heard that or are they just trying to hype pricing? I found one listed a few weeks ago, but not sure if it's still available that I really liked at MSRP + 25k. Does that seem fair?

Trying to figure out my must have options if buying a slightly used or inventory car. I definitely want PDK, PCCB, Bucket Seats, LED Headlights , CF Interior.

Edit: Car I really liked was sold anyways, at least that gives me time to track down an allocation and test drive one before impulse buying.

Because Porsche is actually doing what they should have done from the get go: Give their customers the car they wanted, a GT3 with a manual. Not a wingless GT3 (911R), not a 911 engine in a manual car (GT4), but an actual current GT3 with a manual. The new 991.2 is more like "It's about damn time" :lol2:

I actually disagree with this.

Porsche did exactly what it should do and listened to their customers.

They watched what their cars on the market were doing.

They wanted an exclusive run stripped down basics yet finely packaged car so they delivered in the R.

They have full order books on the gt3.2, the turbo and the Panamera turbo.

When you hear that McLaren are already discounting the 720s and some dealers in the US are discounting the performante you see what a first grade job Porsche have done.

Out of all the brands that get mentioned on this board they are the one that is always on the money.

IMO I don’t think it’s a fair comparison comparing P cars with exotics , Porsches are different kind of in a class of their own, they aren’t like any other sports car, they are multipurpose sports cars the kind no other brand can offer, Porsche is truly a phenomenon.

They have the build volume with an extremely large cult following and they look subdued enough so you can daily them, much larger customer base, try offering 3000 GT cars when you have 100k deposits taken years in advance, of course you will not discount RRP and of course there will be a premium to pay on the used market and residual retention close to RRP for a longer time than usual.

I wouldn’t DD a Lambo they are a PITA and going to a business meeting in a loud bright color Lambo doesn’t convey the right message in most instances LOL but 9 out of 10 you’d be ok in a P car.

The only thing I hate about Porsche is the dealers, I don’t think I’ve ever met more pompous and arrogant bastards in the car retail world, I bought a few P cars and I’d buy more but TBH the dealers annoy me too much LOL.

FWIW I am DD a '17 porsche turbo s and it's the tits. Like Fortis says, multipurpose sports car. I actually prefer the PDK to manual for DD purposes because driving 20 miles each way in traffic is a bitch. Porsche interior is fantastic. I'm almost at 10,000 miles on the porsche. Plus my kids can fit in the back seats, so the wife approves. And she'll ride in this car to go out to dinner, unlike the TT lambo which she found to be too loud/attracted too much attention.

The last 2 cars I experimented with DD were the BMW i8 (interior felt cheap compared to the porsche, and I missed the engine noise, but did like not having to fill up for gas that often and it looked like a spaceship at the time) and for a while I tried to DD the '11 lambo performante spyder (fun if I left really early and could open it up on the freeway, not so fun if I was crawling at 30mph on an elevated highway sucking exhaust fumes).

I don't think I'd DD a stripped down car or go for race seats etc. just because of what my commute is like. I am looking for a weekend gated 6 speed now so I may wander back into Diablo land.

It is amazing how we write off Porsche as being an exotic. For years I did (and clearly others here do to) then for me a visit to the museum in Stuttgart has changed my opinion completely.

If they were a movie character they would be Patrick Bateman: Smooth, stylish and completely unhinged.

Rumor on Reenlist is that GT3 will only be built for 2018, have you heard that or are they just trying to hype pricing? I found one listed a few weeks ago, but not sure if it's still available that I really liked at MSRP + 25k. Does that seem fair?

Trying to figure out my must have options if buying a slightly used or inventory car. I definitely want PDK, PCCB, Bucket Seats, LED Headlights , CF Interior.

Edit: Car I really liked was sold anyways, at least that gives me time to track down an allocation and test drive one before impulse buying.

They will certainly build the GT3 past 2018 but it can not be sold in most of Europe past September due to emissions. That’s why 2018 GT cars are and will continue to be scarce in the US. Until then, much of production is going to satisfy European demand while they still can. GT2RS and 3RS will be even more obvious.

Personally I like pdk, that’s why I sold my manual so fast. PCCB is up to you, definitely not needed. I like the regular seats better for a non-RS and especially a DD but resale is really good on bucket seat cars. It’s probably like the Performante here. You can get dark headlights without getting the expensive LEDs and I also think CF interior is a must.

Personally I like cars without the clock (Sport Chrono) on the dash.

I think 10k over for a pdk car is a good deal today and will depreciate gently.

They will certainly build the GT3 past 2018 but it can not be sold in most of Europe past September due to emissions. That’s why 2018 GT cars are and will continue to be scarce in the US. Until then, much of production is going to satisfy European demand while they still can. GT2RS and 3RS will be even more obvious.

Personally I like pdk, that’s why I sold my manual so fast. PCCB is up to you, definitely not needed. I like the regular seats better for a non-RS and especially a DD but resale is really good on bucket seat cars. It’s probably like the Performante here. You can get dark headlights without getting the expensive LEDs and I also think CF interior is a must.

Personally I like cars without the clock (Sport Chrono) on the dash.

I think 10k over for a pdk car is a good deal today and will depreciate gently.

That makes sense with the scarcity in the US, also seems a lot of cars were bought just to flip.

IMO I don’t think it’s a fair comparison comparing P cars with exotics , Porsches are different kind of in a class of their own, they aren’t like any other sports car, they are multipurpose sports cars the kind no other brand can offer, Porsche is truly a phenomenon.

They have the build volume with an extremely large cult following and they look subdued enough so you can daily them, much larger customer base, try offering 3000 GT cars when you have 100k deposits taken years in advance, of course you will not discount RRP and of course there will be a premium to pay on the used market and residual retention close to RRP for a longer time than usual.

I wouldn’t DD a Lambo they are a PITA and going to a business meeting in a loud bright color Lambo doesn’t convey the right message in most instances LOL but 9 out of 10 you’d be ok in a P car.

The only thing I hate about Porsche is the dealers, I don’t think I’ve ever met more pompous and arrogant bastards in the car retail world, I bought a few P cars and I’d buy more but TBH the dealers annoy me too much LOL.

Porsche are amazing machines, but their designs are always a little too subtle for me (excluding the GT3 RS, GT2 RS, 918, and Carrera GT). That's why I like McLarens, they are like Porsches with more exotic flair. If only they could get their front end deigns locked in though...