Two door four seater options must have HP

Charlie

I am looking for a 2015 to new vehicle (besides a 1969 Camaro resto mod). I unfortunately got T-boned in my Z/28 with 718 whp and the person who hit me got cited and am working with their insurance right now since they are declaring my car a total loss. Car must have:

Two doors

Four seater

High HP

Fun to drive and drift...

My personal options:

2017 ZL1 automatic - be a great car with 650 hp

2018 ZL1 1LE - manual but still a great car...

2015 or newer Nissan GTR - have so many friends that love this car and I talked to a few people that do drift it with a $450 computer add that lets you adjust from rear wheel drive up to AWD which is pretty cool! One option is a 2015 white GTR that is local (AZ car) that SP Engineering did the 650 package on it and added larger turbos. Not sure what it is putting down but local shop doing dyno this week for me.

1969 Camaro Pro Touring and hp...would have to be a unique build that was made to handle track days, etc.

Dodge Demon - not sure on this one but would have this over the Hellcat...and would take a ZL1 over a Hellcat personally bc the ZL1 can handle a road course better.

2015 Z/28 - can still get one but think at this time going to a stock one would not make me happy...

Ford GT350R - not a huge Ford fan but a consideration.

I got to be honest I am leaning to a GTR. I know a lot of you say it is just not a purist car but maybe I just need to drive it for a year and get it out of my system. Or am I just going to be bored to death with the GTR in a matter of months? Opinions please...I do respect all of your input and honesty. Thank you!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote 2017 ZL1. For the money you can't get a better car IMO.

New 10 speed is awesome as well.

GTR is a very close second. FBO w/E85 and it makes for strong car that's super easy to drive.

Have you seen what you can score a new Hellcat for off the lot? Demon has the most cool points but price is unknown, though you shouldn't have a problem finding one for MSRP.

69' camaro that does what you want will be a 6 figure car, kinda put it out of the running IMO.

GT350 is fantastic, worlds better to see out of than the camaro, but it's nowhere near as fast, and will feel dog shit slow compared to what you're coming out of. But damn is it a good drivers car.

I'd seriously drive the camaro with the 10spd, that auto is supposed to be on par with the BMW (ZF) 8 spd, which is about the best automatic man has ever created.

The ZL1 is a great choice. Have you considered the following:

BMW M5

BMW M4

Mercedes C63S AMG

Mustang GT350 (the non-R, since the GT350R has the rear seats taken out)

Those are fun choices and meet the requirements as well. As a BMW guy I can attest to the M cars, and then ones can be modded fairly easily as well, but are very stellar out of the box.

NNNNOOOoooooo!

I loved your bad ass z28.

But a new zl1 is also pretty cool, for the money thats a lot of car.

Trust me I am totally bummed about it! I only had 3k miles on the car too!

Have you seen what you can score a new Hellcat for off the lot? Demon has the most cool points but price is unknown, though you shouldn't have a problem finding one for MSRP.

69' camaro that does what you want will be a 6 figure car, kinda put it out of the running IMO.

GT350 is fantastic, worlds better to see out of than the camaro, but it's nowhere near as fast, and will feel dog shit slow compared to what you're coming out of. But damn is it a good drivers car.

I'd seriously drive the camaro with the 10spd, that auto is supposed to be on par with the BMW (ZF) 8 spd, which is about the best automatic man has ever created.

Great feedback as always! Thank you! I do need to drive the auto10. Friend has the manual and they did a great job with the car! It does "feel" lighter too!

Charlie,

Have you driven a GTR? I did once and immediately knew I would have been bored with it. Compared to the Camaro and your other options, I don't see you liking it for long.

The ZL1 is a great choice. Have you considered the following:

BMW M5

BMW M4

Mercedes C63S AMG

Mustang GT350 (the non-R, since the GT350R has the rear seats taken out)

Those are fun choices and meet the requirements as well. As a BMW guy I can attest to the M cars, and then ones can be modded fairly easily as well, but are very stellar out of the box.

I have a friend that has a worked M5 and I just do not like how it clunks when shifting...I would pull my hair out (M5). I have also been in a stock M5 and same clunk shift - I just could not do it. Car just does not feel fast either for me. No go unfortunately on BMW.

I have considered a C63s. The car is impressive and the ride and interior is awesome...if it only had more hp and was at least 200lb lighter it would be a solid option. I need the car to be in the 0-60 3 second mark or at least under 3.5...

Charlie,

Have you driven a GTR? I did once and immediately knew I would have been bored with it. Compared to the Camaro and your other options, I don't see you liking it for long.

Yes I have and I do like it but will most likely drive it in RWD mode once get that box or whatever you call it installed for the fun of it unless I am racing someone. I have a few options out there that have been tuned with more hp. I have not driven a stock one. It is a tough call man...

New Camaro makes sense, but I personally don't like how they feel. Too low to the ground, poor visibility, interior is so-so. Not too keen on the looks either.

I'd check out a Hellcat. Can probably get a good deal on one, and I like the size of them.

Fun thread, Charlie!

IMHO, if you went the blown route for your Z28, then better off getting a car already supercharged (ZL1, GT500) unless the reason for putting the supercharger was lack of availability for the ZL1 to begin with. I'm not a huge fan of the older ZL1, but totally dig the new one.

The ZL1 with or without 1LE impresses me the most for an all around car in those price categories. About 90% of Hellcat straight line ability, with similar or better road course ability than a Plastic mess-06....what more could you want?

It has everything except that Euro cachet and interior of an AMG or M, but for spirited driving to me I see no peer from either of the Germans save going really high up the food chain with maybe an M4 GTS or an upcoming C63R (and it's still a maybe). The discontinued Benz C63 507 is known for being sporty (and N/A 6.2 V8) and if you are willing to spend some dough, the Black Series is even better. It won Motor Trend Best Driver's Car a few years back and despite having no more HP than an outgoing 507, will lap the Ring about 20 seconds faster, that good are the brakes/suspension/chassis/etc.

GT350R and Z28 are ideal if you are willing to put it on the track or backroads a lot. That new Camaro SS 1LE is very underrated by most reports, and just like the Corvette Gran Sport, more usable non-straight-line fun than the ZL1/Plastic mess-06 respectively. Not so pedestrian looking like the last SS.

You know what's up with Hellcats and Demons. I tend to prefer the pony cars that offer world class handling and braking, but that's isolated 1 on 1. When you factor in having a Lamborghini and maybe some other sports cars, all of this changes. If you already had a Corvette let's say, then the SRT makes more sense to me than adding a Camaro that's somewhat redundant.

I struggle to get into GTRs. Respect the hell out of their capability, but cannot get excited over them visually, aurally or dynamically. At the right price you have to respect the performance, but I believe that price is still too high.

General note on AMG and M - I feel AMG is more hardcore than ever, but since they'll never offer a stickshift it leaves them in a certain niche spot that may or may not apply to certain enthusiasts. BMW IMO is still too much of a one size fits all enthusiast car, with maybe the exception of the 1 and 2 series. If I had to go BMW, I'd consider one of those Dinan S-3R 1Ms or a 1/2 series with an engine swap. Those turbo straight 6s don't wow me like the AMG motors.

Going vintage muscle car is very cool. So many avenues to explore.....I have desires to build a proper big block beast (502, ZZ 572, carbureted) for a pure cruiser. Completely different direction of course, but modern cars with fuel injection just can't replace that aura. :icon_mrgreen:

Always a very difficult choice to make just talking, but get behind the wheel of these cars and the answer will always come. :icon_thumleft:

997.2TT?

Based on your criteria for a car, the Demon might get old quick. But if you're into wheelies and highway pulls, it's the best option. It probably won't slide around real well with 315 drag radials at every corner.

ZL1 should be a beast.

GT350R is an amazing all around car (what M3 should be)

GTR... you can't go wrong

The dealers I have talked to are only getting one allotment and have people lined up to pay over sticker for them.

The dealers I have talked to are only getting one allotment and have people lined up to pay over sticker for them.

Try different dealers.

... or ditch the back seat and get a Viper.

:icon_super:

You can get a nice Gen V for under $80k pretty easily, that will be a hell of a change up.

Not a fan of any of the American muscle cars. Porsche Turbo all the way.

I agree, and it seems there is a hard-on for American Moose-muscle here. Get the ZLjuan or CTS-V coupe. I know you are looking for something you may have totally overlooked or never thought of here.

Bonus points:

Go buy an old Studebaker Hawk, avoid all smog, dump a legit motor in there, and tick all your boxes without the plastic crap in the list above.

Shit, if I were going by your list, I'd say Raptor or an E92 335i with a single turbo and take the lunch money of (many of) the cars you mentioned. Nothing like a 3l i6 sleeper dropping 900whp getting near 25mpg hwy and able to make turns until you drop the hammer. At that point you get more ass-happy than blowing your nfl draft bonus at an atlanta strip club.

Have you considered a 2017 Chevrolet SS, the corvette powered 4 door sedan? LS3 with over 400 stock, throw a blower on it and you'll be 600+ EASY. It's the last year and it comes in a manual for no extra charge!

Have you considered a 2017 Chevrolet SS, the corvette powered 4 door sedan? LS3 with over 400 stock, throw a blower on it and you'll be 600+ EASY. It's the last year and it comes in a manual for no extra charge!

I didn't even know there was a new SS! Ugly looking car, but pretty sweet ride.

My business partner got a gt350 and then threw the supercharger on it. Now it spends 90% of the time in limp mode despite multiple attempts at a tune.