Movie review: ready player one

TestShoot

So we (IMAX) did our 3d screening tonight. It was not a typical Spielberg movie, it was kind of fun, flooded with nostalgic 80s references in a world or VR and the light parodies of our current over connected culture. The movie is about a quest, Goonies and ET where the adults don't get it.

If you see it, the "Shining" inspired sequence was well done.

Enjoyable, maybe for home viewing where you can freeze frame it and see all the Easter eggs.

If you are in a good theater, when "Blue Monday" starts playing, it sounds great. The rest of the 80s music is well timed and even funny.

It's a movie where the 3D was good, but not gimmicky, so see it in 3D or wait for home theater.

8/10

Saw it last night. Essentially Scott Pilgram vs. The World + Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.It's a fun movie and a very vibrant visual orgy of effects and pop culture references. Plot wise it's not the most compelling, but it's got a classically fun sense of Spielberg charm.

Easter Egg Spoilers:

- Apparently in the future everyone grew up in the 80's

- 80's pop culture trivia galore

- Businessman = bad, kids = good

- People in the future still haven't learned not to trust people over the internet

- The forget Avengers, this has the most epic cross over fights you'll ever see

- Our hero gets the golden ticket...I mean egg

- Spotting every reference is half the fun of watching this film

the 80s references are not just blown out of proportion. Our Willy Wonka is a child of the 80s and he's what we today call an "influencer" so people consume his nostalgia as FOMO in the cultural zeitgeist. Kaanye makes crap sneakers, but you buy them. Apple farts in a box, and you'll say it is easier to use than the android fart in a box, but you can't talk facts, just to the popular vote. shit like that

So we (IMAX) did our 3d screening tonight. It was not a typical Spielberg movie, it was kind of fun, flooded with nostalgic 80s references in a world or VR and the light parodies of our current over connected culture. The movie is about a quest, Goonies and ET where the adults don't get it.

If you see it, the "Shining" inspired sequence was well done.

Enjoyable, maybe for home viewing where you can freeze frame it and see all the Easter eggs.

If you are in a good theater, when "Blue Monday" starts playing, it sounds great. The rest of the 80s music is well timed and even funny.

It's a movie where the 3D was good, but not gimmicky, so see it in 3D or wait for home theater.

8/10

I watched in 2D, I fcuking hate 3D. Anyway, with low expectations coming in, I enjoyed it. There is not much of a plot, I found myself looking for the easter eggs. Joy Division Tee Shirt! The shining sequence was great. It's so dense with easter eggs you will probably have to watch it at home frame by frame to catch them all If you want to waste an evening.

I watched in 2D, I fcuking hate 3D. Anyway, with low expectations coming in, I enjoyed it. There is not much of a plot, I found myself looking for the easter eggs. Joy Division Tee Shirt! The shining sequence was great. It's so dense with easter eggs you will probably have to watch it at home frame by frame to catch them all If you want to waste an evening.

yeah, the famous "wavefrom" from the "unknown pleasures" cover! that and her doc martins with torn tights, bomber jacket, it all fit that time perfectly. i swear i spotted the bauhaus "face" a few times too.