My latest job....

cake

I'm working at the track teaching winter and defensive driving skills. We use reconditioned Crown Victoria police cruisers. Usually it's 3 days per week.

The track has a big contract with a major oil company to train up to 1800 people. Class size is 15 using 5 instructors, 5 cars each with 3 students.

Probably 80 minutes of the full day is spent in the classroom and the remainder is in the cars. We do everything from threshold braking (with ABS turned off) to skid pad oversteer/understeer. We do most of the exercises at highway speeds to replicate emergency and "panic" situations. This ain't no class on parallel parking - that's for sure! We demonstrate each skill once and they get at least 2 laps to practice usually doing each drill several times to embed the skill.

It's close to a dream job. Each day is different. The people have been fantastic and everyone improves by the end of the day. Many ask us to "fail" them so they can come back. It's very rewarding - they appreciate what we teach and tell us they'll be better drivers. Many are transplants from areas of the country that don't experience winter, and have never felt a car skid. Many have never lost control of a vehicle.

The track keeps a mechanic on staff and we keep him quite busy changing tires and brake pads and keeping up on the wear/tear. The cars hold up surprising well given the "abuse".

We also do similar programs for the public, often parents take it with their teen kids. I'm having a blast. It'll be even more fun if we get some winter weather (we use sand to replicate slippery conditions if it's dry). So far it's from Nov-April which means I'll have May-Oct free for track season. But they are in discussions with another oil company, and have other programs to launch so it could grow from an off season program to year round.

crownvic1.png

crownvic2.png

crownvic3.png

crownvic4.png

crownvic5.png

crownvic6.png

crownvic7.png

crownvic8.png

I am SOOOOOO GLAD YOU GOT THIS JOB! I know how long you have been looking and the conversations we have had about opportunities for you to go full time in a motorsports related position.

Very pumped for your Carol!

Carol, this is awesome stuff!! A dream job for many of us :icon_super:

I knew you were into track events, but had no idea you were into teaching it as well. Very cool....best of luck.

And when you finally decide to teach the "VIP driving course", I expect the non law enforcement waiver!

Thanks guys. So far it's seasonal but the new owners (serious racer husband / wife team with full on CF custom Vipers) are making good changes including doubling the 1.56-12 turn road course to 3 miles with some nice elevation changes. Construction has begun and we hope it's ready by 2014. They are pursuing lots of training contracts including teen programs, corporate and insurance company sanctioning.

I've taught a variety or programs including HPDE and teen driving and gov't subcontractors deployed to hostile countries. My favorite drill is where I'm driving (around 50-60 mph) and pretend to be suddenly incapacitated. The students have to take control and either bring us to a safe controlled stop - or get us out of a "situation". They're not allowed to push me out of the car but they can climb over the seat and might have to use hands on the gas/brake. It's fun and teaches them what to do in the event something happens to the driver in a hostile situation. Very cool stuff :) The track also has military, motorcade, police and offroad programs but I don't have the background (yet) for those.

After being downsized out and retiring (27 year career that I loved) I really miss working. I've stayed quite busy the last couple years but I'm thrilled to have something part time, with people I enjoy. I get to combine the training aspects of my previous job, with my passion. I also present a portion of classroom each day (which I enjoy) which keep my training skills fresh.

It's challenging work. We want to build confidence but push people beyond their comfort zone. I have to figure out an approach that works for each person to make them feel good about what they accomplish and at the same time be willing to challenge themselves to the point of (almost) failure. Everyone is different.

I continue to look for work in my field (training and development) and apply when something sounds interesting - but there's not much based in Pittsburgh and we don't really want to move again. I'm lucky - I don't HAVE to work (so far :)) so I can be choosy.

The track gig is about the best thing going.

LP discount?

I'd be happy to tackle an LP discount if there are some folks who want to come and take a class.

I can guarantee that everyone laughs and has a great time. The instructors are all fun. There is a core group of 4 instructors, and the fifth rotates between a few people - two of whom are retired cops (state trooper and town police).

There's nothing quite like beating up on someone else's equipment, and getting to do a bit of drifting and not worry about tires.

That is absolutely awesome! I'd love to get my wife into a class like that.

Many of our participants ask about putting their spouse or kids through.

In our public (open enrollment) classes we get a lot of parents that take it with their teen kids. Last class we had a wife and daughter take it. The husband had taken it first and wanted them to experience it.

That sounds like a dream job.

I always thought if I have kids that something like this would be perfect for a new teen driver. We all know teens do stupid things behind the wheel, might as well give them some skills to hopefully turn what could be a horrifc accident into a possibly minor one just by understanding how to regain some or all of the control of an out of control car.

Congrats!

That sounds like a dream job.

I always thought if I have kids that something like this would be perfect for a new teen driver. We all know teens do stupid things behind the wheel, might as well give them some skills to hopefully turn what could be a horrifc accident into a possibly minor one just by understanding how to regain some or all of the control of an out of control car.

Congrats!

Thank you. It is great for teens - but we recommend they have a minimum of 6 months to a year of driving. It can be very intimidating - even to adult drivers, and it may scare the crap out of a teen with zero experience (although we tone down the speeds a little for younger drivers). They'll get a lot more from it if they have some experience. But it's absolutely great class for a new driver. It builds confidence and skills.

The one thing we can't give them is the range of experience they'll get from time behind the wheel, and often their mistakes are from lack of experience. But to do some skids and emergency stops and understand panic situations in a controlled environment on a closed course is the best time to experience those things. That way - if it happens in the "wild" it's not the first time they've felt it, and maybe not quite as scary, and maybe they can respond appropriately. Same for adults.

Carol has officially become "The Female Transporter". I think she needs a status change!

Also someone lock this thread before Capt gets in here and starts to profess his undying love for her again. Could get messy. :wub:

Many of our participants ask about putting their spouse or kids through.

In our public (open enrollment) classes we get a lot of parents that take it with their teen kids. Last class we had a wife and daughter take it. The husband had taken it first and wanted them to experience it.

If you guy ever host, or know of a class in So Cal, count us in for sure.

That's very cool Carol! I honestly feel pretty comfortable driving but have pretty much zero knowledge about anything mentioned in the first post lol. That's awesome you teach!

The Mayans were right, 2012 is the end of the world. A woman teaching a defensive driving class. Hehe, woman, defensive driving, now THAT'S funny.

Sounds great! Congrats! I bet you're like a kid in a candy store about the whole experience.

The Mayans were right, 2012 is the end of the world. A woman teaching a defensive driving class. Hehe, woman, defensive driving, now THAT'S funny.

:lol2:

Sounds like a real fun time, Carol, congratulations! I'd like to take that class too!

That's an awesome job, have been wanting to take these kind of courses for a while now ever since I went on the track in the thunderstorm a few years ago!