Miles vs Maintence

DosDiablosAzules

What would you rather buy a Lambo with impeccable/doucumented maintenence records from Driven Exotics (or Evans if you live east) with "high" mileage, like 2000 miles /year for a 20 year old car, so 48,000 miles, or a sub 10,000 mile car with no or little records????? In other words should I be worried about the miles I put on the Roadster, and really limit the miles on the ME SV?

Keeping miles low is for resale, and cosmetics.

Driving your car and maintaining it is for pleasure and long term reliability.

It's that simple really.

I'd imagine the 10k car will need more attention up front than the higher mileage car, assuming no hidden stories, bad luck, etc.

Nothing scarier in principle than these 25 year old exotics with 250 miles on the odometer.

I'd go for the sub 10,000 miles car but have it jacked up and throughly checked. Will also put aside some money for replacing gaskets, hoses, refreshing it, etc etc

Depends on the buyer.. some people just look at the odometer and don't care about much else. (until the repair bill comes!) And then others only care about the records...

However with that said, it seems like buyers in general are caring less and less about the cars with higher miles as long as they are maintained. So, drive and enjoy!

Cats buys and sells a ton of lambos.. they would have a pretty educated opinion on this topic as well.

I prefer miles over owners. As far as low mile car with little/no maintenance and high mile car with maintenance. It would boil down to which car looked/felt better.

Subscribing to this topic because this has always had me fascinated. Mostly because I put a zillion miles on whatever cars I have, but am interested to hear experiences from people with say 90s exotics and the types of things they've faced on low miles.

Agree that every buyer is different.

In a perfect world, I would prefer a higher mile well maintained car.

In the real world, I have had some terrible work done on my car. I have also had some things updated away from stock. I had a bunch of records from the previous owner and it turned out the work was done poorly and had to be redone. My car has less than 30,000 miles, but has required a ton of work. Some of the work was good work. Stuff wears out no matter how well you maintain a car. Even though I have a lot of records and take care of my car, there are issues I have not addressed.

The reality is that I would be fine with a higher mile well maintained car, but I would expect it to pay less for it. I would inspect both and never pay a premium for a high mile car no matter how well maintained.

If I got a PPI, and both cars checked out, I would expect to pay less for the high mile car. I would not expect it to be a big difference. If the low one was 180,000, I would expect the high mile one to be around 175,000 or slightly less.

Maintenance is my religion. As a buyer, I look for cars with religious maintenance records. I'll take a 90,000 mile car that was maintained religiously over a 10,000 mile car with no records.

As a driver, I drive and don't care about miles, but keep maintenance records a priority. If I have a car want to enjoy it and not worry about what the next guy is going to think about it.

service records over miles...

ultimately you want to talk to the owner, ask him how it was driven, where it was driven, etc. You could be looking at a low miles car that was used mostly for track days and driven very hard, or a high miles car that was babied and regularly serviced. Miles don't tell the whole story.

On a diablo that is 20 years old, I would not expect a 10k mi car to be a good thing without service records. It generally means to me that the car wasn't maintained or care for at all. Why else wouldn't there be any record right?

A 2k mi per year is totally reasonable for diablo. The fact that it has service records is a good sign that the car wasn't being traded due to a problem that seller hasn't disclosed.

I would reverse what I said above if the car is to be collected and not driven. In collectibility world, low mileage is the most important thing.

Its funny, reading here and some other posts it seems many prefer the higher mile cars; however the lower mile cars seem to fetch more money (not necessarily "collector" 1,000 mile time capsule, but more in comparing a 12,000 mile to a 50,000 mile for instance). Maybe the larger general public looking for a Lambo prefer the lower mile cars & thus the higher price.

Its funny, reading here and some other posts it seems many prefer the higher mile cars; however the lower mile cars seem to fetch more money (not necessarily "collector" 1,000 mile time capsule, but more in comparing a 12,000 mile to a 50,000 mile for instance). Maybe the larger general public looking for a Lambo prefer the lower mile cars & thus the higher price.

We're a non normal sample. Most regular buyers aren't buying keepers they're buying a temporary trophy. They don't want to loose much money so they buy one that they can own a year and put ~1000 miles on and they they can dump and on to the next car. Those cars are the trophy garage queens.

I do like where people say, don't save it for the next owner. That's not an easy pill to swallow on a vehicle that may cost 10-100% of a year salary. Not everyone is sitting on 300-500k play money that don't want to put to work.

• 2 weeks later...
Maintenance is my religion. As a buyer, I look for cars with religious maintenance records. I'll take a 90,000 mile car that was maintained religiously over a 10,000 mile car with no records.

As a driver, I drive and don't care about miles, but keep maintenance records a priority. If I have a car want to enjoy it and not worry about what the next guy is going to think about it.

1000000%

We're a non normal sample. Most regular buyers aren't buying keepers they're buying a temporary trophy. They don't want to loose much money so they buy one that they can own a year and put ~1000 miles on and they they can dump and on to the next car. Those cars are the trophy garage queens.

I do like where people say, don't save it for the next owner. That's not an easy pill to swallow on a vehicle that may cost 10-100% of a year salary. Not everyone is sitting on 300-500k play money that don't want to put to work.

Very well said.

Who ever buys my Lambos is stepping into shyt (in a good way). ALL MY MILEAGE IS DOCUMENTED (ON FILM or pics) and I usually sell a car 1-2 years old with 40k miles on it. All bugs are out of the car and it has impeccable service history at lambo ... its enthusiast owned and im experienced. I always get the 60,000 5 year option transferable at factory so ... the 2nd buyer gets a car with na least 15k left on the warranty/ 3 years left on the warranty ... and I loose real money on those sales. my cars are always better .... that6s "Better" after 20k miles and are well functioning machines not "quirky" garage art on battery tenders. Just styeam clean the interior because

well

you've seen the photoshoots

Who ever buys my Lambos is stepping into shyt (in a good way). ALL MY MILEAGE IS DOCUMENTED (ON FILM or pics) and I usually sell a car 1-2 years old with 40k miles on it. All bugs are out of the car and it has impeccable service history at lambo ... its enthusiast owned and im experienced. I always get the 60,000 5 year option transferable at factory so ... the 2nd buyer gets a car with na least 15k left on the warranty/ 3 years left on the warranty ... and I loose real money on those sales. my cars are always better .... that6s "Better" after 20k miles and are well functioning machines not "quirky" garage art on battery tenders. Just styeam clean the interior because

well

you've seen the photoshoots

I think I just pissed my pants...........the post was funny also....

Same here.

A 20 Yr old lambo with no little records and driven rarely is going to have a massive bill with any use. If one is maintained by Evans, you are golden. I've got 72,000 Km and Evans just finished a little refresh.