Home security

fmari

I've got the typical home alarm with motion, door, and fire sensors. I also have a locked door and we keep our walk in closet door locked. But I feel that it isn't enough. Many of my items just aren't replaceable. I am thinking about a supplemental alarm just for the closet. Its own GSM for allerting me by cell.

What else can I do? What are you guys doing to protect your valuables? I dont want some huge safe. If my watches are hard to get to them im just going to wear my Rolex everyday and not have any kind of rotation with my other watches....

One of my friends has a large watch collection and, like you, he stores them accessibly in a walk in. He put a camera in there for the watch collection. But I forget the brand.

You could easily order a Nest, Ring, or LogiCircle camera off Amazon and put it in there and activate motion alerts. Then you'll have an app on your phone to view the camera live whenever you want it, and you'll get a push notification on your phone if there's motion and you can just click the notification and view what set it off. You just need a power outlet and it will connect to wifi network. Accomplishes basically same thing as putting a special alarm+gsm dialer in there.

Kinnsella,

That is exactly what I dont want.

I don't why you wouldn't, it's much more secure than a locked door and you don't have to be always carrying keys to access it. Theives will kick down your door and be in and out before your alarm company responds. Most of them are utterly useless. We had a false alarm at our home in LA while we were out to dinner, took rent a cop 30 minutes to arrive and he wouldn't enter the property until the cops arrived 45 minutes later.

Put some big ass screws/lags into the door strike, not the tiny ones that come with the door knobs and dead bolts. You already have an alarm so your covered there. You could do exterior cameras to keep an eye on things but that won't stop people from breaking in if they are determined and know you have stuff. Same with the camera inside the room, it will just let you watch them steal your things. I know you don't want a vault door, but it wouldn't hurt if you had one. I have seen vault doors that look like normal doors, but are heavy steel and can't be kicked down.

Insurance is nice but also a total pain in the ass. Not sure what you have experienced but the want everything apprasied ( which I totally understand) but also every 3-4 years they want items appraised again. Thats a huge pain in the ass. Also if you add up the premuim every year is really adds up. I can buy a really nice gold watch every 6th year.

Kinnsella,

you do have a good point. I was looking at the door frame and I can run thru it easliy if i wanted to. Or just punch myself thru the drywall next to the door.

Insurance is nice but also a total pain in the ass. Not sure what you have experienced but the want everything apprasied ( which I totally understand) but also every 3-4 years they want items appraised again. Thats a huge pain in the ass. Also if you add up the premuim every year is really adds up. I can buy a really nice gold watch every 6th year.

Kinnsella,

you do have a good point. I was looking at the door frame and I can run thru it easliy if i wanted to. Or just punch myself thru the drywall next to the door.

Ours has solid reinforced concrete walls that are 10 inches thick. It is big enough to function as a panic room too.

I think you are wading too deep in the jewelry pond if you have pieces that make you that uncomfortable to leave in your own house. Locked front door, bedroom door and closet door? That’s crazy. I see posts about people wondering about scratches, theft, etc. These pieces are supposed to be rewards. If they have the opposite effect on you, punt and live happy.

Unless it’s a family heirloom where your dads best friend brought home his watch from a POW camp in his ass, its replaceable. Ask Bill how to get a blanket jewelry policy so you only have to schedule 100k pieces and live free and happy. And put the ass watch in the bank safe deposit box.

I think you are wading too deep in the jewelry pond if you have pieces that make you that uncomfortable to leave in your own house. Locked front door, bedroom door and closet door? That’s crazy. I see posts about people wondering about scratches, theft, etc. These pieces are supposed to be rewards. If they have the opposite effect on you, punt and live happy.

Unless it’s a family heirloom where your dads best friend brought home his watch from a POW camp in his ass, its replaceable. Ask Bill how to get a blanket jewelry policy so you only have to schedule 100k pieces and live free and happy. And put the ass watch in the bank safe deposit box.

Ass watch LOL

I completely agree with this post, insure, sleep comfortably, if you think they are irreplaceable buy a big ass safe.

Can you do a hidden small safe behind a wall tile? Ive seen that and you'd never find it. Timewise 5 secs to undo the tile, then 20 secs to open it..

If its just a couple pieces, get a small safe and put it in a wall behind a photo. If its a BUNCH of stuff, then do as others have said.

Chit cant be that valuable if you cant be bothered to look into a safe......

:iamwithstupid: :icon_thumleft:

Unless it’s a family heirloom where your dads best friend brought home his watch from a POW camp in his ass, its replaceable.

Birthright ass watches are serious business.

post-15031-1525187511.jpg

:iamwithstupid:

Why not just get a normal safe and have house monitored? Even if takes the popo several minutes to show, thieves aren't going to break in, locate hidden safe, crack safe, whole time while alarm blaring. Most just smash and grab.

At our house we make it hard to break-in and hard to leave. We have mylar film on all windows so they can't be shattered. Steel throw plates and long deadbolts at doors. Cameras in obvious locations. Signs everywhere. Barbed wire at perimeter. Sentries and robots everywhere. Assassins in bushes. Satellites with lasers. And body doubles at all times.

This had me rolling. Ass watch. bahahahaha

The more I think about it the more I am thinking about a safe. Sounds like a good idea. I am thinking about a gun safe cause I need at least 40inches tall and 20 Inches wide interior. That size in a normal safe is going to be crazy heavy. I think a quality gun safe will slow down any crooks long enough. Or am I wrong?

Any recommendations? Thanks again guys. Great info.