Diablo vs F40

EpDarks

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice! thanks for sharing...very hard to choose one i would take. but i'll probably still prefer the diablo.

Aren't F40's currently trading at +/- 3x the price of a diablo?

I remember reading that article when it came out. between that and some other magazine which compared the Countach, the Vector and some other car. it really set the impression that super car sucked to actually own and drive. :(

Thanks for sharing!

I love both the F40 and the Diablo, and even tough they favor the F40, I have all my own reasons to love the Diablo.

Interesting article, but a bit specious, IMHO.

You just can't compare turbo-charged cars to naturally-aspirated cars in a true head-to-head manner ----- the characteristics of the respective power fluxes are too different. I've driven an F-40, and I've owned several other turbos (including an Esprit V8 TT, currently). I've also driven many (and owned a few) high power NA cars, and the way in which both the engine applies, and the driver modulates, the power and torque is simply not the same. NA engines develop power steadily ---- turbos give that "slingshot" effect.

That said, that really only applies to older turbo engines (like that of the F40). The newer turbo-charged engines are getting very close to duplicating the seamless nature of an NA engine. And, I do indeed hope that is true as I recently put my deposit down for an MP4 :P

I heard the Diablo was driven there and was owned by a friend of a friend of some guy in the camera crew. The F40 was a factory owned car boosted beyond recognition and came in a truck along with the whole Ferrari development team in another 3 trucks along with Enzo himself who came in a rainbow painted F40 limo that also beat the Diablo around the track.

:icon_mrgreen:

Interesting article, but a bit specious, IMHO.

You just can't compare turbo-charged cars to naturally-aspirated cars in a true head-to-head manner ----- the characteristics of the respective power fluxes are too different. I've driven an F-40, and I've owned several other turbos (including an Esprit V8 TT, currently). I've also driven many (and owned a few) high power NA cars, and the way in which both the engine applies, and the driver modulates, the power and torque is simply not the same. NA engines develop power steadily ---- turbos give that "slingshot" effect.

That said, that really only applies to older turbo engines (like that of the F40). The newer turbo-charged engines are getting very close to duplicating the seamless nature of an NA engine. And, I do indeed hope that is true as I recently put my deposit down for an MP4 :P

How do you like your Esprit? Any mods

How do you like your Esprit? Any mods

Love it !!!

Car is an '03 US-Spec and is virtually stock. The only mods so far are a pair of Larini Sports Cats and the "High Torque" ECU factory upgrade.

Love it !!!

Car is an '03 US-Spec and is virtually stock. The only mods so far are a pair of Larini Sports Cats and the "High Torque" ECU factory upgrade.

On my 03 1/2 Final Edition we found out the final series actually already had the High torque ECU.. car made almost 350 rwhp stock... Great car for the money inmo... Had 2..

Is the Diablo really as fast as the F40? From the articles I've read in the past, sounded like the F40 would've easily beaten the Diablo.

Is the Diablo really as fast as the F40? From the articles I've read in the past, sounded like the F40 would've easily beaten the Diablo.

don't think they are in the same class.

F40 is faster, especially when tweaked..

On my 03 1/2 Final Edition we found out the final series actually already had the High torque ECU.. car made almost 350 rwhp stock... Great car for the money inmo... Had 2..

Yepper ---- some of the FRE's did come from Lotus with the High Torque maps already loaded. It's unclear whether the upgrade was individually customer-ordered or factory spec-ed. No one in the Lotus community seems to know the definitive answer on that --- but, it is a fact not all the FRE's left the factory with that modification for some reason. Given how goofy Lotus is, it was probably a clerical oversight --- lol!

My car is serialed just 4 cars before the FRE run. When I bought, I wanted and looked hard for an FRE, but none were available at the time on the market (in the color combo I wanted, that is).

Agreed --- mucho bang for the buck! The V8TT will keep pace with almost anything out there (from its era) up to 125 mph, or so --- than the bigger-engined beasts start to pull away :)

Yepper ---- some of the FRE's did come from Lotus with the High Torque maps already loaded. It's unclear whether the upgrade was individually customer-ordered or factory spec-ed. No one in the Lotus community seems to know the definitive answer on that --- but, it is a fact not all the FRE's left the factory with that modification for some reason. Given how goofy Lotus is, it was probably a clerical oversight --- lol!

My car is serialed just 4 cars before the FRE run. When I bought, I wanted and looked hard for an FRE, but none were available at the time on the market (in the color combo I wanted, that is).

My build on my Esprit was documented by the magazine Modified Luxury and Exotics..

The mods we did were full exhaust, boost springs, boost controller and airfilter.. Hp didnt climb much, we ended up making 370rwhp, but torque went from around 300ftlbs to 370ft lbs..

Car was a blast to drive and faster than a Gallardo..

Lol, so many of those things are so true about the diablo. Especially the clutch, heavy steering, and clunky shifter before it warms up. But also the fact the ladies love it!

My build on my Esprit was documented by the magazine Modified Luxury and Exotics..

The mods we did were full exhaust, boost springs, boost controller and airfilter.. Hp didnt climb much, we ended up making 370rwhp, but torque went from around 300ftlbs to 370ft lbs..

Car was a blast to drive and faster than a Gallardo..

:icon_super:

Lol, so many of those things are so true about the diablo. Especially the clutch, heavy steering, and clunky shifter before it warms up. But also the fact the ladies love it!

Are the newer Diablos that much easier to drive (besides the steering obviously) than the older Diablos?

Like, say the '99 cars and newer.

Are the newer Diablos that much easier to drive (besides the steering obviously) than the older Diablos?

I always thought they drove about the same but then again I always thought the 6.0 was an easy car to drive.

Mine has a light clutch and very good power steering. But it needs to be warm before the shifter is smooth. Still it's not an easy car to drive though.

Personally I think the Diablo (at least certain models) has aged a lot better than the F40.

Mine has a light clutch and very good power steering. But it needs to be warm before the shifter is smooth. Still it's not an easy car to drive though.

Personally I think the Diablo (at least certain models) has aged a lot better than the F40.

No question, the Diablo looks fine to this day but the F40 looks very (ahem) Miami Vice..

I retired my white suit and narrow turquoise tie 25 years ago

Heres a classic that hasn't aged:

IMG_3451.jpg

Mark