What do you do...

AudiBull

How are they still selling stuff? Do they sell anything, or do they just take peoples' deposits and run away? I'm so confused.

Last I read, there were handfuls of customers with missing cars, missing parts, incomplete projects, etc.

Frankenlotus lol

I did not know they were ripping off customers other than the prices they charged

Just do a quick google search, and you'll see all you need to know.

Just so you know, this article is from 2002 if that tells you anything, but there was another more recent article within (I think) the last year and a half. Same games, same prizes. According to one account I read, this person found that his entire car had been parted out for use on other cars!

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/viper...-heads-problems

LOL. Videos don't show up for me in Safari and I already knew who the thread was about without it.

Same here, and I live completely another side of the ball.

Why people still give him work and why he is not jailed yet??

I also noticed how many tuners are getting started into the R8/Huracan platform. Really just about every other shop now offers a bolt on system. But for anything more than that I would always turn to those who have the most experience and best reputation regarding their build quality.

The thing I don't understand is how anyone can send their car to Hennessey? There are a few other very reputable shops around, and while everyone can have issues with custom builds, you know the people behind the operation stand behind their work and have done so for decades.

Yeah Hennessey might give you a good car, but no better than any other tuner shop. You also have a reasonable chance of getting your car back in pieces minus whatever cash you paid. I see absolutely no upside to sending a $250k car with $60k in the trunk, to a shop known for outright fcuking people, that is still very publicly having financial troubles.

Why the hell would anyone smart enough to earn the pile of $$ to buy that car risk it?

The thing I don't understand is how anyone can send their car to Hennessey? There are a few other very reputable shops around, and while everyone can have issues with custom builds, you know the people behind the operation stand behind their work and have done so for decades.

Yeah Hennessey might give you a good car, but no better than any other tuner shop. You also have a reasonable chance of getting your car back in pieces minus whatever cash you paid. I see absolutely no upside to sending a $250k car with $60k in the trunk, to a shop known for outright fcuking people, that is still very publicly having financial troubles.

Why the hell would anyone smart enough to earn the pile of $$ to buy that car risk it?

:iamwithstupid:

Upside is limited indeed and it's not 1996 anymore when Hennessy was the s**** and had a great reputation.

Maybe Lingenfelter could get into the game as a new player. :icon_mrgreen:

A lot of it is because Hennessey still gets regular, favorable press coverage in the mainstream car mags. How he cultivated those connections I don't know, but he did, and they're still shilling for him. Lots of people see a tuner and his latest offering being written about in Car & Driver or one of the other major mags and figure he must be legit, and don't bother to do an online search on him. And if they contact him, he's a great salesman/marketer. BTW, anyone who sends a Huracan to a tuner who hasn't spent a ton of time on them (and that's essentially anyone other than UR or maybe Heffner) at this point is playing with fire IMO. Getting the DCT to work well with TT's is complicated, even at bolt-on levels, and there are a number of cars out there now with a Joe's Speed Shop bolt-on setup and either outright tranny problems or a poorly shifting tranny.

A lot of it is because Hennessey still gets regular, favorable press coverage in the mainstream car mags. How he cultivated those connections I don't know, but he did, and they're still shilling for him. Lots of people see a tuner and his latest offering being written about in Car & Driver or one of the other major mags and figure he must be legit, and don't bother to do an online search on him. And if they contact him, he's a great salesman/marketer. BTW, anyone who sends a Huracan to a tuner who hasn't spent a ton of time on them (and that's essentially anyone other than UR or maybe Heffner) at this point is playing with fire IMO. Getting the DCT to work well with TT's is complicated, even at bolt-on levels, and there are a number of cars out there now with a Joe's Speed Shop bolt-on setup and either outright tranny problems or a poorly shifting tranny.

I was baffled when the CEO of Bugatti and Bentley, Mr Wolfgang Dürheimer talked about John Henessey at the first Chiron unveiling in Hamburg as one of their main rival when it comes to supercars or top speed. A shame IMO

I can hear from the video, after it hits the next gear the clutch strategy is wrong. Its the same thing I hear on all these other tuner videos I see popping up claiming they can do a TT Huracan correctly. Most are just leaving the clutches stock and letting them slip (after the shift), not because of the disc by themselves but the pressure timing is off as well. Some of those customers getting the cheap TT setups have no idea what damage they are causing to the transmission (even some of those having upgraded clutches). When they slip like that they heat up, then it can lose the basket clip or just simply launch the clutch discs out the side of the basket and transmission (depending on if the OEM welded spline hub breaks off). Its not if it will break, its when. I have been getting calls with customers that fell for these cheap kits asking for help from just about all the tuners that have messed with these Huracans trying to turbo them.

We have been working very hard on this setup to get it right for a long time. We are now putting down 2200 whp in a DCT (without) any slip while keeping the stock drive-ability. Not sure where the limit is but we will find out and keep improving the setup. 233 in the 1/2 mile is a HUGE number for a DCT in the 1/2 mile (no launch). I'm more excited about Drag965's DCT Huracan than I am over his 257 1/2 mile pass with a dogbox. Its just a matter of time until we wont need to use a dogbox anymore.;)

I can hear from the video, after it hits the next gear the clutch strategy is wrong. Its the same thing I hear on all these other tuner videos I see popping up claiming they can do a TT Huracan correctly. Most are just leaving the clutches stock and letting them slip (after the shift), not because of the disc by themselves but the pressure timing is off as well. Some of those customers getting the cheap TT setups have no idea what damage they are causing to the transmission (even some of those having upgraded clutches). When they slip like that they heat up, then it can lose the basket clip or just simply launch the clutch discs out the side of the basket and transmission (depending on if the OEM welded spline hub breaks off). Its not if it will break, its when. I have been getting calls with customers that fell for these cheap kits asking for help from just about all the tuners that have messed with these Huracans trying to turbo them.

We have been working very hard on this setup to get it right for a long time. We are now putting down 2200 whp in a DCT (without) any slip while keep the stock drive-ability. Not sure where the limit is but we will find out and keep improving the setup. 233 in the 1/2 mile is a HUGE number for a DCT in the 1/2 mile (no launch). I'm more excited about Drag965's DCT Huracan than I am over his 257 1/2 mile pass with a dogbox. Its just a matter of time until we wont need to use a dogbox anymore.;)

Interesting takeaways that most people probably don't even consider, but that is why you guys are the best in the game. Period.

We have been working very hard on this setup to get it right for a long time. We are now putting down 2200 whp in a DCT (without) any slip while keep the stock drive-ability. Not sure where the limit is but we will find out and keep improving the setup. 233 in the 1/2 mile is a HUGE number for a DCT in the 1/2 mile (no launch). I'm more excited about Drag965's DCT Huracan than I am over his 257 1/2 mile pass with a dogbox. Its just a matter of time until we wont need to use a dogbox anymore.;)

I just saw the following video before reading your post:

It floors me how little research people do on these tuners, before giving them their money ...

Having said that a standard rule ought to be, if you're taking a test drive with a prospective tuner in a car they just completed, and it breaks ... You need to look for another tuner ...

• 2 weeks later...