Veyron Wipeout

Moronzilla

Texas newspaper

$2 million Bugatti crashes into lagoon

By Chris Paschenko

The Daily News

Published November 12, 2009

LA MARQUE — The owner of one of the world’s fastest production automobiles accidentally drove his fine-tuned, French-built car into a saltwater lagoon Wednesday.

The man, who police said was from Lufkin, was uninjured after escaping the partially submerged Bugatti Veyron as it came to rest in about 2 feet of saltwater.

The two-seater, with 16 cylinders and four turbo chargers, can reach speeds of more than 250 mph. New models sell for about $2 million.

The man, who refused to give his name, was looking at real estate in Galveston.

About 3 p.m. a low-flying pelican distracted him as he traveled north on Interstate 45 just south of the hurricane levee near lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu Bay.

The man jerked the wheel, dropped his cell phone, and the car’s front tire left the frontage road and entered a muddy patch, which foiled his attempt to maneuver away from the lagoon.

The Veyron’s powerful engine gurgled like an outboard motor for about 15 minutes before it died.

Police and firefighters blocked the frontage road until MCH Towing employee Gilbert Harrison carefully wenched the car away from riprap and onto the soft, muddy bank.

It’s the rarest car in the world, not something you can just replace, the man said.

An Associated Press story in October mentioned a 2006 model Veyron for sale in Jonesboro, Ark., with an asking price of $1.25 million.

One of the prospective buyers was from Texas.

That Bugatti Veyron was one of only 200 made and one of only about 15 in the United States, the AP reported.

:shock:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure why the owner didn't shut the engine down as soon as it hit the water though. It says it gurgled for about 15 minutes before it died. That would have at least saved some money I would think

Oh man. Wonder what the repair bill will be.

write off, you will never repair that car all the electronics gone.

what a shame.

he must've traveled quite fast the air brake is up or do they come up even at very low speed?

I had a friend of mine tell me last weekend that this guy parked in the dirt in a low rent neighborhood with his Veyron at the Lone Star Rally a couple of weeks ago. It broke my heart to see the chain wrapped through those wheels. I wonder how soon it will be until that car gets a plane ride to France.

"3 feet of water and left the engine running for 15 minutes before it died." :shock: Come on who are you fcuking kidding? :eusa_naughty: What was the intent or what was he on? :eusa_think: idiot! :eusa_wall:

It's an amazing piece of engineering, but unfortunately it's no U-boat. And it's cute how it says "French made." It stuns people when I say that it was designed and built by VW.

After reading some of the comments in the article and elsewhere, I never cease to be amazed how some people derive such glee at the misfortunes of others. I guess that it makes them feel better about their pitiful lot in life.

After reading some of the comments in the article and elsewhere, I never cease to be amazed how some people derive such glee at the misfortunes of others. I guess that it makes them feel better about their pitiful lot in life.

:iamwithstupid:

I wonder why the rear wheels were locked up? Had to be dragged through the mud...I wonder if it was a pelican or if he just drifted because he was on the phone...my guess is he dropped his phone, tried to retrieve it, then drifted off the road that makes for one expensive phone call...shame about the car as its a beauty whether its French or German!

wtf it almost looks like my veyron with that color combo.

btw: "That Bugatti Veyron was one of only 200 made and one of only about 15 in the United States, the AP reported."

AP is way off, its more like 60

Guest SP-superJay
probably thought if he went fast enough he could get to the other side.

hahaha oh man that made my day :lol2: