Rain is Coming

jhbchess

This shit is riddiculous. And apparently we've got 5 more days of it. 600 billion gallons in last 24 hours. Here is some before and after.

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

I don't understand how the mayor is still trying to back up his decision to not order any evacuations. I understand it would be a monumental task to move that many people but this storm didn't just sneak up and say "Hey I'm here!"

I don't understand how the mayor is still trying to back up his decision to not order any evacuations. I understand it would be a monumental task to move that many people but this storm didn't just sneak up and say "Hey I'm here!"

Some friends of mine explained it this way:

Houston is built with concentric circles of highway going further and further out. The third ring is 170 miles all the way around (and awesome for doing pulls in a lambo, but I digress), encompassing about 2,200 sq miles and millions of people. I saw a post saying the analogy is an area the size of the state of Delaware with 2x the population of Manhattan. But then it gets worse, the total greater houston metro area is 6 million people inside 10,000 square miles. That's enormous.

Here is a picture of our main evacuation road, I-10, with 16 lanes during the Rita evacuation in 2005. They activated contralanes on the second day (turning all the incoming lanes into outgoing lanes). 16 lanes of traffic, all headed out of town, at a dead stop.

The second photo is a railway bridge that goes over I-10. It's all underwater. There is no way 6 million people could have gotten out of town in time. They'd have all drowned.

Another way of describing the size of the greater Houston metro area: Slightly bigger than the entire state of New Jersey. Slightly smaller than the entire state of Massachusetts.

21151195_10214210020873645_1979428028568639611_n.jpg

21149996_10214210020833644_5805017718105634477_n.jpg

I was actually thinking earlier why here was no topic on this storm that was going to be worst in years.

Best of luck for all there. That motorway pic looks bad.

Some friends of mine explained it this way:

Houston is built with concentric circles of highway going further and further out. The third ring is 170 miles all the way around (and awesome for doing pulls in a lambo, but I digress), encompassing about 2,200 sq miles and millions of people. I saw a post saying the analogy is an area the size of the state of Delaware with 2x the population of Manhattan. But then it gets worse, the total greater houston metro area is 6 million people inside 10,000 square miles. That's enormous.

Here is a picture of our main evacuation road, I-10, with 16 lanes during the Rita evacuation in 2005. They activated contralanes on the second day (turning all the incoming lanes into outgoing lanes). 16 lanes of traffic, all headed out of town, at a dead stop.

The second photo is a railway bridge that goes over I-10. It's all underwater. There is no way 6 million people could have gotten out of town in time. They'd have all drowned.

Another way of describing the size of the greater Houston metro area: Slightly bigger than the entire state of New Jersey. Slightly smaller than the entire state of Massachusetts.

This plus there was uncertainty of where the storm was going to land. Local news started telling us 2-3 days before it hit to start stocking up on supplies and get ready. Houston averages 49 inches of rain a year, we had roughly 28 inches over the past 2 days and we have more to come

The amount of rainfall is staggering. The sun is out today, but it will be a while before all the water can drain off. No water damage at my house but I have friends who evacuated.

IMG_0580.JPG

How close is your house to all the damage? Did you have to think about leaving?

It's all over the place, one of my business partners lives a mile from me and he got 8 feet of water over his property. I didn't get flooded at all. Another member on here lives down the street and he was ok too. People a few miles in either direction in certain neighborhoods, especially near the levys or Brazos river, got majorly flooded. i was more concerned about the tornado watches constantly going off during the first two days. Water level in the lake behind my house I can keep an eye on, but death from above made me feel entirely powerless.

Port Arthur/Beaumont area got hit hard yesterday. Approximately 40 inches of rain in 24 hours. Place is a mess only way to get around is on boats. Walked a mile earlier today to go help as the vehicles were all trapped in.

To all the Texans on LP, i hope you are safe and doing well.

We are running out of gas in Dallas. All the stations are closed.

It's stopping my business. The refineries in Houston

are shut down and the U.S. gets 30 % of its fuel from Houston

, Texas, and we get all of ours from there.

The problem is that there is no shortage but thanks

To the idiot media, every one that is living will bring

Their cars to the long lines and create a shortage. Morons!!

• 2 weeks later...