Smaller steering wheels

Smash Boy

Wanted to get some feedback on those who have driven cars with smaller aftermarket steering wheels, and how you liked/disliked the feel of it?

I'm talking 350mm and smaller (320 down to 280mm), and performance driving. Can be for street car or dedicated track/autocross car. Typical suspects -- MOMO, OMP, Sparco, Nardi, RAID, etc.

Parallel parking and 3 point turns are understood to be harder to perform, but is it that big of a deal when almost every car comes with power steering?

It just seems like most performance cars come with bigger steering wheels than you'd like from the factory. Was wondering if this is to appease a wider set of buyers or if it's not that important, leaving the aftermarket to please the hardcore enthusiasts?

And now that just about every car comes with airbags (or driving aids) and people are hesitant to change out wheels on them, it makes the stock size more critical, IMO.

I have a 300 in my race car. I like it, but it wears on you with heavy steering. Especially when loaded up in a corner. I would think on an early murci it would be ok.. on an lp where the stearing is heavier it would get tiring. I am thinking of going to a 320-350. I drove a car with a 350 and it was way more comfortable over the course of the race.

I have a 300 in my race car. I like it, but it wears on you with heavy steering. Especially when loaded up in a corner. I would think on an early murci it would be ok.. on an lp where the stearing is heavier it would get tiring. I am thinking of going to a 320-350. I drove a car with a 350 and it was way more comfortable over the course of the race.

Very cool......you're probably the first person I know to own a 300.

Comfort over a long drive is legitimate issue for sure.

Good to know. I guess that explains why 350 is the most popular size.

I had a 350mm in my STi and never noticed any downsides you're concerned with.

Airbag is the reason I haven't installed one in my Viper.

I believe your STI came stock with a MOMO based wheel?

Consider putting in a RAID airbag wheel perhaps:

http://www.carnewal.com/products/340/71032...her-real-carbon

It boils down to personal taste and feel. Like you said, most cars have power steering these days so the added weight isn't likely to have a substantial impact. It's a matter of whether you like the new "feel" or not.

I am more concerned about the airbag issue. Obviously, no one ever wants to "test it" in a real life scenario. It's the insurance company that worries me most. Having a non-OEM or a modified-OEM or not having one at all may result insurance to deny your claim.

It boils down to personal taste and feel. Like you said, most cars have power steering these days so the added weight isn't likely to have a substantial impact. It's a matter of whether you like the new "feel" or not.

I am more concerned about the airbag issue. Obviously, no one ever wants to "test it" in a real life scenario. It's the insurance company that worries me most. Having a non-OEM or a modified-OEM or not having one at all may result insurance to deny you claim.

Yeah, it's a potential issue.

I'd steer clear of it for a typical daily driver probably. Key word, probably. :icon_mrgreen:

One of those calculated risks of course. You never crash, it's never an issue. You return back to stock and sell the car and it's as if you never had it in the first place.

Someone crashes into you and the airbags don't deploy when they're supposed to -- can/will the other insurance company deny claim?

I control my own destiny pretty well but letting someone else drive your car is another story.

I'm divided on the issue. And I hate insurance companies who push to deny stuff on all sorts of technicalities to begin with....

It did. I was running an OMP rally wheel.

Interior2.jpg

That's a sweet looking wheel!

In my experience insurance companies deny everything and require a fight. It's not a gamble I'd take on a street car.

Interesting discussion and I agree, very personal.

In my experience insurance companies deny everything and require a fight. It's not a gamble I'd take on a street car.

Interesting discussion and I agree, very personal.

You need to make one of your cars a dedicated track car already. I don't want you to miss out on the fun. :icon_mrgreen:

You need to make one of your cars a dedicated track car already. I don't want you to miss out on the fun. :icon_mrgreen:
Trust me - I've thought about it. I just don't want the complication of having to get a tow vehicle and trailer, and find a place to store it, and everything that goes with it.