2005 E-Gear Gallardo vs. C6 Z06...

Clax

So, today we had the chance to test out the C6 Plastic mess-06 and how it stacks up against the exotics.

First off, here are my impressions after driving the C6 Plastic mess-06:

- Brute power

- Solid handling until the pavement becomes unsettled, then it was a bit skittish

- Gearbox is greatly improved over previous generation Vettes, although still not on par with the more expensive European counterparts

- Traction is an issue

- Interior is not the best (seats are far too mushy for a hard-edged sports car, too much plastic, needs more leather and richer materials)

- Engine note is nice, but nothing like the exotics

- Car is quite stiff in comparison to previous generation Vettes

- Keyless-go with push-button start is kind of a neat feature

- Feels quite front-heavy in handling maneuvers (I'm sure I could get used to this with more seat time, just felt odd)

Okay, so now onto the race between the Gallardo and C6 Plastic mess-06.

35 mph roll, count of 3, go!

Who won? Any guesses?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You sound quite confident, so im gonna go with the Gallardo....

but wow must have been a close race..great write up!! :supz:

So, today we had the chance to test out the C6 Plastic mess-06 and how it stacks up against the exotics.

First off, here are my impressions after driving the C6 Plastic mess-06:

- Brute power

- Solid handling until the pavement becomes unsettled, then it was a bit skittish

- Gearbox is greatly improved over previous generation Vettes, although still not on par with the more expensive European counterparts

- Traction is an issue

- Interior is not the best (seats are far too mushy for a hard-edged sports car, too much plastic, needs more leather and richer materials)

- Engine note is nice, but nothing like the exotics

- Car is quite stiff in comparison to previous generation Vettes

Okay, so now onto the race between the Gallardo and C6 Plastic mess-06.

35 mph roll, count of 3, go!

Who won? Any guesses?

35mph roll on till what speed? If you were both in 1st gear, and as you say traction is an issue for the POS,and it wouldnt be for the Gallardo, and you stop at a relatively slow 100mph, id say maybe the Gallardo won, otherwise the POS.

Slowed down at around 135mph due to traffic.

Any more guesses?

No matter what, from what I have seen on the dyno, the advertised weight of the POS can a Gallardo beat one from 30-135. If it did, it would be driver error. Im sorry, I would take a used Gallardo over 3 brand new Plastic mess-06's, but im also realistic.

I can't see a 35-135mph race not ending with the Plastic mess-06 being ahead. If it didn't, then traction must really be a bitch in that car. Probably better off leaving the TCS computer engaged on the "Competition/Track" setting it has in that case.

I'd say the POS but not by much. Then again a e-gear shifts faster than anybody could throw a six speed. 135MPH your still in 3rd. I just don't know.

Okay, here is how it went down.

We roll to ~35mph, do the 1-2-3-go and we both hit it at precisely the same moment, a dead even start. The POS has a small loss of traction, nothing major. At that moment, the Gallardo lunges ahead a half-car length, with the nose of the POS halfway on my passenger door. For a few seconds the POS held that position, about a half car length back. Then, things got interesting. The Gallardo started to slowly pull from the POS. No shit. By the time we hit ~135mph, the Gallardo was about 1 car length ahead, and had the race gone longer, it appeared as though it would have continued to inch further ahead.

Needless to say, I was somewhat surprised by this result, especially considering all the media frenzy about this new car. What did I learn today? Don't believe magazine hype and marketing hype. And, Lambo has always been conservative in their hype and performance figures. And, the car that lapped Nurburgring at a frantic pace was probably not a production car, by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm sure some of the Plastic mess-06 chest-thumpers will call BS on my report. But I have several witnesses to this that will gladly give their own account.

In one way, I am happy the Gallardo won the race. In another, I am disappointed by the continual illusion that is perpetuated by the media and some (probably most) manufacturers. By all accounts in the media, that car should have raped the Gallardo. Didn't quite work that way.

Lambo rules!!!

Very impressive. And this isn't even the 06 G with more HP and better gears.

Wow. Good job Clax. :supz: :supz:

Great to hear the Gallardo kept on swinging, like Mako said the race with the new 06 G should be even better!!! :) Bet the G looked and sounded better doing it as well. ;)

Regardless, (credit where credits due), the new Plastic mess-06 sure does sound like a sick fast car. Definitely something to be careful with from a highway roll for us non-exotic driving guys! :) I bet that was a cool race to watch.

:supz: :supz: :supz: wow. I though the new Plastic mess-06 was faster than a murcielago in the striaght. but from what I just read the murcielago could have probably KILLED the Plastic mess-06. very impressed :prayer:

Okay, here is how it went down.

We roll to ~35mph, do the 1-2-3-go and we both hit it at precisely the same moment, a dead even start. The POS has a small loss of traction, nothing major. At that moment, the Gallardo lunges ahead a half-car length, with the nose of the POS halfway on my passenger door. For a few seconds the POS held that position, about a half car length back. Then, things got interesting. The Gallardo started to slowly pull from the POS. No shit. By the time we hit ~135mph, the Gallardo was about 1 car length ahead, and had the race gone longer, it appeared as though it would have continued to inch further ahead.

Needless to say, I was somewhat surprised by this result, especially considering all the media frenzy about this new car. What did I learn today? Don't believe magazine hype and marketing hype. And, Lambo has always been conservative in their hype and performance figures. And, the car that lapped Nurburgring at a frantic pace was probably not a production car, by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm sure some of the Plastic mess-06 chest-thumpers will call BS on my report. But I have several witnesses to this that will gladly give their own account.

In one way, I am happy the Gallardo won the race. In another, I am disappointed by the continual illusion that is perpetuated by the media and some (probably most) manufacturers. By all accounts in the media, that car should have raped the Gallardo. Didn't quite work that way.

Lambo rules!!!

Hmmm, is the a race that wil be reported on the Plastic mess-06 boards? I hope soo! Anyway, ill have to test drive on eof these bombds when im out in L.A. and see for myself.

Damn, as much as I like the G-car I would have thought the C6 ZO6 would have walked it, especially with it's gearing/light weight/rwd. Maybe something was wrong or whatever but oh well, shit happens on the street. I know one of the guys who took delivery ran it at the track and put down 125 mph traps or so. I figured it would be a 122-125 car in the 1/4. G traps around 118 or so, right?

If the G-car did that being heavier and awd, I would love to see a rwd version with less weight, more power along with the shorter gearing, that'd be a hellova car :twisted:

Ok im going to guess that it was driver error on the ZO6 part. First of all let me just say that im a lamborghini owner and use a stock POS c6 for daily beatings. Ive gone up against gallardos more than you can imagine and ive never been embarassed to the point that they pulled away like i was standing still. Ive always hung in there in handling and speed. By the way how much mileage was on the zo6? when i first got the c6 it was alot slower than it is now with some mileage on it. ive driven gallardos but not the zo6 so i cant comment on that. I have one on order so ill just have to wait until then and do my own comparison, but im sure there will be many other races between now and then.

Damn, as much as I like the G-car I would have thought the C6 ZO6 would have walked it, especially with it's gearing/light weight/rwd. Maybe something was wrong or whatever but oh well, shit happens on the street. I know one of the guys who took delivery ran it at the track and put down 125 mph traps or so. I figured it would be a 122-125 car in the 1/4.

Before the race, I thought exactly the same thing. I was fully prepared to lose. The driver of the POS is a very competent driver with ample track experience, and after the race he indicated everything was good with the car other than a brief loss of traction when he stomped the throttle. His response was that he was impressed that the POS kept close with the Gallardo. My response was that I was surprised the POS didn't beat me.

I think that 125mph trap time everyone refers to is the yellow Plastic mess-06 that has the video on the internet. If that is the case, that car was pre-production and was driven by a GM rep.

Ok im going to guess that it was driver error on the ZO6 part. First of all let me just say that im a lamborghini owner and use a stock POS c6 for daily beatings. Ive gone up against gallardos more than you can imagine and ive never been embarassed to the point that they pulled away like i was standing still. Ive always hung in there in handling and speed. By the way how much mileage was on the zo6? when i first got the c6 it was alot slower than it is now with some mileage on it. ive driven gallardos but not the zo6 so i cant comment on that. I have one on order so ill just have to wait until then and do my own comparison, but im sure there will be many other races between now and then.

As I stated, he is a very competent driver, and he indicated everything was good for the race, other than a brief loss of traction. Mileage on the car is about 3000 miles, so it's past the break-in period.

I expect that many people are going to say it's driver error, or the car was running on 7 cylinders, or something like that. I even hesitated posting the results (knowing what will come as a result) and thought about it intently before doing so. But I thought that everyone would appreciate learning the outcome, which was a surprise to me and everyone in attendance today.

Hmmm, is the a race that wil be reported on the Plastic mess-06 boards? I hope soo! Anyway, ill have to test drive on eof these bombds when im out in L.A. and see for myself.

No way, I'm not going there. I have no reason to start shit over this. The POS is an impressive car for the money, and is very fast. Like I said, I even hesitated to post the results in anticipation for the shitstorm that will likely ensue. Somebody from the Plastic mess-06 boards will get wind of this. At that point, I may regret my report from today. But, if you didn't hear it from me, you probably would have from one of the other drivers in attendance.

The first person on this board who says "nice kill" gets a big heaping pile of pancakes...

Wow i guess this goes to show you that what's on paper is not necessarily what happens in the street. From a POS owner "NICE KILL"

Wow i guess this goes to show you that what's on paper is not necessarily what happens in the street. From a POS owner "NICE KILL"

Or on the dyno, as the two plots Allan posted showed the Plastic mess-06 having strong results.

Thanks for the info Clax, good to hear.

You had to say it huh?