What a great looking urraco!

abolfaz

I'm not usually into non original stuff on vintage/classic cars.........but Damn!, this car has made me 2nd guess my tastes. Looks damn good! Very tasteful upgrades and mods. The Ruf wheels go amazingly well with the body lines of the car too.

It lost the single biggest asset of the Urraco and what set it aside from everything else......the steering wheel. If you own one you know what I mean. It's extremely cool.

The rest looks good. Wheels look great but a little too modern. I would make them gun metal maybe. Clean ass car though!

Damn that is nice

Wow...you guys are Urraco experten...that is one ugly... fucked up car...Audi designer... oh my ...wow...We did one some time back with a Mack truck steering wheel...looked really good :eusa_dance:

Ruf...ruff...tuff gong wheels...can you say ugly :icon_butt:

Leave it alone...this "german" designer ain't no Gandini...Rosetti and Leimer had a hand in this !

Paul

ps: Show me a nice looking Audi

Damn! And 80k euros almost.

I'm not usually into non original stuff on vintage/classic cars.........but Damn!, this car has made me 2nd guess my tastes. Looks damn good! Very tasteful upgrades and mods. The Ruf wheels go amazingly well with the body lines of the car too.

Most of these '70s and '80s Italian exotics suffered from a few things that modern cars do not have to deal with:

1) Big bumpers

2) Small wheels with thick sidewall (and not always a pretty design)

3) Too much clearance between fenders and tires

Now obviously this Urracco was restored to a very high level. But even a typical Urracco that maintains a lower ride height and similar wheels is going to stand out considerably.

308s are much the same way, Jalpas too.

512 Boxer from factory has all of these issues.

BTW, a nice way to judge a car's design is to simply see them on a lift with all wheels removed.

Seriously …how many Urracos have you owned…in my case it’s 4… (over a period of 30 years) so I have more than a little bit of experience.

Herr Himmel evidently designed the 80-90-100 series Audis in the 1980s…and now designs porcelain

The steering wheel is an abortion and is built out an additional 6-7 inches putting the wheel literally in your chest, and since the diameter is far greater than the very nice original, you can’t fit your thighs under, it unless you are Twiggy. :rolleyes:

Where is the evidence of a “great restoration”…the seats are wrong…and strangely it has a 2.5 liter motor in a P-200 ( a 2 liter car)

Since it is hard to get 14” performance tires…the 17 or 18 “ Ruf wheels are meant to compensate, but they don’t work on the car, and the color is wrong.

Keep in mind that the original Campagnolos weigh just 14 lbs…these could be 30 lbs or more… doing wonders for un-sprung weight / handling

Paul

Most of these '70s and '80s Italian exotics suffered from a few things that modern cars do not have to deal with:

1) Big bumpers

2) Small wheels with thick sidewall (and not always a pretty design)

3) Too much clearance between fenders and tires

Now obviously this Urracco was restored to a very high level. But even a typical Urracco that maintains a lower ride height and similar wheels is going to stand out considerably.

308s are much the same way, Jalpas too.

512 Boxer from factory has all of these issues.

BTW, a nice way to judge a car's design is to simply see them on a lift with all wheels removed.

Seriously …how many Urracos have you owned…in my case it’s 4… (over a period of 30 years) so I have more than a little bit of experience.

Herr Himmel evidently designed the 80-90-100 series Audis in the 1980s…and now designs porcelain

The steering wheel is an abortion and is built out an additional 6-7 inches putting the wheel literally in your chest, and since the diameter is far greater than the very nice original, you can’t fit your thighs under, it unless you are Twiggy. :rolleyes:

Where is the evidence of a “great restoration”…the seats are wrong…and strangely it has a 2.5 liter motor in a P-200 ( a 2 liter car)

Since it is hard to get 14” performance tires…the 17 or 18 “ Ruf wheels are meant to compensate, but they don’t work on the car, and the color is wrong.

Keep in mind that the original Campagnolos weigh just 14 lbs…these could be 30 lbs or more… doing wonders for un-sprung weight / handling

Paul

The wheels could be better, sure. If you could source the Silhouette wheels that would be perfect.

You're right about the steering wheel. Interior no debate from me either as I don't know the Urracco that well, but at least it's clean.

The general gist of what I'm getting at is that the cars are fine the way they were, but ride heights tend to be on the high side. I don't particularly like the OEM Urracco wheels, much the same way I don't like the OEM wheels for a Dino 246/308 that weren't pentastar. I don't think I need to own 4 of those cars to have a valid opinion on that aspect. After all this is a visual taste conversation not one about driving performance and feel.

A big issue we have is we've become accustomed to modern cars having huge wheels, tighter fender clearance and integrated body colored bumpers. So when you see some of these cars with huge US market bumpers, SUV ride heights, and 14" wheels with tons of sidewall it's not as appealing. In essence it takes a nice shape and devalues it a bit.

I've seen a 308 GTB done right that is jaw dropping (using 100% OEM parts). I've seen 308s that look very uninspiring. SAME SHAPE.

Now I don't hold this onto the '60s and earlier vintage cars, esp. the more GT oriented. I wouldn't modify an Islero or Daytona along these lines. But these mid engined V8 exotics I look at it differently.

To each their own. :icon_thumleft:

• 2 months later...

Nice thing about Art.. Not everyone likes the same thing. I respect the car very much.

My urraco was headed for a razor blade factory in China. I would rather see it remade then come back as a cheap ass computer shell...

As for the mods..

1) the rims are not my cup of tea.

But you have had three Urracos so you know, and I hope you you respect the mods to get the rims to work.

2) the wheel reminds me of an espada wheel, im cool with that look over the toy cone wheel it came with.

3) color is outstanding

4) seats oh yeah love them. The original urraco seats were a joke made for tiny skinny people who hate life.

All in all a nice job...

But I am sure I will get blasted for my LP420 SVM Urraco.