Lamborghini boss: More Aventador variants to come, natural aspiration to stay

sl55

Lamborghini’s Aventador might seem to have reached its fullest and most terrifying potential with the 544kW S model, but there will be more variants to come from the old-school super car, according to Federico Foschini, the company’s chief commercial officer.

He also suggests we should ignore reports about the Aventador’s replacement going turbo, or offering a V12 hybrid with 1000 horsepower, because the company will be sticking with its gloriously loud naturally aspirated engines, “because it’s in our DNA, and it’s what the customers want”.

“The Aventador is an icon, I love it, and it is still surprising me every year, because it is a platform that is still giving us so many possibilities,” Foschini says of a car first launched in 2013 – and surely due for replacement.

“I don’t want Aventador to die, honestly. I love it. The time will have to come – let’s say it will be soon, but not too soon – and there are still a few more surprises to come with Aventador. But I can’t tell you any more or someone will kill me.”

Foschini has been told too many times to count over the past few years that his cars will have to go turbo to keep up with Ferrari and others, and you can tell just how much he, and his colleagues, enjoyed thumbing their noses at that theory when the Huracan Performante smashed the Nurburgring lap record recently, beating every turbocharged competitor out there (they prefer not to talk about the 911 GT2).

“In a world where everybody was switching to turbo because it’s the easiest way to get power and noise reduction, we were working very hard on the naturally aspirated engine, which, speaking with Australian customers, is what they want,” Foschini said, talking to CarAdvice at the end of the inaugural Lamborghini Oceania Giro in Melbourne at the weekend.

“For us, that Performante lap time proved that performance isn’t just about having the most number of horsepower, because we are still having the best acceleration, at 2.9 seconds, and we are the best around the Nurburgring. It’s a matter of aerodynamics, driving control, steering, driving dynamics and the light weight of the car.

“And the engine, of course, but the engine has to serve not just the highest number of horsepower, it’s about the torque, the responsiveness, because you don’t have to have a hole in the torque at low rpm, because this is what disappoints you when you’re driving in a turbo.

“And an engine has to give you an emotion in terms of sound. This is the difference between us and the others at the moment.”

And that’s why, for the immediate future at least – and that includes the Aventador’s replacement, likely in 2020 – the company’s super sports cars will remain naturally aspirated, and hugely loud (its SUV Urus is “a different market” and will thus go turbo, however).

“In the future, you never say never about turbo, but I think in the next years we are staying with this technology, and with the V12,” Foschini adds.

“This is the engine that we are not going to change in the next generation.

“The V12 is the reason why people are buying these cars, because it is different. There is no car in this segment that has this layout and it comes from a heritage, it comes from all the cars we have made in the past; the Murcielago, the Diablo, the Countach.”

Ask Federico about the idea of Lambo EVs and he looks mildly ill, but mention the word “Tesla” and he coughs and splutters like you’ve offered him a pizza covered in pineapple.

“For sure, there will be discussions about electrification, but not because of Tesla, no, no! Absolutely not, Tesla is another thing, another business model, it is not in our competitors,” he says, waving his hands and swaying his head in full Italianate horror.

“Our talks about EV are ongoing, but it is mainly for hybridisation, always related to boost, to increase performance and to stay in tune with the technology.

“A full electric car is not giving of all the characteristics that you need in a super sports car. It’s too heavy, it’s not noisy enough, it’s not emotional, it has no handling.

“It’s also a matter of reliability of the battery. You do one lap of the Nurburgring to set a lap record and you’ll need to stop and recharge it.”

The other bit of madness that Lamborghini refuses to give up on, no matter how powerful its cars become, is rear-wheel- drive special editions, according to Andrea Baldi, general manager of Lambo for the Asia Pacific region.

While BMW made its latest M5 all-wheel drive, in a shift away from its traditional RWD layout caused by it being simply too powerful, Baldi laughs at such an idea.

“What we have shown with the Huracan is that we can deliver anything, from four-wheel drive to two-wheel drive, and those two-wheel- drive versions are for people who like less control, they want a car where it is your skills making the difference,” he explains.

“Our philosophy is mainly connected with four-wheel drive, for performance and safety, but with the right concept, we are not against rear-wheel- drive cars, and there are still people out there who want those cars.”

Those people are, of course, largely Italians.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/596940/lamborg...ration-to-stay/

The only thing the Aventador needs is a DCT then it will be the perfect modern day exotic.

DCT and a 100 kilo diet. Probably unrealistic to expect both, though.

DCT and a 100 kilo diet. Probably unrealistic to expect both, though.

I was going to say exactly the same thing but than I realised they are mutually exclusive LOL

Just imagine a 1300 kg, V12, DCT, full carbon Aventador :shock: That's a dream car right there!

Let's see what we know is coming from the Aventador line-up.

Another bodykit special (hopefully something more innovative this time).

SVJ/GT/ the ultimate Aventador version.

SVJ/GT/ Roadster of that ultimate version.

Those seem to be " a few more" that he mentions.

As for DCT, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Let's see what we know is coming from the Aventador line-up.

Another bodykit special (hopefully something more innovative this time).

SVJ/GT/ the ultimate Aventador version.

SVJ/GT/ Roadster of that ultimate version.

Those seem to be " a few more" that he mentions.

As for DCT, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I’d say this is spot on, I do hope you are wrong on the DCT but I am afraid that’s just wishful thinking on my part.

I was going to say exactly the same thing but than I realised they are mutually exclusive LOL

Just imagine a 1300 kg, V12, DCT, full carbon Aventador :shock: That's a dream car right there!

I’d settle for a 1700 kg Aventador with a DCT considering the current ones are nearly 1900 kg!!

And imagine the price tag...

Aventador S SV....please limit it to less than 500 en total

That's coming :icon_mrgreen:

But I'll be that lone voice...NO DCT. I love the ISR...hence why driving the Aventador and Huracan are night and day...the Huracan is great, but lacks the raw savagery that the single clutch unleashes.

But I'll be that lone voice...NO DCT. I love the ISR...hence why driving the Aventador and Huracan are night and day...the Huracan is great, but lacks the raw savagery that the single clutch unleashes.

My friend how much time have you spent behind the wheel of the Aventador? It's exciting for the first few days but then it get's tiring, you upshift and that huge amount of torque and horsepower for a fraction of a second hits a brick wall until the box catches up, there is an interruption to the power flow and slight destabilisation of the car, when you hit it hard you can fell it in the steering wheel because it slightly turns in your hand. If this power plant had a more linear delivery without interruption it would be a phenomenal experience. IMO you don't need to be jolted in order to know you are driving something very special.

I know what you are saying about the savagery of the experience but with the latest software all that "raw savagery" was dialed out, the box is much smoother than before but it's nowhere near DCT quality so it's like a shitty DCT LOL, also please don't think that the only thing which makes the Aventador a lot more savage than the Huracan is its gearbox, there is a lot more to it, the box is its biggest let down, they will eventually mate a DCT to the V12, let's revisit this topic when that happens.

Your not alone....

My friend how much time have you spent behind the wheel of the Aventador? It's exciting for the first few days but then it get's tiring, you upshift and that huge amount of torque and horsepower for a fraction of a second hits a brick wall until the box catches up, there is an interruption to the power flow and slight destabilisation of the car, when you hit it hard you can fell it in the steering wheel because it slightly turns in your hand. If this power plant had a more linear delivery without interruption it would be a phenomenal experience. IMO you don't need to be jolted in order to know you are driving something very special.

I know what you are saying about the savagery of the experience but with the latest software all that "raw savagery" was dialed out, the box is much smoother than before but it's nowhere near DCT quality so it's like a shitty DCT LOL, also please don't think that the only thing which makes the Aventador a lot more savage than the Huracan is its gearbox, there is a lot more to it, the box is its biggest let down, they will eventually mate a DCT to the V12, let's revisit this topic when that happens.

I agree with 99.6573875% of your posts,

However this is a rare instance where we disagree. I sold my f12 because it was too smooth and was boring. I think it actually was faster than my SV, or it’s possible I can just drive my SV faster, in any case I’m not a great driver or am trying to go fast.

Your correct if you want smooth power delivery DTC is the plan.

Point is I have the time in the Lambos & Ferrari’s and the DCT is great for cars where a smooth ride is important or power delivery. In the Chiron it’s mandatory, but in 600-700 hp fat bloated cars the Single clutch at least makes them feel alive. In a car fast as the 720(love that car) or faster yes then the DCT is the right plan. Just LIKE gated manual cars are great up to 550-600hp, after that threshold then the gate gets in the way.

Point is as you climb the power (insert word-I’m tired) “thing” certain tranny’s are better than others depending on the car. Gates on the low end to DCT on super fast cars. The SV imo is in the middle, it’s fast but not all that. I think it’s setup is nicely executed as is, it would get boring just like the F12 did otherwise. The SV feels like a Lambo. In fact much like my se30. I don’t want to lose that feeling period.

I remember when I got a SL55 waaaaaay back in the day it, as I recall was the first car I had with paddles, well buttons to shift with. Was a fun idea but absolutely useless on that car, way ahead of its time. FWIW is one of my all time favorite cars I owned. My biz partner still has one I use when I go to Vegas.

My 3¢

I agree with 99.6573875% of your posts,

:lol2: that had me rolling, I wish I knew how you worked out the percentage on that one.

I understand exactly what you are saying and what Supercar Ace is saying (have a lot of respect for his opinions) but personally I think you are sacrificing otherwise a perfect car for perceived rawness, you can tune a DCT to kick hard, try the Performante in Corsa, that's the best gearbox setup I've experienced full stop, if they had a similar set up in the SV the car would be a 10 out of 10 for me, anyway that's just my opinion, also it would freak me out if we would all agree 100% of the time :icon_mrgreen:

I agree with Fortis , a dct would be great or at least something better than current drive train single clutch that is so clunky and annoyingly shudders plus previous sw was way better they screwed it up now with latest sw

:lol2: that had me rolling, I wish I knew how you worked out the percentage on that one.

I understand exactly what you are saying and what Supercar Ace is saying (have a lot of respect for his opinions) but personally I think you are sacrificing otherwise a perfect car for perceived rawness, you can tune a DCT to kick hard, try the Performante in Corsa, that's the best gearbox setup I've experienced full stop, if they had a similar set up in the SV the car would be a 10 out of 10 for me, anyway that's just my opinion, also it would freak me out if we would all agree 100% of the time :icon_mrgreen:

How I calculated it?

Easy, I read a lot! ;-)

I do agree with one thing you mentioned, they did calm down the “kick” in the SV compared to the 50 anniversary aventador I owned. The SV programming is a nice balance for what it is. I agree too much kick is awful. I never drove the 50th for that and other reasons. Same as early Gallardos, they sucked.

I’m all for DTC in some cars, especially cars your pushing hard. Your correct.

As always hope your good!

Best

Eric

when you hit it hard you can fell it in the steering wheel because it slightly turns in your hand. If this power plant had a more linear delivery without interruption it would be a phenomenal experience.

I have about 550 miles on mine... I have had E-gear and DCT cars in the past.

I agree with this statement and it is one of the things I like least about the Aventador. The nibble at the steering when on throttle is annoying. I think once I get used to it taking place and do not continue to be caught off guard by it, it will be better. However, with colder climates here, I do not think I am going to get much more driving in this year.

I am trying to find time to write a comparison on the Huracan 580 vs. 610 vs. Aventador as I have had all three in the last 18 months...

Mike

I have about 550 miles on mine... I have had E-gear and DCT cars in the past.

I agree with this statement and it is one of the things I like least about the Aventador. The nibble at the steering when on throttle is annoying. I think once I get used to it taking place and do not continue to be caught off guard by it, it will be better. However, with colder climates here, I do not think I am going to get much more driving in this year.

I am trying to find time to write a comparison on the Huracan 580 vs. 610 vs. Aventador as I have had all three in the last 18 months...

Mike

I’d love to read your review, I had a short time with the 580, not enough to form a proper opinion.

Fortis, on the track the single clutch is the s***. Essentially you want to be slapped around out there, at least for a handful of laps. Maybe for a 2 hour race it's a different story.

On the street the dual clutch is IMO better when just driving and not going all out, because it doesn't have the jerkiness of the single clutch. I've driven a few single clutch exotics on the street and didn't like them compared to a DSG on a VW GTI.

BTW, just comparing a regular stickshift to a traditional torque converter automatic, the joy of a manual is the shove you get on upshifts (that and the sound too). Faster upshifts by the pure physics removes the violence.

I wonder what it's like on a Tesla without a transmission. :lol2:

It all comes down to the car and user preference.

You know what would be brilliant?

If it was feasible to alter the shift speed/violence in the car itself. Don't know if that can be affected purely by programming.

Wouldn't have to be on the fly, just the ability to choose when you start the car.

Fortis, on the track the single clutch is the s***. Essentially you want to be slapped around out there, at least for a handful of laps. Maybe for a 2 hour race it's a different story.

On the street the dual clutch is IMO better when just driving and not going all out, because it doesn't have the jerkiness of the single clutch. I've driven a few single clutch exotics on the street and didn't like them compared to a DSG on a VW GTI.

BTW, just comparing a regular stickshift to a traditional torque converter automatic, the joy of a manual is the shove you get on upshifts (that and the sound too). Faster upshifts by the pure physics removes the violence.

I wonder what it's like on a Tesla without a transmission. :lol2:

It all comes down to the car and user preference.

I agree on the track a single clutch is no good, I didn’t consider that at all when I said what I did.

Also I’d imagine in cold climates it is a issue as well.

Good thread !

I dont think that lightweight is possible even with full carbon unibody but anything less than 1500kg will feel super light in that size car and engine even sub 1600 would be pretty good especially with ALA and all wheel steering.

Even with my humble design I have dropped weight in many cases 1/10 or 1/9 from original with carbon and carbon sandwitch core stuff.

But they are already quite light in that matter because I think about fifth of the car is already carbon and rest is aluminium. But carbon is not suitable for everything, engine still needs to be alloy and interior needs some cushions etc...

I have a fair amount of time (including tracking) with the Aventador and for me what I love is the single clutch feel. As LV mentioned, a lot of DCT cars are too smooth for my liking. For me when I'm driving that type of car I like a perpetual state of aggression from the car, it keeps me awake and engaged. You can't take the car for granted and have to keep a respect for it. I do know that the ISR has had the savagery toned down, especially from the 2012 Aventadors, but that element reminds me of the Lambo's of old in feeling and experience. Plus with the ISR being able to shift just as fast as a DCT (like .002 milliseconds slower) and save weight while delivering old school driving feel in a modern way, it makes the Aventador stand out even more from the crowd. My feeling is when the DCT comes to the replacement people might be begging to get the ISR back...I think it's greatly under-appreciated in it's time. Glad on my small soap box I have at least 1 friend with me :icon_mrgreen:

I agree, when the DCT comes to the V12 let's see how they execute it...it'll be interesting for sure. But it's all personal preference. :eusa_dance: