Next Lamborghini Huracan due in 2022 will be plug-in hybrid

sl55

The Lamborghini Huracán’s successor, due in 2022, will use a radical hybrid powertrain, featuring “next-generation” battery technology to minimise weight and give it the ability to run in electric-only mode.

The Italian supercar maker, which is well known for its reluctance to move away from naturally aspirated engines, has already confirmed a hybrid powertrain will be launched in its new SUV, the Urus.

The latter will be revealed in December, but no technical details or performance figures have been released yet.

The next Aventador, due before the second-generation Huracán, will retain its naturally aspirated V12 engine, so the Huracán’s successor will be the first Lamborghini sports car to be an advanced plug-in hybrid. Talking to Autocar, Lamborghini boss Stefano Domenicali said: “The [next] Huracán – that car will need hybridisation. Hybridisation is the answer, not [full] electric.”

Referring to its current engines, Domenicali said: “There is still a lot of potential for the V12. The right approach for us is to have the V10 and V12 to suit our customers and then be ready to switch [to a hybrid] at the right moment.”

Commercial boss Federico Foschini told Autocar earlier this year that there is currently little demand for hybridisation from its customers. “When they come to Lamborghini, they are asking for the power and performance of our naturally aspirated engines,” he said. “That’s why we have already decided that the next-generation V12 will stay naturally aspirated and it is one reason why the [Aventador] remains unique.”

Although these engines remain in the mid-term plan, Lamborghini is already heavily investing in the research and development of future powertrain technology for 2022 and beyond.

Last year, it announced a partnership with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) on a project that “intends to write an important page in the future of super-sports cars for the third millennium”. That project is likely to focus on lightweight composite materials, as well as alternative energy and battery storage techniques.

Research and development boss Maurizio Reggiani told Autocar last month that the key issues currently preventing the brand from integrating hybrid technology were focused around driving range, but he hoped to have a solution for a super-sports car within “four to five years”.

He said: “The issue today is the storage of energy. If I go to a track, I need to run all the laps that I want. But today, the problem is that if you go, you are only able to run one and a half laps [flat out].”

Reggiani said plug-in electric technology is still not effective enough for use in a supercar that can be driven at pace for long periods of time.“Imagine if you went to the Nordschleife with a hybrid. It will be faster on the 0-100km/h time [than non-hybrid cars] but it will not be faster over a lap – or at least won’t be able to do more laps,” he said.

Porsche, a Volkswagen Group stablemate of Lamborghini, has been investigating the use of lighter solid-state batteries for its future performance cars and Reggiani said this is something Lamborghini is considering. However, he believes the very different character of Lamborghini supercars means integrating tech from a sister brand won’t be as simple as it has been with the Urus.

“It’s easier in our first plug-in hybrid, the Urus, because the ambition of the car in terms of packaging and weight is not so difficult,” he said. “But this is one mission. It’s not the Lamborghini super-sports car mission.”

Reggiani said Lamborghini is working with multiple industry experts, including MIT, to investigate what type of battery system can offer the best answer to the hybrid challenge.

“We have different partnerships with the most important researchers in the world because we need to scout [for future ideas],” he said. “I think the new frontier of the super-sports car will move more and more tothe hybridisation, although there are still some questions relating to the weight and the packaging of the batteries.”

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars...-be-plug-hybrid

Note that Huracan will last for 8 years compared to Gallardo`s 11 years.

This means two things:

1. Facelift coming as soon as 2018/19.

2. Less special editions.

Also, no offroad rally version, because they have Urus for that.

EDIT:

Successor = essentially a proper mini 918 for the market, unlike erm, 2nd Gen NSX.

I don't get the technical challenge. Don't LaF, 918 and p1 already have battery solutions to support running track? Those cars are now 3-4 years old.

the whole thing sounds like an excuse. Lambo is behind the game due to its denial and unwillingness to spend on super car tech of the future. Instead, lambo milked its customers on special editions with decals instead of innovation. The whole NA is Lambo's DNA talk was a propaganda and now we are hearing another one.

Hybrid isn't the future. Electric is. If Lambo wants to be relevant in 20 years, it needs to go that route.

The day they will make an electric car is the day I will stop buying their cars.

:iamwithstupid:

I guess if Lamborghini does go full electric they can always add a sound effects package to give customers the illusion of a V-12 !!! :eusa_wall:

:iamwithstupid:

I guess if Lamborghini does go full electric they can always add a sound effects package to give customers the illusion of a V-12 !!! :eusa_wall:

Or fake exhaust noises through the speakers :eusa_wall:

Or fake exhaust noises through the speakers :eusa_wall:

Was text driving a new M3 I was planning to buy until I found out false exhaust notes come through the speakers. That broke the deal!

The day they will make an electric car is the day I will stop buying their cars.

Subscribing so I can come back years later and remind everybody who made this comment. If Lambo makes a hybrid car that looks freaking awesome and smokes the competition, 98% of you will be on the wagon.

There were a ton of people that said no way in hell they would want a new Ford GT if it didn't have a V-8. How many of those people do you think had to eat their words when it was announced??

Subscribing so I can come back years later and remind everybody who made this comment. If Lambo makes a hybrid car that looks freaking awesome and smokes the competition, 98% of you will be on the wagon.

There were a ton of people that said no way in hell they would want a new Ford GT if it didn't have a V-8. How many of those people do you think had to eat their words when it was announced??

Hybrid is different from electric, I said electric car as in full electric, if they have a hybrid drivetrain like the 918 I will not mind but if there is no howling coming through the rear exhaust pipes I am completely out.

Sign of the times.....how can any car company deny electric/hybrid....plus with the pressure of the EPA.

Sucks, but....Resistance is futile.

Pressure from the EPA...LOL! Once Pruitt gets done with it, cars won't need cats.