94 VT starting problem

rollingzep

I am having a major issue with my car. Starter may be on the way out. I added relay to the starter and still having issue. But I don't know if it is all starter problem. When I twist key nothing happens not a click or anything. The dash lights come on and battery is fully charged. When I turn the key and the radiator fans come on at least I get a click from solenoid and after a few attempts the car will start. But recently not even the fans turn on. So my question is once you turn key on do the radiator fans come on always? And if so what would cause the fans not to come on? I'm just hoping it's not the starter. I'm not ready to pull motor yet. I'm hoping maybe something stupid and silly like a ground problem. I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance

Fans shouldn't come on with just the key on, so it sounds like somebody's been messing with the wiring...Maybe other also? If you can get under the car, wack the starter with a plastic mallet. If it starts right away you can bet that's the problem.

Fans shouldn't come on with just the key on, so it sounds like somebody's been messing with the wiring...Maybe other also? If you can get under the car, wack the starter with a plastic mallet. If it starts right away you can bet that's the problem.

I did that already. Starter still did nothing. No click or anything. So I touched the battery post and switch at starter and starter spun. Then for the next week no issue with starter. Car turned over. Last night I take car for drive then again no start. First two three twists of the key I got a click then nothing. A few more twists and car started. Today the same thing. Now car doesn't start. I'm going to put car on lift and again touch the two posts to see if starter spins. It's driving me crazy.

Both of my cars do that too. I've installed the relay boost, but sometimes just a click two or three times, then they always start.

Well ....in regards to "stupid and simple"?

Are the battery cables tight and free of moisture?

Further info to ask...Do the headlights dim when you turn the key.

Good hunting.

Something is definitely not right, fans should not come on, fuel pump should be heard priming first, wait a few seconds then start.

If you do not hear fuel pumps prime, then you can disregard that it is a starter problem, as your bad connection or lack of power is before the pumps.

When I turn key fuel pumps prime, lights in dash turn on but headlights won't turn on. ??????? That's why I say if I hear fans turn on then I know at least I'll hear a click and since I did the starter relay boost car will eventually start. Has anyone ever had a problem with ignition switch? It's almost as if some things aren't getting juice to work such as headlights. With the key on the on position headlights should lift but they do t. I'm gonna put car on lift this week and check to see if I even get power to the starter. Can it be a ground problem? I remember once I had a bmw that would not do anything but as soon as I hooked up a ground cable from battery straight to block, the car started. I will try that as well. The other thing I don't get is I have a 1967 impala big block with original starter in ther and 160000 miles on original motor and the car crank every single time. How the heck did that starter hold up for 50 years and this one can't even make it to 23 years?

The other thing I don't get is I have a 1967 impala big block with original starter in ther and 160000 miles on original motor and the car crank every single time. How the heck did that starter hold up for 50 years and this one can't even make it to 23 years?

Don't go down this road with these line of questions, you won't like the replies ;)

So I got under car and again and tried everything to get it started. Nothing not even a click. I'm getting 12v to starter and I even tried jumping the terminals but no dice. So I decided to take starter out. What a pain. After a couple of hours of cursing and busted knuckles and even some more cursing I got starter out. I ended up doing what some others have done and cut the heat shield to get to starter. No way in heck was I yanking motor right now. Car would never get done then. I already have yanked motors on 308 and lotus esprit and it's been a couple years. The poor cars are neglected sitting in a corner. Don't want the same for diablo. Just not enough time and sometimes not enough motivation. I know I know it hurts value but I'm never selling car so if someone else decides to sell it after I die, don't care. I have a tests rosa now for 20 years it's been modified and it was never bought as or thought of as an investment. Neither is this car.

Anyways I'm going to go to have this starter rebuilt. One thing was taking it out. Putting it back in now is another question. I guess some more cursing and more knuckles bruised. I know a while back someone was talking about fitting in one of them mini starters, did anyone ever get around to it?

Wow didn't know it could be done without cutting something. I think 94-96 is the absolute last year you can do it with out an engine pull. Congrats on that. Sounds like that's the problem for sure.

Just got starter back in car. A lot easier to put in than take out. Car starts like a charm every time now. Best $152.44 I ever spent. While I was in there cleaned up all the grounds. This is a job I don't look forward to seeing for at least the next 23 years. A lot of bruised forearms and knuckles and fibreglass shards which will suck for the next few days.