Whats up with the price of used MP4-12C's?

el_chorizo

Been browsing ebay lately and I've been seeing that plenty of MP4-12C's can be had for just under $200k. Thats a big hit to take in a short time... is there something up that I don't know about? Cost of ownership really high? Reliability? Seems like a TON of car for that price.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been browsing ebay lately and I've been seeing that plenty of MP4-12C's can be had for just under $200k. Thats a big hit to take in a short time... is there something up that I don't know about? Cost of ownership really high? Reliability? Seems like a TON of car for that price.

Car isn't selling like they planned.

General public does not like the looks and sales show

Car isn't selling like they planned.

General public does not like the looks and sales show

That's strange. I think they look GREAT. Granted, I still prefer the LOOKS of the 458 (and the Huracan) but the rest of the McLaren is tough to beat!

They're also releasing a beefed up version of the 12C and then the lower model as well. I think the normal 12C is done with production, correct?

THey should beef up the looks department.

THey should beef up the looks department.

Haha they should make the HS the standard look. I don't know much about it but I just heard they're making basically their version of an SV or a Speciale, and that all normal 12C's will stop production for these.

best bang for the buck right now. also keep in mind that 200k mark has been the same for about a year now. the highly priced options are out the window, but the car has been steady for a while now.

buy a SP bumper and you wont be touched performance and looks wise IMO

It was not a sales success. Sure glad I sold mine, before this new residual killing version was announced.

Only two model years, and they've revamped their car ...... What's that tell you ??? :icon_mrgreen:

$280k MSRP LP570's are well below $200k as well.... these are not Ford GTs... :)

$280k MSRP LP570's are well below $200k as well.... these are not Ford GTs... :)

Nothing is like a GT when it comes to resale!!

Well below $200 is a stretch I think for an 11 570, maybe a higher mileage, low option car, questionable history car. A good bit are out of warranty now as well. Also, there are about 1/10 570's available compared to the Mac. ID take my slower, lower tech 570 ANY day over the Mac.

The problem with the Mac is that when its parked next to other's it just blends in too much. For 300K it just doesn't pop.

On the "driving" though, it is great. When we first saw it at the unveiling, my wife said it could pass for a Toyota!

The used market is quite a strange animal and it can differ from location to location depending on so many factors until it levels itself out, from new, firstly you lose the taxes, dealers margins, money spent on no cost options, followed by the usual depreciation percentage of a used item, then the popularity contest kicks in to settle the bottom line.

If the model is desirable supply and demand will always cause price fluctuations on the use market.

As a rule of thumb, you drive something off the showroom floor 40% is gone but if the product is fresh and the market release is done smartly (see Ferrari) your loss will be much lower but that's an anomaly not the norm.

The 570 sits on a 10 year old platform not a new latest and greatest two year old fresh product, the MP4 is a failure and it has everything to do with the way it looks and its sterility, McLaren should stop listening to dentists in white gowns and get a hot blooded Italian on board to show them how it's done. I am looking forward to seeing their SV version but if they don't improve the design and "roughen it up" a bit I am not sure how successful it will be.

Ford GT, unfair comparison, cult car built in limited numbers, the only place it can go is up and up.

Incredibly fast car for the money. I just got out of mine. Traded it in at $180k. MSRP was $280k. Thank heavens I didn't pay that! But someone who bought a loaded car at MSRP in the beginning of last year would have gotten destroyed on resale.

Also, I've been tracking the market closely for the last few months trying to sell mine. It's definitely taken a dive over that time. When I first listed, many cars were listed at $229. Now there's a bunch for sale in the high $180s. It's pretty brutal.

IMO the car just isn't exciting enough beyond the mind-bending speed. No joke, I'd take my 2009 560 over this car any day.

......... the MP4 is a failure and it has everything to do with the way it looks and its sterility, McLaren should stop listening to dentists in white gowns and get a hot blooded Italian on board to show them how it's done. I am looking forward to seeing their SV version but if they don't improve the design and "roughen it up" a bit I am not sure how successful it will be.

Fortis .... If this is the 'new version' ..... It doesn't seem anything more than a few tacked on cosmetic pieces.

There will be a private viewing in about one week for customers, and then the official intro in Geneva. I hope that this is not really their answer to "roughen it up", as you say.... LOL !!

post-251-1391211303.jpg

IMO the car just isn't exciting enough beyond the mind-bending speed. No joke, I'd take my 2009 560 over this car any day.

That's all you need to know about the MP4.

Webster I am pretty sure you've experienced few exciting cars in your life to know one when you see one. :turboalex:

Fortis .... If this is the 'new version' ..... It doesn't seem anything more than a few tacked on cosmetic pieces.

There will be a private viewing in about one week for customers, and then the official intro in Geneva. I hope that this is not really their answer to "roughen it up", as you say.... LOL !!

Lost for words, I meant roughened up in terms of driving feel not roughed up by a baseball bat!

At this stage they are stuck with the current design they can only improve on it, I still think it has a chance but for an exotic it has to be less conservative and more dramatic.

Boulevard cruisers DO NOT CARE about the wind tunnel!! I am pretty sure they will think, wind? tunnel? oh no, that will mess up my hair :icon_mrgreen:

I had my pick of 3 LP570's in the 170-185k range with 3k-10k miles....

I agree, I would never spend $300k on one, but at $200k or less it's amazing and blows everything else away shy of $1M+

Nothing is like a GT when it comes to resale!!

Well below $200 is a stretch I think for an 11 570, maybe a higher mileage, low option car, questionable history car. A good bit are out of warranty now as well. Also, there are about 1/10 570's available compared to the Mac. ID take my slower, lower tech 570 ANY day over the Mac.

The problem with the Mac is that when its parked next to other's it just blends in too much. For 300K it just doesn't pop.

On the "driving" though, it is great. When we first saw it at the unveiling, my wife said it could pass for a Toyota!

Whoa, I actually like the first 12C better than this.

Kinda digging the looks on the new MP4 but it still doesn't hold a candle to the 458 or the G.

I agree on the 458, I disagree on the G. I'm having a hard time liking the G's anymore, it looks very dated. The Huracan, on the other hand, looks amazing :)

im obviously not Webster or RB, but ive owned some pretty nice cars including CGT, GTT, GTR etc..

and this is my favorite all around exotic! the only area that needs a tiny bit of help IMO is the front.

for not much money you can SP/transform the car with a new bumper and a few other add ons.

then you have a track beast, badass looking exotic, date night car, DD, and anything else you can think of. (I had my 70lb labradoodle in the passenger seat Saturday for an hour) it really does everything right IMO

I got a great deal on my car. ive had it for about a year and im not far away from what I paid. most impt im enjoying the hell out of it.

heres a couple cool pics with bumper.

post-2228-1391452707_thumb.jpg

post-2228-1391452719.jpg

im obviously not Webster or RB, but ive owned some pretty nice cars including CGT, GTT, GTR etc..

All credibility lost. Even mentioning the CGT and GTT in the same sentence as a GTR should be enough for a ban.

Other than, I must say I love your Mac and yours is probably the main reason I am looking for one myself, it looks killer bro :eusa_dance: