must have garages

EyeDoc

In the design stage of building a new home. Thinking about 3100 sq ft garage with in ground car turntable. Since my GL550 and LP700 are the longest cars, considering a 16' turntable. I'm thinking power outlets close to the ground every 10' for battery tenders, minimum 12' ceilings (for car lift), etc, am I missing anything?

Anyone here have a turntable or experience with residential ones? Any other suggestions for the garage space. I'm hoping to be able to comfortably park 6 cars.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the design stage of building a new home. Thinking about 3100 sq ft garage with in ground car turntable. Since my GL550 and LP700 are the longest cars, considering a 16' turntable. I'm thinking power outlets close to the ground every 10' for battery tenders, minimum 12' ceilings (for car lift), etc, am I missing anything?

Anyone here have a turntable or experience with residential ones? Any other suggestions for the garage space. I'm hoping to be able to comfortably park 6 cars.

Doors installed with the railings as close to the ceiling as possible and the side lift openers should be part of it.

Doors installed with the railings as close to the ceiling as possible and the side lift openers should be part of it.

Absolutely a must especially with car lifts that he have. I'm looking for the Lamborghini crest to put in the center of turntable, like at the dealer. You can polyurethane over the top for a nice gloss look, like at the dealer. Any ideas where that crest can be purchased?

Water softener (stops water spots) Air Compressor Electrical Floor Box - all recessed lots of floor drains.

If you go epoxy use silicon beads to add some grip to the floor.

Light sensors vs switches and electric cord reels in the ceiling so when you have a little party cords are hidden.

The carousels are very cool but also a pia - you will most likely need race ramps on low cars.

I made one huge mistake by converting the doors to carriage doors - hard to pull in when it snows they can't open always needs adjusting etc.

Good luck

Water softener (stops water spots) Air Compressor Electrical Floor Box - all recessed lots of floor drains.

If you go epoxy use silicon beads to add some grip to the floor.

Light sensors vs switches and electric cord reels in the ceiling so when you have a little party cords are hidden.

The carousels are very cool but also a pia - you will most likely need race ramps on low cars.

I made one huge mistake by converting the doors to carriage doors - hard to pull in when it snows they can't open always needs adjusting etc.

Good luck

Great suggestions. Already learned about adding the silicon beads. We have stamped concrete and it is super slippery without the shark grit mixed with the sealer. Here are some pics that I've showed architect so he knows the direction I'm interested in going

Screenshot_2015_12_13_18_42_22.png

Screenshot_2014_10_11_09_06_51.png

Screenshot_2015_12_10_10_49_05.png

Are you wanting any cabinet, countertop space or storage?

In this garage no storage, just cars and a lounge area. We'll have storage and cabinetry in a separate building. What I really want is a showroom design with glass walls but it's too modern with the direction we are going with the house

Screenshot_2015_12_10_09_47_48.png

Do you need heat? The radiant heat floor is a must. Keeps the floor warm when working under the car, no forced air, no dust. Wash bay? Make sure you have 220v outlets and plan for more electric/gas engine cars in the future, so plan for charging stations.

post-15160-1450095144_thumb.jpg

In this garage no storage, just cars and a lounge area. We'll have storage and cabinetry in a separate building. What I really want is a showroom design with glass walls but it's too modern with the direction we are going with the house

Great shots ran into a similar problem - drawing plans to see how an underground lays out.

Glass is high maintenance plus the less people see the better.

Might want to consider GEO Thermal the tax credits are up to 30% in 8 years it pays for itself plus the new Bosch motors are silent.

Whatever you're doing, double the size. Listen to me when I say this......DOUBLE THE SIZE!!!

I promise you will not regret it. Trade any cool stuff or luxury items you have in your plans for sq ft.

Whatever your doing, double the size. Listen to me when I say this......DOUBLE THE SIZE!!!

I promise you will not regret it. Trade any cool stuff or luxury items you have in your plans for sq ft.

No joke... I thought when will I ever have more than 5 cars to show off???

Wow...

It's a sickness.

OP, good luck. Sounds like a fun project.

Mike

We are doing radiant heat for the house and heated driveway (a must where we live) but never considered radiant heating for garage...I need to look into that. As far as doubling the size, I agree but I'm having a hard time getting hubby on board. Love the look of the glass but it would also make the garage cold (and we are talking about Utah ).

Just finished up a garage for a private car collector. Had living quarters, turn table, LED lighting, wash Bay and all that stuff. I'll see if I can post some pictures up. Lighting is a big issue as well so make sure you chose wisely. You'll want a big sub panel in the garage if the main panels are not out there. And check with you're builder on code on how many cars you can have because it also changes the classification of the garage. Our inspector didn't like that he had so many cars sitting in the garage so we had to have 2 exhaust fans installed in the roof to vent the fumes, which you might want to do anyway.

Here is an idea that I really want to expand upon when I build my house. I like this garage, and it kind of reminds me of a classic Italian garage like you'd see at the Lamborghini or Ferrari factory. I think it's mainly the windowed doors that give it that feeling, but I like it. I'd probably build this into and L shape so that it would have 6 garage doors and more storage for cars. The inside would look a lot different though. Let me know what you think. :)

2h895px.jpg

Just finished up a garage for a private car collector. Had living quarters, turn table, LED lighting, wash Bay and all that stuff. I'll see if I can post some pictures up. Lighting is a big issue as well so make sure you chose wisely. You'll want a big sub panel in the garage if the main panels are not out there. And check with you're builder on code on how many cars you can have because it also changes the classification of the garage. Our inspector didn't like that he had so many cars sitting in the garage so we had to have 2 exhaust fans installed in the roof to vent the fumes, which you might want to do anyway.

Good point about lighting and exhaust fans. Thank you

Here is an idea that I really want to expand upon when I build my house. I like this garage, and it kind of reminds me of a classic Italian garage like you'd see at the Lamborghini or Ferrari factory. I think it's mainly the windowed doors that give it that feeling, but I like it. I'd probably build this into and L shape so that it would have 6 garage doors and more storage for cars. The inside would look a lot different though. Let me know what you think. :)

2h895px.jpg

love the glass garage door look. I wonder how heavy that door must be with the glass panels

love the glass garage door look. I wonder how heavy that door must be with the glass panels

Right? I'm pretty sure they're a type of plexi-glass, but I could be wrong.

Having 220 available in multiple locations is a must, especially for the lifts.

Lighting is huge, and spend the $$ on bulbs with a very high CRI (color rendering index) it will keep everything from looking washed out. Don't be afraid of recessed fluorescent lighting, it isn't as hip as can lights but you get A LOT more light power and distribution. I have six 8' (4x T8 bulbs) fluorsecent lights in my garage (just under 1k sq/ft) and it's a great amount of light. I would have needed about 75 recessed can lights at 90w each to get the equivalent light output. The only downside is they aren't dimmable (if that matters to you) but you can stagger them on separate switches easy enough.

Put in more outlets than you think you will need.

Liftmaster 8500 jackshaft openers.

Think about a utility closet with a small air compressor (10 gallon) and pulling some air drops. I know it isn't a "working" garage, but the lifts might have options for air locks which is nice. And even when washing your cars, having the ability to blow things off or air up a low tire is nice.

I'll second the idea of a wash bay with treated water. They have "shower curtains" on tracks so you can enclose the bay with no overspray.

For cleanup I like polished and sealed concrete mainly because you can squeegee it. Epoxy is great if it doesn't have the flakes (for cleanup) but it can be slippery as shit when wet.

I actually designed a few things for a place in SoCal with a turntable (Carousel model), it wasn't cheap but this one actually worked pretty well. I still think I would skip it unless the property layout mandates it. In this instance they were doing an underground garage on a beachfront house and were really confined width wise so they kinda had no choice. If you get one, buy it bigger than you think you will need, 16' is not that big and it's relatively inexpensive to move up to the 18' (all other things considered).

Talk to your architect about having the garage doors and tracks go into an empty space OVER the finished ceiling so they are completely out of sight when up. You can also get the garage door openers up into this space and hidden. You're essentially dropping the ceiling in this area by about 6" but in the end you'll end up with the same overhead space and it looks a lot cleaner. But you'll definitely need good attic access for any repairs in the future. :icon_thumleft:

Hot and cold running water (including the spotless water treatment). We use CR Spotless and it works incredibly well.

Even if not a working garage - if you'll entertain it's nice to have hot & cold water. If you do have a wash bay - hot water is important, especially in a place with cold weather.