Test drove an SLS

Allan-Herbie

I am a huge fan of the SLS, especially in white/red interior. After driving it, I can see why some people buy them and get rid of them quickly. First of all, getting in and out is a bit of a pain in the ass. The car is also cramped inside. I could not put the seat back far enough to get completely comfortable. As a daily driver those reasons, combined with a harsh ride make it less than ideal. The power is good, although off the line, it suffers from SLR syndrome and cant put the power down at all. 60mph and traction control is still kicking in. A GTR would kill it down low, on the hwy the SLS felt faster than the GTR in stock form. The SLS transmission is also very smooth and fast, and none of the crazy noises coming through like in the GTR. The interior in the SLS is nice, but nothing over the top.

So inmo, as a daily driver the SLS is a fail. Even the rough riding GTR is a better choice.

As a canyon carving/gofast car, its also a fail as a Gallardo/Porsche/ even GTR is more exciting.

As a third car, the one you take the wife to the Four Seasons in, the SLS is a win. I still like the car, but don't know if I will be running to buy one.

^Fully concur. The SLS is a neither nor --- too refined to have the raw rush but not enough refinement to feel sophisticated/special either. I actually test-drove it 3 times and on 3 very different routes but just can't find a reason to like the car. The wife/GF will hate you for taking her to the posh hotel in this car --- all eyes will focus on car and waiting to see who gets out from it only to see her struggling to climb out in a most non-elegant fashion; worse if she was wearing a dress. True that you do that in a Lambo too but at least she is in a Lambo.

The funniest part is a driver with a small physique. Once sat in, he would have a hard time reaching up to pull the doors down. I once saw a tiny guy dressed like a douche; the valet pulls up his SLS and he talked and acted in a manner that demanded attention; but after he sat in the driver seat, tried as he might he just can't reach to pull the door down. Ended up the valet has to close the door for him and everyone nearby just bursted out in laughter.

I drove an SLS vert and liked it quite a bit. It wasnt the most roomy car, although I fit in it fine at 6'4". My wife liked it even more than I did. Its a great cruiser, fast in the straight line, and sounds great. I can see us having one at some point, but its not the most exciting car in the world, and we both prefer the DBS over it for a GT.

I am a huge fan of the SLS, especially in white/red interior. After driving it, I can see why some people buy them and get rid of them quickly. First of all, getting in and out is a bit of a pain in the ass. The car is also cramped inside. I could not put the seat back far enough to get completely comfortable. As a daily driver those reasons, combined with a harsh ride make it less than ideal. The power is good, although off the line, it suffers from SLR syndrome and cant put the power down at all. 60mph and traction control is still kicking in. A GTR would kill it down low, on the hwy the SLS felt faster than the GTR in stock form. The SLS transmission is also very smooth and fast, and none of the crazy noises coming through like in the GTR. The interior in the SLS is nice, but nothing over the top.

So inmo, as a daily driver the SLS is a fail. Even the rough riding GTR is a better choice.

As a canyon carving/gofast car, its also a fail as a Gallardo/Porsche/ even GTR is more exciting.

As a third car, the one you take the wife to the Four Seasons in, the SLS is a win. I still like the car, but don't know if I will be running to buy one.

not having driven one I'm not a fan of the look in or out as I have seen in person, personally I liked your penis much better. Have you thought about another one of those ? maybe in a roadster ? Those look nice.

not having driven one I'm not a fan of the look in or out as I have seen in person, personally I liked your penis much better. Have you thought about another one of those ? maybe in a roadster ? Those look nice.

We dont hear from you in months, only to have you come on here and tell everyone you like my Penis.

they are so dull looking unless you go for the BS....

Mercedes-Benz-SLS_AMG_Black_Series_2014_

2013-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-black-series-

I think they are nice. I love the doors. A white/red interior with some nice wheels would be good enough for me. We drove a black one.

1005247_10200339268910703_1232586906_n.jpg

1146569_10200340474380839_1240852664_n.jpg

954890_10200340465900627_2107799607_n.jpg

21428_10200340479740973_1641599303_n.jpg

^Fully concur. The SLS is a neither nor --- too refined to have the raw rush but not enough refinement to feel sophisticated/special either. I actually test-drove it 3 times and on 3 very different routes but just can't find a reason to like the car. The wife/GF will hate you for taking her to the posh hotel in this car --- all eyes will focus on car and waiting to see who gets out from it only to see her struggling to climb out in a most non-elegant fashion; worse if she was wearing a dress. True that you do that in a Lambo too but at least she is in a Lambo.

The funniest part is a driver with a small physique. Once sat in, he would have a hard time reaching up to pull the doors down. I once saw a tiny guy dressed like a douche; the valet pulls up his SLS and he talked and acted in a manner that demanded attention; but after he sat in the driver seat, tried as he might he just can't reach to pull the door down. Ended up the valet has to close the door for him and everyone nearby just bursted out in laughter.

My wife ran into the door issue, but quickly figured out to just pull down as she is getting in as well. She actually liked the car. Tough call though.. This or a nice similarly priced Gallardo Spider 6 speed. The SLS maybe another SLR. Not really paid attention to in the beginning but appreciated by many once prices fall.

My wife ran into the door issue, but quickly figured out to just pull down as she is getting in as well. She actually liked the car. Tough call though.. This or a nice similarly priced Gallardo Spider 6 speed. The SLS maybe another SLR. Not really paid attention to in the beginning but appreciated by many once prices fall.

Total fail car....ugly, it's neither a GT or an all out sports car. Great engine, doors are annoying, cramped interior. So many other options. I think they will be very cheap soon.

Total fail car....ugly, it's neither a GT or an all out sports car. Great engine, doors are annoying, cramped interior. So many other options. I think they will be very cheap soon.

I hope they will be.. then I will buy one.

Nail on the head. Agree 100%. I understand why they are dirt-cheap.

I like them. Think they look great all around and would be a cool DD for me. But at $140k ish there are too many other things I would want.

i really like the look of these, and like how low one sits in them. however, i've never driven it, so can't comment. at 6ft7, i had a lot of space, which is obviously a massive plus.

We dont hear from you in months, only to have you come on here and tell everyone you like my Penis.

lol I like the way you edited that.....someone has had me working all the time. I don't have fcuk off time like you. :monkeyleft:

lol I like the way you edited that.....someone has had me working all the time. I don't have fcuk off time like you. :monkeyleft:

Well wtf! Get back to work slacker!

I love the way the standard SLS looks. I don't like all the gofast parts they added for the BS. It just doesn't fit with the car in my opinion. While those gullwing doors may be a pain in the ass damn do they look good. It is a bummer that Allan didn't find it very comfortable because it should be an excellent daily driver or road tripper. Get in, shut your doors and head off to the 4 Seasons downtown or 3 states away with plenty of power AND class.

White with the Red/CF interior is TITS!

The slr vert for not much more money blows the sls away in road presence and coolness factor. Only disappointment is the lack of an infotainment system in a gt that sold new for over 500k. Also I guess from what the owners say the service costs on an out of warranty slr is way over the top.