Slow shifts on Aventador LP700-4

SiamBeast

Hi guys, first post here. I just acquired my first supercar, a 2012 Aventador LP700-4 with just short of 4,000 km on the counter.

So far, I'm pretty impressed by the driving, and it is a head turner on the streets. Only thing that I believe to be an issue, the specs advertise a 50 ms gear change, but when I drive in automatic mode and accelerate, the gear shift takes nearly 1 second, during which I am unable to accelerate. So if that happens at 50 km/h, then I'm stuck at that speed for around 1 second (sometimes a bit more) while the gear changes. The gear change with the paddleshift takes around half a second.

I've tried lifting my foot during the gear change, but it doesn't seem to change anything - and it happens on all 3 modes. I'm wondering whether I should get the car checked, or if you have similar experience with the car.

Congrats on your lovely ride. Put it in corsa mode, floor it and than try up shifting. That bang you'll get from up shifting will feel like 50 milliseconds

1) no one drives this car in automatic. That's a last resort setting if you need your hands free. Seriously, just don't.

2) always drive it in corsa for the full performance. Full throttle shifts in corsa will give you the 50ms gear changes you are looking for.

3) if this is not to your taste, consider a civilized car like a Ferrari 488, Aston Martin, Maserati, Bentley or Porsche.

Lamborghini's flagship is all about drama and all about "corsa mode". If you want smooth with creature comforts look at the Huracan. It is smaller, weighs less, better visibility, easier to drive and has a dual clutch transmission. You lose just about all the soul of the big bull, though.

Also make sure the oil temperature is good before you rev the engine. The rev limiter will increase as the oil gets warmer. Look for the red line to hit the 8500 rpm mark before doing heavy acceleration.

Good advice - I'll try it on Corsa tomorrow and update you with the results.

I only use the automatic mode in small streets because it feels less "bumpy" - my first supercar, so I still have a lot to learn

As for the "civilized car", I also own a Porsche Panamera that I take when the relatives come over.

1) no one drives this car in automatic. That's a last resort setting if you need your hands free. Seriously, just don't.

2) always drive it in corsa for the full performance. Full throttle shifts in corsa will give you the 50ms gear changes you are looking for.

3) if this is not to your taste, consider a civilized car like a Ferrari 488, Aston Martin, Maserati, Bentley or Porsche.

Lamborghini's flagship is all about drama and all about "corsa mode". If you want smooth with creature comforts look at the Huracan. It is smaller, weighs less, better visibility, easier to drive and has a dual clutch transmission. You lose just about all the soul of the big bull, though.

" all about drama" :icon_thumleft:

Looks like you guys are right. I was able to try the car in Corsa mode on the highway and was able to make it shift very quick. I believe I just wasn't beating it hard enough.

The downside of Bangkok is the terrible traffic in the daytime, but the upside is when you go on the highway in the evening, you can drive as fast as you can in Corsa mode without fear of getting a ticket.

Looks like you guys are right. I was able to try the car in Corsa mode on the highway and was able to make it shift very quick. I believe I just wasn't beating it hard enough.

The downside of Bangkok is the terrible traffic in the daytime, but the upside is when you go on the highway in the evening, you can drive as fast as you can in Corsa mode without fear of getting a ticket.

Post some pictures of it! And enjoy and be safe!

With pleasure. In the showroom the car had ugly lime green seats, I had them changed to black - for some reason, I have trouble with interiors who are any other color than black.

20170112_133443.jpg

20170112_133456.jpg

20170112_133457.jpg

20170112_133553.jpg

20170112_133603.jpg

20170112_133700.jpg

20170112_133725.jpg

Just wondering if anyone had the same problem: from time to time, when I start the engine, I heard the usual sound, followed by the loud "vroom", then the RPM goes back to 0 and the engine stops. I sometimes have to try 2 or 3 times before the engine stays on and I can drive away. When this happens, a small yellow light with an engine symbol appears.

Just wondering if anyone had the same problem: from time to time, when I start the engine, I heard the usual sound, followed by the loud "vroom", then the RPM goes back to 0 and the engine stops. I sometimes have to try 2 or 3 times before the engine stays on and I can drive away. When this happens, a small yellow light with an engine symbol appears.

Your thumb has to stay firmly pressed on the start button until the car fully starts, in my other cars I just push the start button once then the car will start, I was doing the same in the SV and the car wouldn't start or play up, now I keep my finger there until the damn thing starts.

Your thumb has to stay firmly pressed on the start button until the car fully starts, in my other cars I just push the start button once then the car will start, I was doing the same in the SV and the car wouldn't start or play up, now I keep my finger there until the damn thing starts.

Yes you have to push more than once. But that is not acceptable at all. Not for what you pay. This is a common problem with Aventadors including SV: you have to press sometimes (or often more) than once on the start button to start car. Mine had to have starter and other things changed (can't remember) etc to fix that problem. Hope yours is still under warranty. The mechanic here told me to avoid pressing too long as it causes some problem I don't know what as I video taped it so many times to show the factory. Of course, the factory or the area manager in APAC will always deny that -it seems to be the modus operandi of some Lamborghini people, deny deny deny like the fire hazard etc. Thank God they are changing him soon I heard. Hopefully the new guy will not blame the customer and address problems like that for good. But rest assured, you are not the only owner with this chronic problem. Again, complain to the factory and maybe they will do something to assist.

I don't usually post anything here but I've decided to alert owners on certain problems that I am quite familiar with to force the factory to get its act together, fix the damn problems in their 'supercars' and address design or chronic problems because factory (or some people there) seem to like to deny and only going public (media which I haven't done yet) or have owners complain en mass will force them to act.

Hope it helps

Yes you have to push more than once. But that is not acceptable at all. Not for what you pay. This is a common problem with Aventadors including SV: you have to press sometimes (or often more) than once on the start button to start car. Mine had to have starter and other things changed (can't remember) etc to fix that problem. Hope yours is still under warranty. The mechanic here told me to avoid pressing too long as it causes some problem I don't know what as I video taped it so many times to show the factory. Of course, the factory or the area manager in APAC will always deny that -it seems to be the modus operandi of some Lamborghini people, deny deny deny like the fire hazard etc. Thank God they are changing him soon I heard. Hopefully the new guy will not blame the customer and address problems like that for good. But rest assured, you are not the only owner with this chronic problem. Again, complain to the factory and maybe they will do something to assist.

I don't usually post anything here but I've decided to alert owners on certain problems that I am quite familiar with to force the factory to get its act together, fix the damn problems in their 'supercars' and address design or chronic problems because factory (or some people there) seem to like to deny and only going public (media which I haven't done yet) or have owners complain en mass will force them to act.

Hope it helps

thanks for sharing

On a side note, for the first time I put it in sports mode and left it in auto, boy oh boy is it so much more livelier in terms of shifting and sound. She sure does dance.

I'll try today to leave my finger a bit longer on the start button, at least until the car fully starts and update you guys. You are right - that's unacceptable for a $900,000 car but fortunately I took an additional warranty that is still valid for 3 years, so I just have to turn the car to the dealership and they'll take care of it.

Hope it helps

I actually don't think it's an issue, not for me anyway, it's the way the start button is setup, first it gets the pumps going then starts the engine so if you only push it briefly and remove your finger it doesn't go through the entire cycle.

You seem to be very unhappy with Lamborghini, if I felt like you I wouldn't buy any of their cars.

I actually don't think it's an issue, not for me anyway, it's the way the start button is setup, first it gets the pumps going then starts the engine so if you only push it briefly and remove your finger it doesn't go through the entire cycle.

You seem to be very unhappy with Lamborghini, if I felt like you I wouldn't buy any of their cars.

It's good you don't find that an issue -maybe it's been fixed in later cars like your lovely SV.

You are right. I am very unhappy with Lamborghini. You can be sure that I won't be rushing to buy anymore now - I have enough problems to deal with ATM, as you well know lol..

My problem with the start button first happened 3 years ago when I got my A roadster. I expect to press only once for the car to start. No matter how long I kept my finger on the button (and I kept it pressed sometimes for a few minutes to video tape the exercise which I did many times and sent it to the factory to assist the R&D) the car would not start unless I pressed it again. The mechanic in Sydney fixed it after changing some parts that I can't recall as I'm no techo. Now the car is in good shape and drives better and smoother than my new SV R.

This problem now happens only sometimes in my lovely SV but I am used to it and have a battery charger always connected when it's parked to assist.

One owner of a new SV here recently could not even get his car in first gear so he had to have it towed and a new ECU installed amongst other things. Other owners have had numerous problems, I see their cars getting repaired all the time and we talk about that openly here but it's not publicised for obvious reasons so they can one day sell their cars.

As much as I love the look of the car and the sound, I hate certain design and mechanical problems and I definitely want the factory to fix them whatever it takes.

I expect a certain unreliability and some mechanical problems with Lambos but not that many problems. ' It's not a Toyota' one of their top executives used to say to me repeatedly - the after sales guy used to get upset with him for saying it to me so bluntly but at least he was honest and I respect him for it.

I hate Lamborghini's attempts to deny obvious problems (like that fire hazard which Lamborghini kept denying for years after many Aventadors burnt, hopefully nobody died, including one here in Australia on the track that was covered by the media, and it is still there now despite the recent recall), chronic shudder and other mechanical problems etc that I also hope you and other owners will never have to endure -especially in a brand new top of the range expensive 'supercar'.

Plus you constantly have to worry about the car falling to bits every time you take it on the track - I take it there anyway- especially when the Lambo techos confide in you that you really should avoid taking it on the track and avoid using launch control etc (I use launch control all the time in my Porsche and never have any problem at all) and so on.. WTF: Avoid the track in a supercar! What's the point? And what kind of a 'supercar' is that? What a f.....g joke!

On a positive note, It is still a very good looking car.