Player 1

69.9% for 3,705 yards @ 247/game 34/9 TD/INT for 113.2 rating

Player 2

65.6% for 4,381 yards @ 274/game 38/5 TD/INT for 112.2 rating

Player 3

69.2% for 4,952 yards @ 310/game 33/17 TD/INT for 97.0 rating

Player 4

67.1% for 4,952 yards @ 310/game 32/9 TD/INT for 103.3 rating

Who gets the MVP and why (sticking with a QB for now)?

But can an MVP come from a team that doesn't even make the playoffs? I have to give it to Rodgers.

I would say yes. MVP is the MVP to the LEAGUE. Not just to their team. 4 QBs put up very similar stats. Watt made the league much more enjoyable to watch, gave them an amazing story in light of all of the crap going on AND made the Texans entertaining even though they sucked....oh and they still ALMOST made the playoffs. You swap those 4 Qbs around between their teams and I bet the teams finishes within a game +/- of their current record. You replace Watt and the Texans blow and the other team gets an instant upgrade. No other player can say that as well as he can this year.

The football purist in me wants to see a non QB get it. It was refreshing to see Adrian Peterson get it two years ago for his 2000+ yard season.

He got it mostly because the Vikings did make the playoffs, and he accomplished that yardage figure running against 8 and 9 man boxes the entire season with average QB play from Christian Ponder. Had Frank Gore gotten the Niners to the playoffs in 2006, maybe he could have gotten MVP for his 2000+ scrimmage yards that season.

As for Watt, I tend to agree that the pessimism towards him not getting the MVP is justified given the fact that the Texans didn't make the playoffs. They went 2-14 last year with a similarly dominant season from him as well.

Historically there have been only two MVPs that were defensive players -- Alan Page, Vikings 1971, and Lawrence Taylor, Giants, 1986. Pretty rare company. I was surprised when looking it up that it hasn't happened more often (Reggie White comes to mind).

The stats for Watt this season do measure up, and if reputation has anything to do with it then he would deserve it for his consistency since 2012.

By and large this is an offensive award, and I cannot recall a wide receiver getting the award -- Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens all have had monster seasons/hall of fame careers, and I don't think they had any MVPs to my knowledge.

I would say yes. MVP is the MVP to the LEAGUE. Not just to their team. 4 QBs put up very similar stats. Watt made the league much more enjoyable to watch, gave them an amazing story in light of all of the crap going on AND made the Texans entertaining even though they sucked....oh and they still ALMOST made the playoffs. You swap those 4 Qbs around between their teams and I bet the teams finishes within a game +/- of their current record. You replace Watt and the Texans blow and the other team gets an instant upgrade. No other player can say that as well as he can this year.

The NFL cannot even get Defensive Player of the Year right half the time, so don't get your hopes up.

Gronk

Hahaha. He is a beast but come on. There are a half dozen other beasts at the TE position. He might be the best TE but he isn't an MVP. He does make Brady look a lot better though.

The NFL cannot even get Defensive Player of the Year right half the time, so don't get your hopes up.

That's cause idiots like Peter King get to vote on it. I can't believe he still has a press pass after the BS he pulled with what Roger did/didn't know on Ray Rice.

Player 1

69.9% for 3,705 yards @ 247/game 34/9 TD/INT for 113.2 rating

Player 2

65.6% for 4,381 yards @ 274/game 38/5 TD/INT for 112.2 rating

Player 3

69.2% for 4,952 yards @ 310/game 33/17 TD/INT for 97.0 rating

Player 4

67.1% for 4,952 yards @ 310/game 32/9 TD/INT for 103.3 rating

Who gets the MVP and why (sticking with a QB for now)?

Romo is only in the first spot because he has Murray, a beast of a TE and some of the best offense in the league. Rodgers has none of that. He's been carrying his team pretty much the entire season and still came out second to Romo. And are you telling me his performance in Sunday's game wasn't MVP material? 38 TD passes, and only 5 interceptions. Out of 520 pass attempts. He throws interceptions 0.96 percent of the time. The Packers had the #1 turnover differential in the NFL because of Rodgers. They are the #2 seed with a bye week...because of Rodgers.

If JJ doesn't get it this year, then I think it's safe to say that no defensive player ever will from here on out. He gives 110% every play and trains like no other. His insane work ethic lead to an insane season.

Romo is only in the first spot because he has Murray, a beast of a TE and some of the best offense in the league. Rodgers has none of that. He's been carrying his team pretty much the entire season and still came out second to Romo. And are you telling me his performance in Sunday's game wasn't MVP material? 38 TD passes, and only 5 interceptions. Out of 520 pass attempts. He throws interceptions 0.96 percent of the time. The Packers had the #1 turnover differential in the NFL because of Rodgers. They are the #2 seed with a bye week...because of Rodgers.

I think most would agree that Rodgers is better than Romo (and maybe just about all other NFL QBs), so on the virtual basis of pure QB play sure he is better.

Without Rodgers, the Packers are not a top NFC team IMHO (a good but not great team). They were first exposed by the Giants in the playoffs in 2011, and then have lost two straight playoff games to the 49ers, and now have two straight regular season losses to the Seahawks -- and they haven't won a playoff game since their last Super Bowl win 4 years ago.

It takes a whole team to go far in the postseason (thankfully), but could you imagine if Rodgers was on the Houston Texans? Instant AFC favorite.

BTW, I think the Cowboys have the most dangerous offense in terms of balance across the entire league. Winning in Seattle wasn't a fluke. Can it happen again? Not sure, but I'd put my money on them winning up there before Green Bay.

If JJ doesn't get it this year, then I think it's safe to say that no defensive player ever will from here on out. He gives 110% every play and trains like no other. His insane work ethic lead to an insane season.

Well defense just isn't being treated with the same respect it used to from this league. The average fan cares more about high scoring and fantasy than a hard fought 13-10 dogfight, so naturally they will diminish defensive accomplishments.

It pisses me off. We need those days back when championships could be won with average QBs. :icon_mrgreen:

I think they have to give it to Watt because you're right, it will never happen in the future otherwise. Offensive and defensive TDs...on top of 20.5 sacks.....damn, what more do you have to do!

Don't worry guys, sites like Pro Football Focus and Football Outsiders have considered him the #1 player in the league two straight years. :icon_thumleft:

That list was illustrating my point that all 4 of those guys (Romo/Roethlisberger/Rogers/Brees) all have very similar stats. Not one of those guys stood head and shoulders above the others and all 4 of them could swap teams and we would see a very similar record posted.

No QB played that well above the rest of the competition to deserve an MVP award this year.

It pisses me off. We need those days back when championships could be won with average QBs. :icon_mrgreen:

More Trent Dilfers winning Superbowls....no thanks. ;)

Hahaha. He is a beast but come on. There are a half dozen other beasts at the TE position. He might be the best TE but he isn't an MVP. He does make Brady look a lot better though.

He is the best TE ever. No other TE even comes close. No one else is on his level.

Regardless the only reason I went Gronk is because Brady has won that title enough, might as well pass the award around the patriots.

1. Brady

2. Rodgers

3. Gronk

4. Demarco Murray/ Marshawn Lynch.

JJ is great but for some reason the MVP can't be on d.

He is the best TE ever. No other TE even comes close. No one else is on his level.

Regardless the only reason I went Gronk is because Brady has won that title enough, might as well pass the award around the patriots.

1. Brady

2. Rodgers

3. Gronk

Gronk wasn't even the best TE last year according to the rankings (I do think he is the best TE in the game though)! Brady as the best QB? He wasn't even on the list of 4 that I posted earlier. I'd give the award to Roethlisberger before Brady this year (I am a Steeler's fan for transparency) and the numbers back me up. Murray/Lynch? Murray may have outrushed Bell but Bell out performed Murray on total offense, they had the same yards per carry and Bell didn't fumble once. As for Lynch...Bell out performed him in every category they measure.

I won't even throw Brown in the race as he and Thomas had very similar stats and if you swap them I am sure they would still produce very similar stats.

1. Watt

2. Rodgers

3. Bell

Gronk wasn't even the best TE last year according to the rankings (I do think he is the best TE in the game though)! Brady as the best QB? He wasn't even on the list of 4 that I posted earlier. I'd give the award to Roethlisberger before Brady this year (I am a Steeler's fan for transparency) and the numbers back me up. Murray/Lynch? Murray may have outrushed Bell but Bell out performed Murray on total offense, they had the same yards per carry and Bell didn't fumble once. As for Lynch...Bell out performed him in every category they measure.

I won't even throw Brown in the race as he and Thomas had very similar stats and if you swap them I am sure they would still produce very similar stats.

1. Watt

2. Rodgers

3. Bell

Gronk didn't play for half of the year last year, lol. Brady is number four right now based on regular season rankings, behind peyton (who always fucks up), Rodgers (his only other match) and Romo (lol). Romo has almost 100 less passing attempts than the others. Let's not forget that Brady and the Patriots have won six straight division titles and the guy has won the AFC east 12 out of 14 seasons.

Watt is good, sure, but he is not on a winning team. MVP really should just go to someone on the winning team.

All QBs in the hunt are good no doubt. My argument is this.....it takes a lot more work to influence the game when you are not guaranteed to be in a play 100% of the time.

When a player on D plays as good as Watt has all season....you gotta give it to them.

Full disclosure...I'm a Texans fan.

I think Rodgers is going to get it

Gronk didn't play for half of the year last year, lol. Brady is number four right now based on regular season rankings, behind peyton (who always fucks up), Rodgers (his only other match) and Romo (lol). Romo has almost 100 less passing attempts than the others. Let's not forget that Brady and the Patriots have won six straight division titles and the guy has won the AFC east 12 out of 14 seasons.

Watt is good, sure, but he is not on a winning team. MVP really should just go to someone on the winning team.

Past performance has nothing to do with the MVP award. It is and should be based on the current season alone....who cares that Peyton always chokes in the playoffs, Roethlisberger played better than Brady and some would argue better than Rodgers (Rogers is only in this because of his ridiculously low INT numbers), and again Brady and the Pats past means nothing to this years award.

I agree that not being on a winning team is problematic and I don't have a solid answer for you there. I just think the Texans would have been in the running for the #1 Draft pick had they not had Watt and his impact on the game from the defensive side...especially in this offensive dominated playing error...is unreal.

All QBs in the hunt are good no doubt. My argument is this.....it takes a lot more work to influence the game when you are not guaranteed to be in a play 100% of the time.

When a player on D plays as good as Watt has all season....you gotta give it to them.

Full disclosure...I'm a Texans fan.

I think Rodgers is going to get it

Bingo!

I'm glad I started this thread. I was worried it was going to turn into a "my team is the best and your sucks" but everyone is discussing this in a nice manner.

Let's jump into the other major awards while we are here:

Offensive Player of the Year: The homer in me says Brown or Bell cause they had historically great seasons. I think I have to give this to Rodgers because of the low INT numbers.

Defensive Player of the Year: Come on...its Watt

Offensive Rookie of the Year: I think Beckham gets it especially in light of his dominating performance in the few games he played. The only caveat I have is that Evans was equally impressive over a full season, has a higher YPC average and didn't have Manning throwing to him. Hell I can't even name the Bucs QB off the top of my head.

Defensive Rookie of the Year: I was tempted to say Mack just because the kid out of Oakland is getting so much press but the numbers don't back it up. Mosely was a straight BEAST this year and I didn't catch it until I reviewed all of the stats. Led the rooks by far and away in tackles plus he forced a fumble, picked two passes and sacked the QB 3 times. The kid is going to terrorize the NFL and the AFC North for the next few years for sure.

Coach of the Year: My front runner was Arians out in AZ but they crapped the bed at the end of the season. Narrow wins against STL and KC kept them from finishing 0-6 over the last 6 games. I still think it is his to loose but I wouldn't be surprised to see Garrett in here. Finally punched the Cowboys through December and into the playoffs with a Division Title. They gathered steam at exactly the same time AZ was dropping games.

Exec of the Year: Unsure

Comeback Player of the Year: My vote is for Carson Palmer. I know he is on IR after the devastating knee injury but man he tore it up (hahaha) before he tore it up. You can't tell me the Cards wouldn't be NFC favorites if he was still at the helm.

More Trent Dilfers winning Superbowls....no thanks. ;)

You're a Steelers fan right?

You should be a fan of defense.

1. Brady

2. Rodgers

3. Gronk

Gronkowski is great but undisputed GOAT is a bit much. Especially when you consider how often he gets hurt.

Tony Gonzalez, Jason Witten, Vernon Davis and Jimmy Graham are legit competition of the new school without touching old school guys like Shannon Sharpe.

Gonzalez and Witten have been around forever and caught a billion passes. Jimmy Graham is similar to Gronk. Vernon Davis is an elite run blocker and is faster than most wide receivers in this league.

I can sit here and make an argument that a guy like Davis who is not a natural pass catcher by any means compared to all of these other guys has had ridiculous production over the last few years in SF offenses that aren't on the caliber of these other teams and is better than Gronk.

Just look at Davis' 2011 and 2012 post season #s and return back with a TE who has done better. :icon_mrgreen:

I feel that a healthy Gronk is still a better overall TE (esp. this year being subpar for Vernon), but not by much.

You also have to factor in QBs....never an easy discussion. Randy Moss was in his prime in the late '90s, early '00s, but didn't break the TD record until he played with Brady in '07.

I'm glad I started this thread. I was worried it was going to turn into a "my team is the best and your sucks" but everyone is discussing this in a nice manner.

Let's jump into the other major awards while we are here:

Offensive Player of the Year: The homer in me says Brown or Bell cause they had historically great seasons. I think I have to give this to Rodgers because of the low INT numbers.

Defensive Player of the Year: Come on...its Watt

Offensive Rookie of the Year: I think Beckham gets it especially in light of his dominating performance in the few games he played. The only caveat I have is that Evans was equally impressive over a full season, has a higher YPC average and didn't have Manning throwing to him. Hell I can't even name the Bucs QB off the top of my head.

Defensive Rookie of the Year: I was tempted to say Mack just because the kid out of Oakland is getting so much press but the numbers don't back it up. Mosely was a straight BEAST this year and I didn't catch it until I reviewed all of the stats. Led the rooks by far and away in tackles plus he forced a fumble, picked two passes and sacked the QB 3 times. The kid is going to terrorize the NFL and the AFC North for the next few years for sure.

Coach of the Year: My front runner was Arians out in AZ but they crapped the bed at the end of the season. Narrow wins against STL and KC kept them from finishing 0-6 over the last 6 games. I still think it is his to loose but I wouldn't be surprised to see Garrett in here. Finally punched the Cowboys through December and into the playoffs with a Division Title. They gathered steam at exactly the same time AZ was dropping games.

Exec of the Year: Unsure

Comeback Player of the Year: My vote is for Carson Palmer. I know he is on IR after the devastating knee injury but man he tore it up (hahaha) before he tore it up. You can't tell me the Cards wouldn't be NFC favorites if he was still at the helm.

I haven't had the luxury of watching as many games this year as past so while I'm fully aware of all these names, I haven't seen enough to really judge. I'll have to report back.

Arians lost not just one but two QBs this year. He gets a major pass for that.....they're NFC West champs and probably #1 seed if that doesn't happen. It's the saddest thing to see that the Cards had a legit shot at making noise and now probably won't even last past this weekend. You see B, this is what you get when it's all about the QB. :icon_thumleft:

Garrett I can see that happening.....8-0 on the road, the balanced attack, winning in Seattle....pretty good. It looks like he and Jim Harbaugh went in opposite directions this year.

Carson Palmer is legit. Eli Manning had a quietly good comeback season but nobody cared because of their record.

A random note -- those Buffalo Bills sure were a feisty team this year.

You're a Steelers fan right?

You should be a fan of defense.

Tony Gonzalez, Jason Witten, Vernon Davis and Jimmy Graham are legit competition of the new school without touching old school guys like Shannon Sharpe.

I do love my D but it is still nice to have a QB that doesn't make me say "I'm pretty sure I can play better than that." I LOVE me some Shannon Sharpe:

A random note -- those Buffalo Bills sure were a feisty team this year.

The trade for Watkins might swing them an Exec of the Year award.